• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists - You wanna take part?

Me Myself

Back to my username
I mean you practically said (probably not meaning to say it that way) that if you are an atheist it is imposible that there is any moral principle you´d have to trample on if you wished to participate in this experiment.

That´s very rarely the case.

they have their own moral codes and I htink many or most bwould be trampled one way or another. I understand what you tried to do and there is nothing inherently wrong with asking someone to do an experiment especialy because you know and you phrase it so, that you are only asking. They may take it or leave it. But the parts I signaled I think were... not very elocuent on the request let´s say.

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
Well, you said "atheists" dont have a problem doing this. When you said that you were qualifying them all with the same brush.

remember the only thing all of this completely different persons have in common is to not believe in God. That is almost as little as people that do not believe in unicorns will have in common.

But I meant that in a sense that you don't fear going to hell for your disobedience. I gave an example of what I meant by that statement. I know that Atheists differ and yes the only thing common might be the rejection of God's existence.

What else could prevent an Atheist other than having gone through this before?

I was christian for many years and after seeing evidence against my christian beliefs for many years I eventually dropped them. I doubt Islam or Hinduism would be any different. I figure that if a god wants me to do something they can simply tell me to do it themselves. All the religions I've seen are passed on from one human to another with nothing to support them but blind faith. I figure the biggest enemy to religion is people thinking for themselves. Once I got out of christianity it is so blatantly obvious what a sham it is. If your good and do what Jesus or whoever tells you to do you get eternity in a magical fantasy land. If your bad, you burn in hell. Couldn't come up with a more shameless carrot and stick routine if I tried.

Zoe Doidge

Basically a Goddess
I don't think you can really just alter your beliefs in that way. The best one might be able to do is physically do what the religion requires of them, but you can't just flick a switch and suddenly have faith in God.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I don't see why someone would do this.

First of all, people who are part of their religions for decades are still unable to provide evidence for any supernatural claim. Second, if someone ended up seeing evidence for any religion you simply wouldn't convert either way. Third, how would you force yourself to believe in something you simply don't believe in?

Gharib

I want Khilafah back
It seems my initial thoughts were a bit off. I see my mistake now.

I agree with Zoe Doidge, do the practical stuff, as you obviously can't force yourself to believe in something you think is irrational.

As for why only these 3 religions, it would take too long to do many religions, unless we lower the time frame from 6 months to 3.

But anyway, no one wants to do it, but I just thought I'd correct myself.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I've done this with quite a few religions, I have no need to do it again. As said, I have 80 years if I am lucky, I am tired of wasting it.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I don't know what's gotten into me by recently I am opening many threads and almost all are aimed at Atheists. :facepalm:

Due to the number of threads, I find it difficult to keep up with everyone and I hope everyone who posts in my threads forgives me for long absences, I intend on replying to all posts, so I hope no one feels left out, I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy.

The purpose of this thread.

It has to do with this thread: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/religious-debates/134188-can-we-really-call-belief-anymore.html

I said the following statement in it:
"In Islam, we have this thing where faith and evidence work together and individually the one is dependent on the other. So the more you have of faith (which is the first step/phase) the more you have of evidence (the second step/phase)."

So I want to ask fellow RF Atheists if anyone is willing to put that statement under the microscope. What I am asking is that we select the 3 major world religions, Islam, Christianity and Hinduism and you follow the teachings of those religions one at a time for 6 months. This includes going to places of worship, having faith that God exists and trying to see if you are going to 'see' any evidence in support of that faith and it's deity. After this has finished after 18 months, we shall discuss my statement further and whether it works for just any person and any religion or whether you need to be sincere about and as a result God himself shows you his sings after your faith.

Some might see evidence that Islam is real, some Christianity and some Hinduism. Everyone is to share their experiences and what they perceived as evidence and we will discuss them.

As I have said before in my other thread, my statement isn't as black and white as it appears. So I would like to explain that statement further through a practical study if anyone is willing.

