• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: why the Christians?

jeffrey2011

For those who think Christians are forcing thier religion on others:
Forgive us.
TELLING others about Jesus Christ and our experience with him is a basic necessity to be a Christian. God demands it from us. The bible demands it from us.

1 Peter 4:17: For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

Since accoreding to the verse, we, Christians will be the first ones to be judged. We fear judgement day.

Our job is to tell you about it.
If you don't accept it, no problem, time will come when you regret.

(I dont like Christians who force religion on others just as much as any of you. I belive it MUST be a personal experience.)

Tristesse

Forgive us.
TELLING others about Jesus Christ and our experience with him is a basic necessity to be a Christian. God demands it from us. The bible demands it from us.

1 Peter 4:17: For it is time for judgment to begin with God’s household; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?

Since accoreding to the verse, we, Christians will be the first ones to be judged. We fear judgement day.

(I dont like Christians who force religion on others just as much as any of you. I belive it MUST be a personal experience.)

I don't have much of a problem with christians telling or talking about their beliefs, but where we draw the line is when your rights interfere with the rights of others. Like passing legislation that limits the rights of other people.

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn what the bible says until you provide evidence of why I should. The key word is evidence, not assertion.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Forgive us.

matthew 10:14 If anyone will not welcome you or listen to your words, leave that home or town and shake the dust off your feet...

jeffrey2011

I don't have much of a problem with christians telling or talking about their beliefs, but where we draw the line is when your rights interfere with the rights of others. Like passing legislation that limits the rights of other people.

Quite frankly, I don't give a damn what the bible says until you provide evidence of why I should. The key word is evidence, not assertion.

And I agree, we must respect the line you draw. I apolagize for the ones who don't.

And I belive faith does not come from evidence. It comes from experimentation. And assertion as you mentioned is the basis with which the experimentation is done.

Note: Please don't 'Damn' our holy book.

Photonic

Ad astra!
And I agree, we must respect the line you draw. I apolagize for the ones who don't.

And I belive faith does not come from evidence. It comes from experimentation. And assertion as you mentioned is the basis with which the experimentation is done.

Note: Please don't 'Damn' our holy book.

Why, is your Holy Book somehow exempt from critique?

And faith most certainly does not come from experimentation, because experimentation is a method of fact finding, so it would be self defeating to use experimentation in a religious connotation.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Forgive us.
Exactly who are you telling about Jesus Christ who hasn't already heard of him?

I've been told about Jesus... many times. The reason I didn't accept him isn't because I wasn't told enough times, or not told the right way; I examined the claims of Christianity and found them lacking.

Unless you come to the table with something new and compelling - something I've never heard before, such as a good answer to the question "why should I be a Christian?" - you're not going to have any more success than all the other failed proselytizers who came before you.

If you're doing it for your god, and you think that your god will judge you for not evangelizing, how do you think he'll judge you for simply going through the motions, taking an approach that is obviously futile and doomed to fail? Is that really any better?

waitasec

Veteran Member
So your telling me to leave this forum? :(

are you here to proselytize...? it's against forum rules.
i actually didn't even consider that until you brought it up...

what i meant was that jesus seemed to imply if people won't accept your message, in the context of your post, then move on.

however there are christians who think that spreading the message includes creating laws
like the ban on same sex marriages for example.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
So your telling me to leave this forum? :(

Nope.
This forum is set up specifically so that people can discuss matters like this.
In other words, you are welcome, and we will listen to your words.
Whether we will believe those words or not is an entirely different matter. ;)
And as mentioned above; discussion is welcome.
Proselytizing is not.

jeffrey2011

are you here to proselytize...? it's against forum rules.
i actually didn't even consider that until you brought it up...

I didn't mean to proselytize. Sorry. I joined this forum to find out what people found lacking in my religion and their stands on their religion. Thats all.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I didn't mean to proselytize. Sorry. I joined this forum to find out what people found lacking in my religion and their stands on their religion. Thats all.

i didn't accuse you of doing it i just asked if you were...

christians seem to want to be in control of other peoples choices...
why would i think that? have any clue?

jeffrey2011

Forgive me, but im lost. Idk if your sarcastically accusing me of wanting to take control of other people's opinions. But if thats the case, then no. Also, no euphimism was intended.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Forgive me, but im lost. Idk if your sarcastically accusing me of wanting to take control of other people's opinions. But if thats the case, then no. Also, no euphimism was intended.

you said:
TELLING others about Jesus Christ and our experience with him is a basic necessity to be a Christian. God demands it from us. The bible demands it from us...
who hasn't a clue of who jesus is in this country?

jesus also said walk away if your words are not accepted.

I can understand the reasoning for not believing in any sort of deity. However, it seems to me that most of the time atheists focus only on how wrong Christianity is, forgoing other religions. It isn't often that you see atheists saying how ridiculous Buddhism or Sikhism or Hinduism or whatever is. Why is that?
To clarify, this is TOTALLY not a "stop picking on the Christians" thread. D: I just noticed a pattern.

[FONT=&quot]When I'm debating Religion; it’s generally with a Christian. Coming from a Christian household I know a bit of what I'm talking about. So why don't I debate Buddhism, Sikhism or Hinduism? Because I know nothing about them and I refuse to go into debate ignorant. It's just wasting everyone’s time.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]And I believe it's got something to do with the status of Christianity in America. When I was on Holidays in America, I noticed a huge amount of Evangelistswho were everywhere. It just seems that Christianity gets much more publicity then the others in the media; in turn Atheists get much more exposure to Christianity. I've never seen a Buddhist on TV screaming at me their beliefs.
[/FONT]

tomteapack

tomteapack
I can understand the reasoning for not believing in any sort of deity. However, it seems to me that most of the time atheists focus only on how wrong Christianity is, forgoing other religions. It isn't often that you see atheists saying how ridiculous Buddhism or Sikhism or Hinduism or whatever is. Why is that?
To clarify, this is TOTALLY not a "stop picking on the Christians" thread. D: I just noticed a pattern.

Lets see, all my neighbors are christian, all my political representatives are Christian, I do not really know any Buddhists, Muslims, Jainism, Hindi or believers in Thor, Zeus or RA, so, when I speak of religion, how am I going to personally relate to any other than the one I know best?
But, if you will will follow my remarks over time you will notice that I find the entire concept of god and god-believers to be foolish, superstitious nonsense.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

1) They do make arguments against theism in general as well.
2) Christianity is probably the predominant religion in the western world currently. Therefore it attracts a lot more attention. Especially when it likes to preach to all the non-believers.