• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists what should God do to make you believe in ?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
It depends on what god is and its nature. I was never raised with knowing what a god is; so, to use it as a concept (outside of what I learned on RF) would be near to impossible.

In order to make sense of this question, I would have to have some idea what you're speaking of. Since this is a question you've asked, I'd assume you'd know more of what you're asking than I would.

Many atheist on RF had christian experiences where upbringing or otherwise. So, like christians, it's easier (in my opinion) to speak of god the way christians do. If you're speaking to someone who does not have that background (there are many surprisingly), they'd look at christians and atheist funny wondering what in the world are they talking about.

@Subduction Zone

See post #57

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Pretty much the same sort of things that it takes to convince me that anything exists.

So, first, a clear definition of the properties that are claimed for 'God'.

Then, a phenomenon predicted from the assumption of existence that is different than what is predicted from the default of non-existence. This should be a phenomenon that is sufficient to prove essential parts of the definition.

Then an actual observation of that phenomenon.

I have yet to see a clear definition or a description of a phenomenon that doesn't have an easier explanation without resorting to supernatural beings.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Gods problem, not mine.

God's problem? You speak of god as if it exists and then blaming it.

That's the same logic as a christian saying that god blesses people and we give thanks to him for creating the world.

Christians have a concept of god, so what they say makes sense based on their criteria of truth. So, even though I don't believe in their god, I understand where they come from.

However, I don't for many atheists because they express similar sentiment (their disdain for god) but have no criteria and definition to which their sentiment relates to. It becomes an empty comment.

It's very hard asking you guys to clarify it, though.

Last edited:

ChristineM

Premium Member
Why end of story. Why are you unable to tell some solution ?

It is not up to me to provide a solution it is up to the god, if said god is unable to provide a solution to prove there existence then they are not worthy of godhood and as i say, that is not my problem.

ChristineM

Premium Member
God's problem? You speak of god as if it exists and blaming it.

That's the same logic as a christian saying that god blesses people and we give thanks for him for creating the world.

Christians have a concept of god, so what they say makes sense based on their criteria of truth. So, even though I don't believe in their god, I understand where they come from.

However, I don't for many atheists because they express similar sentiment but have no criteria to which their sentiment relates to.

jiFfM.jpg

I did not provide the op, i provided opinion on the op, a hypothetical scenario . If you dont like that then thats just tough.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
What should God do to make to believe that he really cares and is already trying his level best ?

Or what makes you think that God isn’t trying his level best ?

Or what makes you think that you cannot deny his existence if would have really cared to prove his existence ?

That is the reason I posted what I did. I honestly don't know the answer to this question. Therefore if a God exists, I have to leave it in their hands.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
God should end the mystery and quit playing belief with faith games. Make it a known by all situation already.

Omni God shows incredible restraint in revealing God's own presence and power.

Anything less than obvious to all is playing immoral games with people's lives.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
View attachment 48105

I did not provide the op, i provided opinion on the op, a hypothetical scenario . If you dont like that then thats just tough.

I was just conversating with you. I'm not sure why you get angry or frustrated so quickly, but I honestly wanted to know (since I don't know what you, atheist, and christians speak of), when you talk about what god does/says/blame/blessings, what in the world are you guys referring to.

RF ideally invites conversations and some are a bit more sensitive than others. So, if you don't know, that's all you needed to say. Nothing more complicated than that.

ChristineM

Premium Member
I was just conversating with you. I'm not sure why you get angry or frustrated so quickly, but I honestly wanted to know (since I don't know what you, atheist, and christians speak of), when you talk about what god does/says/blame/blessings, what in the world are you guys referring to.

RF ideally invites conversations and some are a bit more sensitive than others. So, if you don't know, that's all you needed to say. Nothing more complicated than that.

Oh here we go again, how predictable. I am not angry or frustrated. I gave my answer and you repeatedly dissed it because it doesn't fit your idea. For the last time, i am not a god so how should i know how mythical beast would reveal themselves as non mythical? Sorry if that does not jel with you but thats life...

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Oh here we go again, how predictable. I am not angry or frustrated. I gave my answer and you repeatedly dissed it because it doesn't fit your idea. For the last time, i am not a god so how should i know how mythical beast would reveal themselves as non mythical? Sorry if that does not jel with you but thats life...

Christine. I'm not a question/answer person-take it as is, person. I like to discuss things; it's just my nature. If I'm curious, I'd ask more about it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I'm not a god... and mythical beast... and all of that."

I have no issues with you Christine. I was just curious with atheists here on this OP about what they are saying about the god they don't believe in, "who" are they blaming, and all of that.

I'm not quite sure why, but most atheists I speak with on RF are very sensitive around the god-topic. I'd say more than christians, to put it honestly. Why is that, I don't know.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you ever saw God calming any definition for himself ? Why are you putting unnecessarily blames ?

No blame. Just a precondition to know what I am talking about.

If someone claims a neutrino exists, I want to know what they mean by the term 'neutrino'. Then I want to see a specific phenomenon that can be best described by a neutrino.

I have yet to see any being claim to be God. I have seen many people claim that they know a God exists. But I have yet to see a definition of the concept that is coherent and has actual evidence to back it up.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Why do you ask atheists? You should start with the people you almost agree with. Ask the people of the church next street what it would take them to believe in the same god as you. That would be a realistic question. And when you have convinced all the believers to believe in the same god, then come to the atheists and agnostics.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I seriously doubt there is a god that makes bourbon and if there is, I wouldn't worship it. A malt god on the other hand ...

Whiskey/whisky. I prefer either bourbon or a good peaty island scotch.