• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: why the Christians?

I can understand the reasoning for not believing in any sort of deity. However, it seems to me that most of the time atheists focus only on how wrong Christianity is, forgoing other religions. It isn't often that you see atheists saying how ridiculous Buddhism or Sikhism or Hinduism or whatever is. Why is that?
To clarify, this is TOTALLY not a "stop picking on the Christians" thread. D: I just noticed a pattern.

Christianity is the dominant religion of my country, the religion I'm most familiar with and the religion my parents attempted to indoctrinate me into, and the religion which most commonly influences my life which is why this is generally the religion I discuss. I understand that this doesn't represent all religions and make no claim that it does when I discuss Christianity but it has things in common with other religions such as the reliance on religious faith and superstitious beliefs.

I have a general disdain for superstition and religious faith which applies across the board, even to those religions which are atheistic but still have superstitious beliefs.

Dan4reason

Facts not Faith
I can understand the reasoning for not believing in any sort of deity. However, it seems to me that most of the time atheists focus only on how wrong Christianity is, forgoing other religions. It isn't often that you see atheists saying how ridiculous Buddhism or Sikhism or Hinduism or whatever is. Why is that?
To clarify, this is TOTALLY not a "stop picking on the Christians" thread. D: I just noticed a pattern.

We mostly focus on Christianity because these are the people who we come into contact the most. I am sure atheists in India present most of their arguments against Islam and Hinduism.

As a very skeptical agnostic (99.99% atheist), and someone in the US who was subjected to Catholic school when I was little, I can tell you that I have issues with Christianity (esp Catholocism) because that's what I'm familiar with.

Like others here have commented, I see The Church as a threat to my country and other western countries. Christians often try to convert nonbelievers as they are instructed to do, and it gets annoying. They'll tell you that you're going to Hell, that you are a sinful, immoral person, that the government should be tied in with their religion, and the fact that they often hate gays, minorities and others just because some book says its OK. So we tend to retaliate. If a person of another religion were to treat my nonbelief with the same disrespect, I would be equally offended. But that just has never happened to me - it's always been Christians.

To be clear, my problem isn't with all Christians (my girlfriend is Christian) - it's the hateful, hypocritical ones that I can't tolerate.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A minor point....Buddhism is singularly compatible with atheism, since it doesn't require a deity.

No Good Boyo

engineering prostitute
I think it's probably because christianity is the more predominant religion in the west, and education standards are much higher in the west than in other areas. As we put so much stow into education we are far more likely to read more, research more, and question things more. As stated, Christianity is the most predominant religion here, and the religion that we (western atheist) know best. We’ve likely grown up with it, know followers, learned it in school etc. That’s why it’s the Christians.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Yes, the Christian background of many Western societies would have to play a part in this. I kind of wish they would broaden their horizons and include other religions, though. It would certainly make debate much more interesting! :p
Well, lets debate that then. What evidence do you have for the existence of Bhrahma, or Allah, or Thor?

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
I encounter mostly Christians on forums such as these, although occasionally a muslim or a hindu too. I am always careful to ask what reason they have for believing in THEIR god, not A god.

logician

One reason is that in America at least, Xianity is pushed 24/7 on some media. Such is not true for other religions.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony

I view ALL religions the same way...

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The cultural background certainly plays a major part in this.

But in my book all religions fall short on exactly the same premise:
They have no empirical, scientific or objective evidence for their central claim.

So you see, on that alone, every religion is automatically refuted. ;)

:clap

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I've never had a Hindu, Sikh, or Buddhist knock on my door, and in an insistent, friendly, and condescending manner unconvincingly try to get me to agree with their beliefs. That being said, I defend rationality against all forms of aggressive irrationality.

^ This.

In my experience, Christians seem more offended (and sometimes enraged) by Atheists' lack of belief in their savior. However, their "insistent, friendly, and condescending manner" with which they share their beliefs is rather off-putting, especially to Atheists. Actually....I would say that, personally, just the fact that they preach is rather off-putting.

I'll avoid a cliche metaphor -
Assume that you're suddenly convinced by a friend that Hershey's Milk Chocolate with Almonds contains magical healing powers. According to your friend, it can cure the common cold, flu, physical deformities and injuries, and of course cancer. Except, for the powers to work, you must consume at least one bar a week and you must tell everyone you meet about this miraculous chocolate (except that it doesn't -always- work....just usually...or sometimes). Someone who hasn't eaten chocolate for the vast majority of their life, yet is a perfectly healthy person, will hopefully automatically reject what you tell them about the magical chocolate because they have no need for the chocolate. Maybe next month they'll catch the common cold, or even die of cancer someday - but just about everyone gets sick and EVERYONE eventually dies, so they're comfortable with this reality and don't feel the need to consider your message as potentially true.

Surely you can understand why constantly referring to your faith in the magical chocolate would be irritating to such a person...?

Straw Dog

You're definitely right that there's a preference among American atheists especially to debate against Christianity. I think it is because its the world's most popular religion and has the greatest political influence in America. Besides that Christians do tend to be more adamant about evangelizing others whereas Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism, Judaism, Baha'i , etc tend to not evangelize, although there are some exceptions. Personally I've gotten to the point where debating against Christianity is like shooting fish in a barrel (no offense) so my focus has shifted elsewhere although I will still debate political issues because of their real world effects.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Christians are what I have to deal with on a daily basis around where I live. Wish there were more buddhists and hindus it would make it more interesting but I wouldn't likely disagree with them on much anyway. I disagree with christians often.

Otherright

Otherright
Buddhists don't tend to proselytize very much. In Buddhism, there is no God. Its not atheism, its non-theism and there is a difference between the two.

waitasec

Veteran Member

because those other religions adhere to live and let live...christianity has been known to impose religious beliefs on others who do not follow suit and for the very fact that 1/3 of the human population call themselves christian...
in the states is more like 60% to 76%
:rainbow1:

Tristesse

As an atheist I'm perfectly happy picking on other religions for their silly beliefs, but as an american the vast majority are christian. Not to mention that in the U.S. it's christians who are trying to limit the rights of others through legislation. When you happen to carry the vast majority and your beliefs are rediculous, be prepared for most of the ridicule.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
It is true that most atheists arguing against theism here come from Christian backgrounds, and that colors their conception of the god(s) that they reject. As an atheist, though, I've seen another pattern. Whenever I have argued against general belief in gods, including non-Western gods, most of the respondents are also Christians, and they do tend to influence the direction that threads take. It isn't just a bias that atheists have imposed on these discussions. We keep getting pulled back to Christian themes and memes, because those are the themes and memes that most people want to discuss. Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Buddhists, etc., are in great supply here, but they still constitute a minority of participants.

Last edited: