• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: What would be evidence of God’s existence?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think I know why they do not leave you alone :) You have become an easy target for them, so the discussion or debate become "PROVE ME WRONG" and when non of you can prove the other to be fully right to fully wrong, the discussion goes in to a loop
And also because I am the stoopid fool who keeps talking to them. :rolleyes:

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I did not say that everyone will find the scriptures convincing...
I would not be convinced by the Bible but I was convinced by the Writings of Baha'u'llah because it is first person and it is not anecdotes.
It's as anecdotal to me as the Quran is.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
If God existed, where would we get the evidence? How would we get it?
You've omitted part of the question, which should read "If God exists and interacts/affects the world, where would we get the evidence?"

And that's simple, any such interaction/effect would leave a trace, and that trace would be evidence.

If God exists but does not interact/effect the world, then it doesn't matter to you, because you are of the world.
As I see it there are only three possibilities:

1. God exists and there is evidence so we should look for the evidence.
2. God exists but there is no evidence so there is nothing to look for.
3. God does not exist and that is why there is no evidence.
Well, those are just my point. And to your point number 1, if you can't find any evidence, then it is certainly possible that God exists -- but is in no way involved with the world. Therefore nothing you do affects God and nothing God does affects you, and you need no longer consider the question at all. Points 2 and 3 speak to that very thing.
I believe (1) God exists and there is evidence, because if there was no evidence God could not hold humans accountable for believing in Him. Why would God expect us to believe He exists and provide no evidence? That would be unfair as well as unreasonable.
Okay then, what is the evidence? You claim that it is in the existence of "Messengers of God." But how do you know who they are, when there have been so very many claimants? Most of the religions of the world exist because they have each accepted some -- but not other -- such claimants.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
God did provide evidence but I already know that atheists don't consider it evidence, Boy do I know it after 9 years of posting to atheists, day and night!

The hundred million dollar question is what what God provides is not good enough for atheists when it is good enough for everyone else. The other question is what would constitute evidence of God's existence for an atheist, which was the point of my OP.

I have said several times your definition of evidence is somewhat different to my version of what constitutes evidence

And my point is that a god would know what would convince an atheist. If they don't then they can hardly be considered a god.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How do you know this?

Many people speak for God but I'd they really want atheist to know him he should get to know people personally. To be honest I believe messengers and manifestations are cop outs. It limits God unless believers believe he is limited in his communications which doesn't make him God.
God is not limited in His communications but God only speaks to the Messengers because they are the only ones who can hear the Voice of God. That is my belief FWIW.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why would God do what God does not want to do just because atheists want Him to do it?

Atheists don't want gods to do anything. What we are saying to those who believe in gods and want the skeptical empiricist to join them is that they need compelling evidence. I don't ask for that because I know none exists or will be forthcoming. I am merely saying that since they don't have it, they are unable to persuade me.

If atheists do not have the slightest interest in believing in God they won't search for God and in that case they will never find God. It requires willingness and effort. It is really that simple.

Been there, done that. There was no god anywhere to be found. The claim that if one seeks in earnest he will find is as falsified as the idea that faith can move mountains. It can't. And I have no reason to continue looking for that which if there, doesn't reveal itself by having a detectible effect on discernible reality. Such a god would be irrelevant even if it existed, and knowing about it also not useful. Why would it matter if the universe were made by a conscious agent that can't be found?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I have said several times your definition of evidence is somewhat different to my version of what constitutes evidence
Yes, I know your definition is different but i go by the standard definitions of evidence and by these definitions I have evidence:

Evidence: anything that helps to prove that something is or is not true: EVIDENCE | definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid: https://www.google.com/search

Evidence is anything that you see, experience, read, or are told that causes you to believe that something is true or has really happened.
Objective evidence definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary
And my point is that a god would know what would convince an atheist. If they don't then they can hardly be considered a god.
And my point is that God knows what it would take to convince an atheist but God does not do what it would take because God has no need or desire to convince atheists. It is the atheists who have the need and desire to be convinced but God is not a short order cook flipping burgers to suit.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid:

Let me underline different words
Evidence :the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.

And my point is that God knows what it would take to convince an atheist but God does not do what it would take because God has no need or desire to convince atheists.

And you know this how?

It is the atheists who have the need and desire to be convinced but God is not a short order cook flipping burgers to suit.

Nope, wrong, any atheist i know has no such need or desire, and could not care less. If valid, falsifiable evidence were put forward it would be different thing, but no valid, falsifiable evidence has ever, that's ever, been put forward so im guessing that it is actually your need or desire you are putting on to atheists.

ChristineM

Premium Member
From my experience You won’t receive a clear an unambiguous answer in this forum.

Plenty of clear answers, you simply refuse to accept them because they would pop your bubble by excepting them

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
No, not at all. It is the responsibility of anyone who wants to be a believer to turn themselves into a believer.

We're back to why anyone would want to be a believer.
I don't see a clear reason to seek God.
Without the need to find God, there is no need to find the evidence.
One's not likely to find evidence they aren't looking for.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Let me underline different words
Evidence :the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
There are facts and there is information that indicate that my belief is true.
And you know this how?
Deductive reasoning.... Do you see any God convincing atheists? They would not be atheists of God had convinced them.
Nope, wrong, any atheist i know has no such need or desire, and could not care less. If valid, falsifiable evidence were put forward it would be different thing, but no valid, falsifiable evidence has ever, that's ever, been put forward so im guessing that it is actually your need or desire you are putting on to atheists.
If they could not care less why are 'some atheists' always asking me about evidence for God?
I have no need or desire for atheists to be anything but atheists.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God is not limited in His communications but God only speaks to the Messengers because they are the only ones who can hear the Voice of God. That is my belief FWIW.

I like the idea God can talk to you one on one. If I wanted to know a loved one, I'd speak to the loved one not friends who knew her. In some religions people talk to ancestors because they are closer to God. It makes sense since loved ones have intimate connection with some practitioners. Messengers are strangers.

I'm not sure being God and all you wouldn't believe he can relate personally. There are religions that experience God with no messengers and incarnations.

Shrugs.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I like the idea God can talk to you one on one. If I wanted to know a loved one, I'd speak to the loved one not friends who knew her.
You might like the idea but that does not mean it is possible for God to speak to people directly and be understood. I don't believe it works that way.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
There are facts and there is information that indicate that my belief is true.

Deductive reasoning.... Do you see any God convincing atheists? They would not be atheists of God had convinced them.

If they could not care less why are 'some atheists' always asking me about evidence for God?
I have no need or desire for atheists to be anything but atheists.
You spend 9 years in discussion with Atheists and you have had no need or desire to see atheists believe what you do :confused: So you discuss only to discuss your belief :confused::oops: This Dude don't not understand that :oops: