• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists vow to fight monument rejection in Levy County, Fla.

Enai de a lukal

If it isn't discrimination taking down Christian or other religious monuments, then it isn't discrimination for taking down or not allowing "atheist" monuments.

And therein lies the rub; we are told it is NOT discrimination, or a violation of rights or the separation of church and state, to have Christian religious monuments, all over the place, and often placed in areas that probably imply a conflict (such as in secular public institutions like courthouses). Well, but then, on what basis are they rejecting atheists a similar privilege? :shrug:

This case is just yet another example of the religious wanting to have their cake and eat it too.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Here in my area, they are made the city remove a war memorial that has been up for many, many years because it is in the shape of a cross. If it isn't considered discrimination in that case, then this can't be called discrimination, either. You can't have it both ways.

Yup, I agree. But I think in relation to this particular example (ie. the OP, not your example), the issue is more that there is a 'cake and eat it too' rule being applied.

Religious statements and statues are allowed or not, I reckon, and in this context even atheism can be considered a 'religion', even if that is a little loose in terms of definition.

Did they replace the war memorial with something non-religious, or just boot it altogether?

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
To be fair, if they want to put up a monument to represent atheism, they could do better than quote-mining.

Perhaps a shoe.

I won't disagree, but that's not really the point.

The fundamental problem, IMO, is that Christians, at least of the conservative variety, believe that this country belongs to them, and them only, because, in their theology, their god gave it to them, and them alone. Which, I shouldn't have to point out, is total garbage. But this is what we have to deal with, on a day to day basis. It gets old, quick.