• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: Why Shouldn't We Follow Jesus?

Handyman355a

Few would disagree that the life Jesus lived as portrayed in the Bible is a good example to live by. I would go further and argue it is the best example to live by, almost objectively so. To me, the questions often debated on these forums are almost irrelevant. It almost doesn't matter whether or not Jesus existed, or whether or not Jesus was the Son of God and performed miracles. We will likely never be able to know the answers to these questions definitively. If we die and our suspicions are confirmed that there is no God, will we have regretted living a life like Jesus did, leaving the world in a better state than when we entered it? I see no reason why that would be the case.

Too often, when atheists reject the hypocritical religious moral busybodies, the corrupt megachurch pastors fleecing their flocks, the outright crimes committed by some religious people and in the name of their religions, we tend to reject the concept wholesale without retaining what can be good about it. Atheism is just a rejection of belief in a god and therefore does not answer any moral questions; it isn't intended to. That isn't to say that atheists lack morality because that's not true either. But we tend to piece one out based on reason loosely based on the Golden Rule. But is this enough? I don't think so either.

Having a moral code based on reason is a good thing, but without the impetus to actually put it into practice in all situations, then we end up living our lives in cruise control at the whims of our desires. Most of us aren't terrible people. The harm we inflict on most people tends not to be intentional. Yet, we still harm others out of a sense of opportunity, out of a desire for justice or vengeance, or we still harbour hatred for others. By actively making an effort to live more like Jesus did, we might fall short, but the attempt would most certainly make our lives immeasurably better. So I pose the question again: Why shouldn't we atheists follow Jesus?
Few would disagree that the life Jesus lived as portrayed in the Bible is a good example to live by. I would go further and argue it is the best example to live by, almost objectively so. To me, the questions often debated on these forums are almost irrelevant. It almost doesn't matter whether or not Jesus existed, or whether or not Jesus was the Son of God and performed miracles. We will likely never be able to know the answers to these questions definitively. If we die and our suspicions are confirmed that there is no God, will we have regretted living a life like Jesus did, leaving the world in a better state than when we entered it? I see no reason why that would be the case.

Too often, when atheists reject the hypocritical religious moral busybodies, the corrupt megachurch pastors fleecing their flocks, the outright crimes committed by some religious people and in the name of their religions, we tend to reject the concept wholesale without retaining what can be good about it. Atheism is just a rejection of belief in a god and therefore does not answer any moral questions; it isn't intended to. That isn't to say that atheists lack morality because that's not true either. But we tend to piece one out based on reason loosely based on the Golden Rule. But is this enough? I don't think so either.

Having a moral code based on reason is a good thing, but without the impetus to actually put it into practice in all situations, then we end up living our lives in cruise control at the whims of our desires. Most of us aren't terrible people. The harm we inflict on most people tends not to be intentional. Yet, we still harm others out of a sense of opportunity, out of a desire for justice or vengeance, or we still harbour hatred for others. By actively making an effort to live more like Jesus did, we might fall short, but the attempt would most certainly make our lives immeasurably better. So I pose the question again: Why shouldn't we atheists follow Jesus?

Thomas Jefferson was considered by many to be an atheist, even though He created His own Life and Morals of Jesus of Nazareth. He said, "Abstracting what is really his from the rubbish in which it is buried, easily distinguished by its lustre from the dross of his biographers, and as separable from that as the diamond from the dunghill, we have the outlines of a system of the most sublime morality which has ever fallen from the lips of man; outlines which it is lamentable he did not live to fill up." Being an atheist like Jefferson is a compliment.

bnabernard

How do you convince people that a change of lifestyle is going to benefit them when they are content with the lifestyle they have and maintain 'freedom of choice'

Shad

Veteran Member
So I pose the question again: Why shouldn't we atheists follow Jesus?

For the sole reason that I can not ignore the dark parts of his life, message and his claims. Such as attacking people in the temple, his doomsday claims and his rhetoric regarding disbelievers. Also due to his God claims, as per the Bible and Christians, I can not ignore the acts of Jesus participated in as part of the Christian God head.

All you have demonstrated is that you have cherry picked what you liked about Jesus and his message which is not following Jesus but following a construct you have made called Jesus.

