• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists Will go to Heaven?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Was the Pope wrong about atheists getting into heaven?

More recently (April 15th, 2018) Pope Francis claimed that atheists get to Heaven, thus reinforcing the impression that his opinions on the afterlife are somewhat clumsy when compared to standard biblical views. Both statements, in fact, have to do with the eternal destiny of people, the former suggesting the prospect of annihilation (i.e. the waning away of the soul) and the latter implying a form of universalism (i.e. all will ultimately be saved regardless of their faith in Christ).
Do Atheists go to Heaven? Pope Francis says yes

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are atheists who live the commandment to love others and many who call themselves Christians are sunk in hatred, envy and the like. Those who live a life of love get the reward of a life of love.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
First we need to know if heaven exists. Assuming it does then im afraid i would the get on with all those christians who tell me i will burn in hell

Kellymac

More recently (April 15th, 2018) Pope Francis claimed that atheists get to Heaven, thus reinforcing the impression that his opinions on the afterlife are somewhat clumsy when compared to standard biblical views. Both statements, in fact, have to do with the eternal destiny of people, the former suggesting the prospect of annihilation (i.e. the waning away of the soul) and the latter implying a form of universalism (i.e. all will ultimately be saved regardless of their faith in Christ).
Do Atheists go to Heaven? Pope Francis says yes
I believe they can, yes, but there is no guarantee and they will need to spend time in Purgatory as we all will.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Much to appreciate about the heavenly ways of atheists. Everything needs to be justified with good reasons, and supporting evidence.:rolleyes:

Just God's way of saying ' you don't know me til I make myself known'

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What about those of us who don't tell you that?

I have no problems with them.

Welcome to RF, i hope you like it here, sit back, relax and enjoy the cake
1298901153_1e3e1c4e06_b.jpg

night912

According to the bible, no particular prequisite is necessary for one to enter heaven. Christ is the one who ultimately decides who can enter heaven.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Basically, I would say 'No' he was not wrong. From all the afterlife information I have seen it appears we are not judged by our position on theological subjects. The quality of our hearts and minds is most important.