• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: What would be evidence of God’s existence?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Sounds like a god, if it wants to be viewed as existing and impactful, should make such evidence accessible to everyone. Otherwise they shouldn't be surprised it's not convincing anyone who doesn't see any reason to consider those messengers divine.
The scriptures that the Messengers reveal are accessible to everyone.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I do not see it that way at all. It is not up to the believers in God to provide evidence for atheists. We can tell atheists 'what we believe' the evidence is but if they do not accept that as evidence our job is done. As Jesus said, shake the dust off your feet.

If atheists do not have the slightest interest in believing in God they won't search for God and in that case they will never find God. It requires willingness and effort. It is really that simple.

Matthew 7:7-8
King James Version
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.

“Whoso maketh efforts for Us,” he shall enjoy the blessings conferred by the words: “In Our Ways shall We assuredly guide him.”” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 266-267
Then I want to ask you this question, and I do not mean it as an attack on you.

If it is as you say, that its only to tell atheists about our belief, then leave them alone if they do not want to listen, why do you keep challenging the exact people you say one should leave alone :confused:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why put it on the atheist?

A god would be capable of producing falsifiable evidence that could convince everyone. If he can't do that simple thing then why consider them to be a god.

That God may have a purpose that includes us having the choice to know and Love our creator in the way the creator loves us.

Regards Tony

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Whenever I say that Messengers of God are the evidence of God’s existence atheists say “that’s not evidence.”

So if “that’s not evidence” what would be evidence of God’s existence?

If God existed, where would we get the evidence? How would we get it?

As I see it there are only three possibilities:

1. God exists and there is evidence so we should look for the evidence.
2. God exists but there is no evidence so there is nothing to look for.
3. God does not exist and that is why there is no evidence.

I believe (1) God exists and there is evidence, because if there was no evidence God could not hold humans accountable for believing in Him. Why would God expect us to believe He exists and provide no evidence? That would be unfair as well as unreasonable.

I'd say personal experience. I can't relate to someone I haven't met none less see them as divine. I can't interview them. I can't even speak their language and relate by culture. Once books are translated to other languages it loses it's some of its meaning.

I think many have had profound experiences but it would be inaccurate to say it's from God even though everyone from every religion I talk to share the human feeling. No aliens.

Personal experience that leads me to a specific god without my having preexisting knowledge of it.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
That God may have a purpose that includes us having the choice to know and Love our creator in the way the creator loves us.

Regards Tony

And that god may only exist in your mind and may have no purpose except what you create with your mind.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If they reflect the person and their life, then one can at least acknowledge they are given in truth.

Regards Tony
There are a lot of fictional stories that I find truth of a kind in. But none so much to make me pledge to a cause like a religion.

I can agree that there are helpful lessons in almost every religion. But I don't believe there are gods. And if the religion requires me to believe in a god then they're going to have to give me more than just helpful life lessons.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It may surprise you that atheists don't believe in a god and therefore it does not make sense for an atheist to want your god belief to say anything.
That might be true for some atheists but not all atheists are the same. Some atheists don't care about believing in God but some atheists do care, and they would believe in God if they saw evidence for God.
However you are saying your god doesn't want to give evidence of existence (how you know this is anyone's guess)
But you are asking atheist to provide the the evidence that your god belief doesnt want to give. It seems you have more faith in an atheists powers than you have for your gods powers. I am truly honoured... Thank you
No, that was not the intent of the OP at all. I believe God gave us the evidence because I believe that the Messengers of God are the evidence that God exists, but atheists don't believe that and that is why I asked what I did:

Whenever I say that Messengers of God are the evidence of God’s existence atheists say “that’s not evidence.”

So if “that’s not evidence” what would be evidence of God’s existence?

If God existed, where would we get the evidence? How would we get it?[/QUOTE]

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
And that god may only exist in your mind and may have no purpose except what you create with your mind.

That's possible, but I can Love all humanity unconditionally because I have found a spirit in me that is more then me.

I hope my life reflects that more.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are a lot of fictional stories that I find truth of a kind in. But none so much to make me pledge to a cause like a religion.

I can agree that there are helpful lessons in almost every religion. But I don't believe there are gods. And if the religion requires me to believe in a god then they're going to have to give me more than just helpful life lessons.

Then I see we just need to be as good as we can.

That is all we both can do, belief or no belief.

Regards Tony

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
God would do what it would take to convince everyone of his existence. Why should God do that? God does not need our belief.

How do you know this?

Many people speak for God but I'd they really want atheist to know him he should get to know people personally. To be honest I believe messengers and manifestations are cop outs. It limits God unless believers believe he is limited in his communications which doesn't make him God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That doesn't mean anyone will find the scripture convincing. As evidence goes, third person anecdotes are not very strong.
I did not say that everyone will find the scriptures convincing...
I would not be convinced by the Bible but I was convinced by the Writings of Baha'u'llah because it is first person and it is not anecdotes.

ChristineM

Premium Member
That might be true for some atheists but not all atheists are the same. Some atheists don't care about believing in God but some atheists do care, and they would believe in God if they saw evidence for God.

Ehm... Atheist . a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods

Nothing more, nothing less. No atheist believes in god's. However if a god or gods were to provide evidence (which apparently they are unable to do for some reason) then any atheist will consider that evidence

No, that was not the intent of the OP at all. I believe God gave us the evidence because I believe that the Messengers of God are the evidence that God exists, but atheists don't believe that and that is why I asked what I did:

If you say so

ChristineM

Premium Member
That's possible, but I can Love all humanity unconditionally because I have found a spirit in me that is more then me.

I hope my life reflects that more.

Regards Tony

I am glad that you consider the possibility... It says much.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Then I want to ask you this question, and I do not mean it as an attack on you.

If it is as you say, that its only to tell atheists about our belief, then leave them alone if they do not want to listen, why do you keep challenging the exact people you say one should leave alone :confused:
Because they do not leave me alone so I finally had it and so I decided to challenge them to come up with better evidence than I have given them. :D .... knowing they cannot do it. :oops:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Because they do not leave me alone so I finally had it and so I decided to challenge them to come up with better evidence than I have given them. :D .... knowing they cannot do it. :oops:
I think I know why they do not leave you alone :) You have become an easy target for them, so the discussion or debate become "PROVE ME WRONG" and when non of you can prove the other to be fully right to fully wrong, the discussion goes in to a loop

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't believe those verses are seeking to convey that we will get everything we want if we pray.
I think they mean that everyone who really seeks will find God.

Then why should we seek God?
What's the benefit?

Used to be you'd sacrifice a goat or calf to God for a good harvest.

These days, belief/disbelief seems there seems no benefit to either.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
No atheist believes in god's. However if a god or gods were to provide evidence (which apparently they are unable to do for some reason) then any atheist will consider that evidence
God did provide evidence but I already know that atheists don't consider it evidence, Boy do I know it after 9 years of posting to atheists, day and night!

The hundred million dollar question is what what God provides is not good enough for atheists when it is good enough for everyone else. The other question is what would constitute evidence of God's existence for an atheist, which was the point of my OP.