• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atrocious

nPeace

Veteran Member

Was Jesus not innocent? Yet. the Bible says...
Then the high priest ripped his outer garments, saying: “He has blasphemed! What further need do we have of witnesses? See! Now you have heard the blasphemy. 66 What is your opinion?” They answered: “He deserves to die.” Then they spat in his face and hit him with their fists. Others slapped him on the face, saying: “Prophesy to us, you Christ. Who struck you?
Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the governor’s residence and gathered the whole body of troops together around him. And disrobing him, they draped him with a scarlet cloak, and they braided a crown out of thorns and put it on his head and put a reed in his right hand. And kneeling before him, they mocked him, saying: “Greetings, you King of the Jews!” And they spat on him and took the reed and began hitting him on his head. Finally, after they had mocked him, they stripped him of the cloak and put his outer garments on him and led him off to be nailed to the stake.
Now the men who held Jesus in custody began to mock him, hitting him; and after covering his face, they kept asking: “Prophesy! Who is it that struck you?” And they said many other blasphemous things against him.
. . .They also kept slapping him in the face.
Matthew 26:65-68 ; Matthew 27:27-31;Luke 22:63-65;John 19:3

Jesus was also beaten and tortured, while in custody.
So evidently, servants of God are not exempt from cruel acts, as history shows.
Do those carrying out atrocities against the innocent go unpunished?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Jesus was also beaten and tortured, while in custody.
So evidently, servants of God are not exempt from cruel acts, as history shows.
The Baha'is are also being persecuted in Iran.

During the gathering, senior officials from a number of provincial authorities agreed to pursue a systematic policy of persecution against Iran's largest non-Muslim religious minority: the Baha'is. ...Mar 8, 2021

Baha′i in Iran — repressed and persecuted by the state - DW

No they are not exempt but rather the servants of God are the target of these cruel acts. The Bab was executed and Baha'u;lalh was twice poisoned, imprisoned and exiled and banished from place to place.

These atrocities go unpunished in this life but I believe God will punish them in the next life.

danieldemol

Premium Member
They should be punished, however change often comes about too slowly for those in power to get their due punishment in this life.

These cases highlight why power should not be placed in the hands of religious zealots though, which is a mistake Jehovah's Witnesses seem keen on repeating by giving way too much power to their governing body.

In my opinion.

nPeace

Veteran Member
The Baha'is are also being persecuted in Iran.

During the gathering, senior officials from a number of provincial authorities agreed to pursue a systematic policy of persecution against Iran's largest non-Muslim religious minority: the Baha'is. ...Mar 8, 2021

Baha′i in Iran — repressed and persecuted by the state - DW

No they are not exempt but rather the servants of God are the target of these cruel acts. The Bab was executed and Baha'u;lalh was twice poisoned, imprisoned and exiled and banished from place to place.
Losing homes and land - being displaced, is certainly hard. Some lands are free from these atrocities... at least for now, but will it always be that way? Time will tell.

These atrocities go unpunished in this life but I believe God will punish them in the next life.
Okay, so you think that God will punish people "in the next life", but they will carry out their atrocities in this life, unpunished.
In other words, God has a time of judgement.

nPeace

Veteran Member
They should be punished, however change often comes about too slowly for those in power to get their due punishment in this life.

These cases highlight why power should not be placed in the hands of religious zealots though, which is a mistake Jehovah's Witnesses seem keen on repeating by giving way too much power to their governing body.

In my opinion.
When you say they should be punished, whom do you have in mind as the punisher?

What makes you think the GB got they power from men, and not God?
As far as I know, none of the annointed of God, got they power from man, according to scripture.

Just check the evidence / records and you will see. Acts 1:8 ; Acts 2 ;

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes, unless someone chooses to punish them.

