• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists,

Renji

What are your religions before you stick with the belief of Atheism and what is the reason why you leave your religion?

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I didn't have an actual religion. All of the adults told me that god existed, so I believed them. I believed everything when I was a child, and then I stopped. The reason I stopped believing in god was because I just thought about it and it didn't seem very likely to me.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Yes, I'm just asking this for those who want to answer and for those people where my question is applicable:angel2:

I get you. :D For future reference, you might want to specify that next time so you don't get confusion.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What are your religions before you stick with the belief of Atheism and what is the reason why you leave your religion?
Lawrence, I am a third generation atheist with minor Anglican leanings. My own series of inner adventures culminated in an eight hour "meeting" with Vishnu and frankly, I learned much from that encounter. Try to imagine, if you will, when you look into the eyes of god... what do you see? The answer is more obvious than many may suspect. If you can answer the question, I'll entertain continuing in this thread.

Last edited:

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I had an atheist/agnostic upbringing, I explored and sort of self-converted to paganism for 6 years, then Gnosticism for 4.
After which I realised that I was forcing myself to believe, and that it didn't really feel right (cognitive dissonance), so I reverted to my natural atheism/agnosticism.

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
YmirGF said:
Try to imagine, if you will, when you look into the eyes of god... what do you see? The answer is more obvious than many may suspect. If you can answer the question, I'll entertain continuing in this thread.

You see yourself.

Lawrence said:

I left Christian Fundamentalism because I could no longer believe in a God who is supposed to be Loving and yet wants to burn the "wicked" in Hell for all eternity. Ergo, I became a Christian Universalist. After about a year into Universalism, I began doubt the Bible's stance on issues like Homosexuality and was repulsed by the cruelty of the Old Testament. I became a Deist with Taoist tendencies. But then I started to doubt the very idea of a necessary First Cause and asked the question, "If all things need a cause, as so many claim, than what caused God." After much reluctance, I assent with an Atheistic world view. However, I do not usually associate myself with most Atheists, as many are anti-religious, which I am not.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I was a protestant Christian up until my mid/late teens. I left because I felt it was an impractical, irrational and fruitless faith that served to only reinforce ignorance, denial, bigotry and hypocrisy in society.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I was pushed into non-practicioning Catholicism and later, when I was already an all-out atheist, pressured into Kardecist Spiritism (which I never accepted even slightly).

Still, I never thought of myself as a Christian, much less a Spiritist. Becoming an open atheist actually drove me into religion instead of out of it.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I was pushed into non-practicioning Catholicism and later, when I was already an all-out atheist, pressured into Kardecist Spiritism (which I never accepted even slightly).

Still, I never thought of myself as a Christian, much less a Spiritist. Becoming an open atheist actually drove me into religion instead of out of it.
I'm confused. If you didn't practice Catholicism, and didn't accept Spiritism (did you practice that one?) how were you pressured into anything?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I'm confused. If you didn't practice Catholicism, and didn't accept Spiritism (did you practice that one?) how were you pressured into anything?

I was fifteen or less at the time, changing homes nearly every year, pretty much at the mercy of my biological parents.

Let's just say that the two of them weren't much into respecting children's wishes. "Mommy" threw quite a few hysterical tantrums.

And no, I did not practice Spiritism. I never would. But not from lack of pressure.

Renji

Lawrence, I am a third generation atheist with minor Anglican leanings. My own series of inner adventures culminated in an eight hour "meeting" with Vishnu and frankly, I learned much from that encounter. Try to imagine, if you will, when you look into the eyes of god... what do you see? The answer is more obvious than many may suspect. If you can answer the question, I'll entertain continuing in this thread.

What sort of answer do you expect from me?