• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists what should God do to make you believe in ?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Believing doesn’t harm anything. What harm is there in believing this ? :)

I don't know. Is there harm in self-delusion? Is it something to be guarded against? Should we attempt not to believe falsehoods? How is that accomplished? Can belief of unsupported ideas lead to actions that are questionable?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Believing doesn’t harm anything.

Well, that depends on what is being believed, doesn't it?

I'ld say that the religious beliefs of say ISIS are very harmful, to name an obvious extreme.

The beliefs of Jehova's witnesses are also quite harmful, as among those beliefs is a refusal for certain medical assistance. These people have been known to let their children suffer and die while refusing treatment for irrational religious reasons.

It doesn't get more harmful then death.

QuestioningMind

The one who created all the things that we all see all around us.

They could provide evidence by either demonstrating the creation of another universe or by at the very least explaining in detail precisely how they went about creating this universe.

I do like Matt Dillahunty's stance of: I don't know but an omniscient god would.

Otherwise, I would need empirical evidence of such a god that could be tested and verified. The issue is that I am uncertain that any definition of "god" is sufficient for me to even care about. Is anything that is omnipotent a god? Omniscient? What if there are more than one? Perhaps a trinity god does exist with one being Omnipotent, one Omniscient, and one Omnibenevolent and so on. How could we ever possibly prove that such a thing even exists? Something can claim to be omnipotent but could we even test that and even if it is omnipotent, is it a god? What if it is simply a being like Dr. Manhattan claiming to be a god? Alternatively, is there even a difference? Same with every other given description of definition. Occam's Razor dictates that the least complicated system is the most likely to be true as it has the path of least resistance. A being with infinite "magnitude" then would be infinitely complex and therefore impossible.

Point being, I don't know other than providing sufficient evidence. If we make the claim that an infinite being existed and if we required evidence of equivocal value, I don't think the burden of proof can be met.

Bird123

Ok, let's look at an action of God. God's action is to take no action in convincing you to believe.

Hmmm? Why not? Believing has never ever been what it's all about.

Now, if God popped in to get you to believe in Him, that action would intimidate your choices from that point on.

Hmmm. it's important that your choices be your choices without threats or intimidation. That makes sense because one learns from the results of their free choices. If those choices aren't ours, how much learning can there be??

Well, OK!! The sky is the limit on those choices. Hmmm?? Now what should I choose next? The best choices will bring the best results. I got it.

You have all my Love and Kindness.

I can't go wrong with that one. That's what I see. It's very clear!!

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I think it's nice that you capitalize Yahweh, Jesus and even Old and New Testament.

But I think that the pre-incarnate Jesus WAS the Yahweh of the Old Testament.

He and the Father are One.

Well, I did learn something from my days in Christianity. ;)
Jesus was very loving and likeable. Yahweh was not. But I know what you mean.