Of course, they are subject to karma...in my understanding, at least.
Karma? Is that where a person suffers in some way, during their lifetime, or dies horribly, for some atrocious act they carried out?

idea

Question Everything
An infinite cause and effect chain behind all - they were not taught well, never gained wisdom, everyone has excuse for their actions, everyone believes they are correct.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Karma? Is that where a person suffers in some way, during their lifetime, or dies horribly, for some atrocious act they carried out?

Karma (कर्म) is Sanskrit for action, but the principle of karma is causality. If one's actions or deeds are malevolent, these would build malevolent karma in one's karmic account. These can be offset by benevolent deeds, but if not, one can expect a similar pain to that which one inflicted upon another in this lifetime or a subsequent one.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Okay, so you think that God will punish people "in the next life", but they will carry out their atrocities in this life, unpunished.
In other words, God has a time of judgement.
Baha'u'llah wrote that after their physical death all humans will estimate the worth of their deeds and realize all that they have done in this world, kind of like a life review. I do not know if everyone will incur a judgment by God but I believe that the oppressors of the earth will be judged by God. Addressing the Ministers of State who oppressed Him, Baha'u'llah wrote:

“Know ye that the world and its vanities and its embellishments shall pass away. Nothing will endure except God’s Kingdom which pertaineth to none but Him, the Sovereign Lord of all, the Help in Peril, the All-Glorious, the Almighty. The days of your life shall roll away, and all the things with which ye are occupied and of which ye boast yourselves shall perish, and ye shall, most certainly, be summoned by a company of His angels to appear at the spot where the limbs of the entire creation shall be made to tremble, and the flesh of every oppressor to creep. Ye shall be asked of the things your hands have wrought in this, your vain life, and shall be repaid for your doings. This is the day that shall inevitably come upon you, the hour that none can put back. To this the Tongue of Him that speaketh the truth and is the Knower of all things hath testified.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 125

nPeace

Veteran Member
An infinite cause and effect chain behind all - they were not taught well, never gained wisdom, everyone has excuse for their actions, everyone believes they are correct.
Very thoughtful.
Actually, you know, that's one reason for God's mercy, and having a day of judgment, according to what the Bible says. Not a day where he lines up everyone and punishes them, but a day where people get a fair chance to live without the domino effect - cause and effect.

It's also the reason people forgive those who carry out atrocious acts, and even welcome them as a brother, after they have regretted what they did.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Karma (कर्म) is Sanskrit for action, but the principle of karma is causality. If one's actions or deeds are malevolent, these would build malevolent karma in one's karmic account. These can be offset by benevolent deeds, but if not, one can expect a similar pain to that which one inflicted upon another in this lifetime or a subsequent one.
I think I understand. So it's sort of like eating. A person who eats healthy is doing the body good. Whereas the unhealthy eater, is doing the body bad. Sooner or later, what that one is accumulating, will become manifest.
Similar to what the Bible says... (Galatians 6:7) . . .whatever a person is sowing, this he will also reap;

danieldemol

Premium Member
When you say they should be punished, whom do you have in mind as the punisher?
I'm talking about the torturers, and I have in mind them being punished by the state.

What makes you think the GB got they power from men, and not God?
As far as I know, none of the annointed of God, got they power from man, according to scripture.

Just check the evidence / records and you will see. Acts 1:8 ; Acts 2 ;
The biblical record is not evidence of God's doings, but nature is testimony that if God did anything, God did it a certain way which the JWs disagree with.

That JWs disagree with God is the evidence that the power of the governing body comes from their human supporters.

Just take away JW supporters (hypothetically in a thought experiment) and the governing body would have no power at all.

That is plenty of evidence that their power comes from respect in the eyes of humans.

In my opinion.

idea

Question Everything
Very thoughtful.
Actually, you know, that's one reason for God's mercy, and having a day of judgment, according to what the Bible says. Not a day where he lines up everyone and punishes them, but a day where people get a fair chance to live without the domino effect - cause and effect.

It's also the reason people forgive those who carry out atrocious acts, and even welcome them as a brother, after they have regretted what they did.

A day for all to judge the absentee parent, a day to judge God.... not a God at all from the looks of it.