Anyone up for it? As an Atheist you don't have anything to worry about, after the 6 months you just go back to believing that religion is stupid and what not. I would ask this of the theists, but there would be a great amount of bias and it would involve breaking the rules of their current faith which they believe to be the correct faith.

So any thoughts?
I have done the equivalent of this. It's amazing how confirmation bias works.

Premium Member
Can you share those experiences? That's what I'm after.

Judaism, Theistic Satanism, Luciferianism, Thelema, Taoism, Mysticism, Gnosticism, Kabbala, some New Agey nonsense... Which first?

Premium Member
These aren't in order of how they happened but:
I was raised Jewish, and what I learned was the power of family and tradition. I also learned that if God exist it is extremely complex.
From Satanism I learned the power of rebellion, even against one's own beliefs.
From Luciferianism I learned Self power, complete self reaponsibility, the need for strict adherence to truth.
From Thelema I learned the usefulness of thinking beyond the ego, the usefulness of certain amounts of selflessness.
From Taoism I learned to accept not having all the answers and finding peace with that, as well as internal balance.
From mysticism I learned that the mind is very powerful, the terrifying strength of self deception, and that amazing effects of deep meditation against stress and such.
From Gnosticism I learned of complete balance and more of the nature of the divine if it exists.
From Kabbala I learned much about quatum physics. I tried mixing the two like many do and found one is much more useful in the quest for truth and understanding.
From New Agey nonsense I realized how amazing reality is, especially since there's nothing magic about it.

Zantiax

I kinda learned all that without religion.
Except the God part that is. Must still be behind on that one

Last edited:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This seems to me to be a test that doesn't work out for your position either way, eselam.

-If a person can just go through the motions and convince themselves of anything, then it just shows how fragile belief is. Why would promoting confirmation bias ever be a good thing?

-If a person cannot just go through the motions and convince themselves of anything, then it shows that even if the person tries these religions, they still walk away not believing them.

Pretty much, I view such a thing as completely intellectual dishonest.

And I did much of this when I was younger anyway. Ironically, my separation from the religion I was in came about because I started actively trying to believe it more, which put me face to face with the logical and ethical problems rather than allowing me to sort of dismiss them as I had been doing prior to that.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I don't know what's gotten into me by recently I am opening many threads and almost all are aimed at Atheists. :facepalm:

Due to the number of threads, I find it difficult to keep up with everyone and I hope everyone who posts in my threads forgives me for long absences, I intend on replying to all posts, so I hope no one feels left out, I wouldn't do that to my worst enemy.

The purpose of this thread.

It has to do with this thread: http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/religious-debates/134188-can-we-really-call-belief-anymore.html

I said the following statement in it:
"In Islam, we have this thing where faith and evidence work together and individually the one is dependent on the other. So the more you have of faith (which is the first step/phase) the more you have of evidence (the second step/phase)."

So I want to ask fellow RF Atheists if anyone is willing to put that statement under the microscope. What I am asking is that we select the 3 major world religions, Islam, Christianity and Hinduism and you follow the teachings of those religions one at a time for 6 months. This includes going to places of worship, having faith that God exists and trying to see if you are going to 'see' any evidence in support of that faith and it's deity. After this has finished after 18 months, we shall discuss my statement further and whether it works for just any person and any religion or whether you need to be sincere about and as a result God himself shows you his sings after your faith.

Some might see evidence that Islam is real, some Christianity and some Hinduism. Everyone is to share their experiences and what they perceived as evidence and we will discuss them.

As I have said before in my other thread, my statement isn't as black and white as it appears. So I would like to explain that statement further through a practical study if anyone is willing.

Anyone up for it? As an Atheist you don't have anything to worry about, after the 6 months you just go back to believing that religion is stupid and what not. I would ask this of the theists, but there would be a great amount of bias and it would involve breaking the rules of their current faith which they believe to be the correct faith.

So any thoughts?

my thought is...
how is this possible?

Zantiax

I try to believe what I consider the most likely possibility and 'the existence of god' is not one of them. Just doesn't make sense.