Underhill

I think it is obvious Jesus was not talking about mental illness nor sexual perversions when he encouraged us to treat others as we would like to be treated. Rather, he was giving practical application to the second greatest commandment in the Law: "You must love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39)

I once heard a comedian bring that line up in a sketch. He used it to justify some stuff that wasn't in the good book.

jonathan180iq

Atheists aren't already followers of Jesus? That's a novel idea I haven't thought of. Their isn't such a thing as atheism without theism so if atheism only exists as an aspect of theism how are atheists not followers of Jesus? The earliest atheists in Christianity would have been the large minority Arianists at the nicene Council. The modern version of the councils "is divine not divine" debate is just manifested into new linguistic clothing theism vs naturalism is all not much has changed at all except the clothing. I mean I have yet to ever hear a single “atheist“ ever give an Interestingly insightful view to the text (and I would say the same for all theologians) nor have I ever heard a single atheist ever question theists understanding of the word “god“. 0every atheist I have ever heard talk all assumes theists understand the topic!!! There is virtual zero evidence only fractions of proof historically, and mountains of emperically evidence that says that theists do not even understand the topic.
Just wait until you've spent more time on the forum.

jonathan180iq

Rather, he was giving practical application to the second greatest commandment in the Law: "You must love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 22:39)

As has been explained already, this concept long predates the Jesus mythology. Being empathetic towards others was not a new idea that your Christ invented.

David T

Premium Member
Isn't all this really a literary debate? I am all about pre-literacy, art, nature. Isn't the theism, vs naturalism really just Nicene creed in different terms?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
We don't have to believe in Jesus to act in ways that are consistent with what the stories say about him.
Quite right. For instance, I don't have to believe in Jesus to shout at fig trees, or to attack people at a temple with an improvised bullwhip.

A Vestigial Mote

Jesus believed in God, did he not? For me it ends up being somewhat a question of whether or not I can trust someone when they do believe. That may sound bad, or be callous of me, or judgmental... I honestly don't care. The moment you say you believe in God, you lose a few points in my book. I'm not going to lie.

For some reason I'm reminded of the moment in Harry Potter when Malfoy says he needs to "stay away from the wrong sort", and Harry's reply is "I think I can tell the wrong sort for myself, thanks." That's how I feel. I don't need someone to tell me who the "wrong sort" is... or the "right sort" for that matter. And the moment you do try to tell me? By my nature I am bound to question your motives and, quite frankly, think less of you.

SAHAJANANDA

He was big on charity without strings attached.
I prefer something more motivational but less generous.
Following Jesus Christ means following the Truth. The Truth that Jesus Christ lived was described as the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God is the transformation of our lives. It is transition from 'I' to God, from my life to God's life, from my actions to God's actions, from my children to God's children, from secular life to sacred life. It is the experience of the fullness of the love of God manifesting in the fullness of the love of neighbour. When Jesus Christ said, ' I and the Father are one' he was revealing the fullness of the love of God. When he said, ' whatever you do to others, you do to me' he was revealing the fullness of the love of neighbour. The kingdom of God means ' the life of unity with God and unity with the whole of humanity and unity with the whole of creation. Jesus Christ invited everyone to grow into the kingdom of God and live the righteousness of the kingdom of God. ' First of all seek you the kingdom of God and its righteousness and all things will be added unto you' declared Jesus Christ. Hence to follow Jesus Christ is not to follow someone outside but to follow the Truth, the Way and The Life, which is the fullness of the love of God manifesting in the fullness of the love of neighbour. It is living the life of unity, that removes divisions and violence and contributes for peace in the world.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Following Jesus Christ means following the Truth. The Truth that Jesus Christ lived was described as the kingdom of God. The kingdom of God is the transformation of our lives. It is transition from 'I' to God, from my life to God's life, from my actions to God's actions, from my children to God's children, from secular life to sacred life. It is the experience of the fullness of the love of God manifesting in the fullness of the love of neighbour. When Jesus Christ said, ' I and the Father are one' he was revealing the fullness of the love of God. When he said, ' whatever you do to others, you do to me' he was revealing the fullness of the love of neighbour. The kingdom of God means ' the life of unity with God and unity with the whole of humanity and unity with the whole of creation. Jesus Christ invited everyone to grow into the kingdom of God and live the righteousness of the kingdom of God. ' First of all seek you the kingdom of God and its righteousness and all things will be added unto you' declared Jesus Christ. Hence to follow Jesus Christ is not to follow someone outside but to follow the Truth, the Way and The Life, which is the fullness of the love of God manifesting in the fullness of the love of neighbour. It is living the life of unity, that removes divisions and violence and contributes for peace in the world.
For us atheists, he doesn't have The Truth.
He just said what he said, & did what he did.
Would I follow that?
Nah.