• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists who reject positivism

jmvizanko

Uber Tool
Atheism means a lack in belief in god/gods. That's it. You could be an atheist and think science is completely wrong.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What of them? Can one reject positivism and be a 'proper' atheist?
One can embrace or reject any ideology and still be an atheist.

edit: Even "the"-ism. One might even say, especially theism, for the atheist who essentially "puts the 'a' in atheist." :)

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Is Positivism even popular among us atheists? The August Comte take on the word, at the very least, is one that I would never subscribe to.

jarofthoughts

Empirical Curmudgeon
I would say that anyone who rejects positivism, no matter their faith (or lack thereof) is a silly bugger and really needs to go live in the forest without the perks of modern society.

Anything else would be inconsistent and dishonest in the extreme.

PS: I am going by the Wikipedia definition of positivism which states: "Positivism refers to a set of epistemological perspectives and philosophies of science which hold that the scientific method is the best approach to uncovering the processes by which both physical and human events occur".

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I would say that anyone who rejects positivism, no matter their faith (or lack thereof) is a silly bugger and really needs to go live in the forest without the perks of modern society.

Anything else would be inconsistent and dishonest in the extreme.

LOL. Nicely stated.

I reject positivism myself and find the woods a bit chilly this time of year :D.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
fantôme profane;2258068 said:
Certainly. It is quite possible to be an atheistic mystic.

I have to say I am suspicious of the phrase “'proper' atheist”. It almost seems like we could be heading towards a “no true atheists” fallacy.
You can't be a "proper" atheist unless you can sit down at a white-tie dinner and know the correct use for each type of fork.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
How can i reject something when i haven't clue what it is ? i will look it up and get back to you.
Positivism is the idea that unless "studies tell us" something, we don't actually know it. Antipositivists consider the idea absurd and ironic, since "studies" usually tell us things we already knew.

kai

ragamuffin
Go away out of that. I have a suspicion you are an Oxford Don pulling our chains :D

I used to wear Oxford bags years ago does that count

Oxford+bags+002.jpg

Oh i looked it up and ----im off ha ha

Last edited: