• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: u mad, bro?

U mad, atheists?

• Initially, I left out of anger towards god(s).

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Initially, I left out of anger towards my religious establishment.

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Initially, I left out of anger towards my religious community.

• Initially, I left out of anger towards the religion's dogma.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Initially, I left out of anger towards some other reason (name reason below).

• Now, I'm still angry at god(s).

• Now, I'm still angry at the religious establishment.

• Now, I'm still angry at the religious community.

• Now, I'm still angry at the religion's dogma.

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Now, I'm still angry at some other reason (name reason below).

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
Atheist only poll, but everyone can partake in the discussion. :D

A lot of theists have ideas on why atheists leave their religions, but I don't often see them actually talking to atheists about their reasoning. Anger or rebellion tend to be a presumed, I've noticed. Is it true, though?

Here we can discuss our own personal reason, and how much of that was influenced by anger. The questions are in regard to, firstly, if anger was an initial motive, and secondly, if you are still angry. Mark all that apply!

I ran out of room to add more options (or at least, it no longer gives me the option to edit them), so if none of these apply to you, please describe your own experiences with anger vs. your previous religion. Thanks!

Last edited:

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I wish I had the option to add "none of the above" to my own list... For me, I didn't really leave Christianity out of anger - I just felt that the establishment didn't really represent my core values to an irreconcilable degree. My old religious path went one way, and I went another, and from there my path branched out into all kinds of new areas I had never considered before.

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I wouldn't call it anger.

It's more along the lines of discernment between reality and fantasy.

If there's any anger, I suppose it's stemming from actions that are completely avoidable if that distinction wasn't so convoluted and damaging that people would do things in the name of whatever is dancing around in their fantasy life where it needs pointing out before awful things transpire in reality as a result of their actions.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Not sure it was anger but i was pretty pissed at the congregation of my church.

14 years old, undiagnosed dyslexic, reckoned to be a failure at school, i sought solice in church. Problem, the teens were to read out a passage from the bible every Sunday morning. I of course could not read so when my turn came i could not do it. The congregation thought it fun to mock the idiot who couldn't read the bible. After several weeks of mockery i walked out never to return.

Soon after my dyslexia was diagnosed, remedial eye glasses prescribed, letters came in to focus, i taught myself to read. The second book i ever read was the bible, looking for the reason for their hatred. Yes its all in there, why you should not tolerate difference,

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
I am not an Atheist. So, I did not answer the poll

I am also curious what causes anger, if there is anger in people (in this context; being in a religious environment)

Because once you know what causes the anger then you can do something about it

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Not sure it was anger but i was pretty pissed at the congregation of my church.

14 years old, undiagnosed dyslexic, reckoned to be a failure at school, i sought solice in church. Problem, the teens were to read out a passage from the bible every Sunday morning. I of course could not read so when my turn came i could not do it. The congregation thought it fun to mock the idiot who couldn't read the bible. After several weeks of mockery i walked out never to return.

Soon after my dyslexia was diagnosed, remedial eye glasses prescribed, letters came in to focus, i taught myself to read. The second book i ever read was the bible, looking for the reason for their hatred. Yes its all in there, why you should not tolerate difference,

Lol...

Reminds me of the time I chalked in "killroy was here" with a peace sign on the classroom chalk board and was reprimanded that it was a satanic and evil symbol as it depicted a broken cross upside down.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I had an atheist point in my life where I had abandoned Christianity, become a Luciferian then kind of drifted into atheism. I was 17-18 and was becoming sceptical of much mainstream theistic argument as I recall, wanting more material evidence of God. I think there was some generalised anger, too. I think I'd also burned out during an intense religious overall seeker phase and atheism actually gave me a chance to detach from that and have a more objective look. I became a Christian again after that but it was a valuable phase that helped me become a more mature theist.

Last edited:

Suave

Simulated character
I wish I had the option to add "none of the above" to my own list... For me, I didn't really leave Christianity out of anger - I just felt that the establishment didn't really represent my core values to an irreconcilable degree. My religious path went one way, and I went another, and from there my path branched out into all kinds of new areas I had never considered before.

I fail to understand how anybody could be angry towards a super natural deity whose existence he doubts is real?

There is a famous quote attributed to Mahatma Gandhi. It is, “I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

(edited) *I too am a big fan of Christ, but not so much a fan of most organized religion.*

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
I am not an Atheist. So, I did not answer the poll

I am also curious what causes anger, if there is anger in people (in the context of being in a religious environment)

Because once you know what causes the anger then you can do something about it

Very true... If anger is a factor, though, I wonder how easily one can address the issue when they are surrounded by the very thing that makes them angry? Often times, in the Christian context, they are told to "pray about it and give it to god."

ecco

Veteran Member
Atheist only poll, but everyone can partake in the discussion.

As you mentioned later, there are many reasons that were not included in your list. You seem to be under the impression that most atheists became angry at religion/god(s).

I never left, because I was never indoctrinated into a religion. However, I was told to go to Sunday school around age ten. I went for about three weeks. I never got into religion after that, not because of anger, but out of the realization of the silliness of religious beliefs. That's a view I hold to this day.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
in the Christian context, they are told to "pray about it and give it to god."
Such a thing would not make me angry

There is 1 thing that would make me angry, and that is showing off arrogance by belittling me and my feelings. Not taking me serious. I think that this happens a lot in religions, esp. in those who claim to have the ultimate truth. Easily the adherents fall prey to arrogance and belittling/disparaging others (who have a (slightly) different view (which is not tolerated). I think that is the key in anger arising in people ('kills' your creativity, spontaneity and trust (as they don't trust you)). As long as there is respect there is less place for anger IMO

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
As you mentioned later, there are many reasons that were not included in your list. You seem to be under the impression that most atheists became angry at religion/god(s).

Not necessarily my view, but it's something I heard often in church (or at least, the churches I went to) - that people would become atheists because they are angry at or rebelling against god. I was just curious how much truth there was in that. I might redo this thread in the future with a better, more accurate poll to figure that out. The poll I have put up is proving to be pretty insufficient. :D

ecco

Veteran Member
I had an atheist point in my life where I had abandoned Christianity, become a Luciferian then kind of drifted into atheism. I was 17-18 and was becoming sceptical of much mainstream theistic argument as I recall, wanting more material evidence of God. I think I'd also burned out during an intense religious overall seeker phase and atheism actually gave me a chance to detach from that and have a more objective look. I became a Christian again after that but it was a valuable phase that helped me become a more mature theist.

From your own words above, you were never an atheist. You may have gotten burned out. You may have gone through a stage of skepticism. But, since you were still looking for (longing for?) evidence, you weren't really an atheist. At best a skeptist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

A lot of theists have ideas on why atheists leave their religions, but I don't often see them actually talking to atheists about their reasoning. Anger or rebellion tend to be a presumed, I've noticed. Is it true, though?

Here we can discuss our own personal reason, and how much of that was influenced by anger. The questions are in regard to, firstly, if anger was an initial motive, and secondly, if you are still angry. Mark all that apply!

I ran out of room to add more options (or at least, it no longer gives me the option to edit them), so if none of these apply to you, please describe your own experiences with anger vs. your previous religion. Thanks!
I never really left a religion.

My upbringing wasn't religious. I was pretty much apathetic to religion until I tried to see a way to accepting one. That process pushed me from apathetic to actively opposed.

It wasn't anger that pushed me away; more revulsion (at some of the toxic things that were being taught there) and incredulity (because the doctrines and theology just didn't make sense rationally).

ecco

Veteran Member
I fail to understand how anybody could be angry towards a super natural deity whose existence he doubts is real?
Can you name some atheists who are angry toward god? I know of none. I doubt any atheists on RF following this thread will say, "I am angry towards God".

The whole "atheists are angry towards God" is a theistic strawman that has no basis in fact.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
From your own words above, you were never an atheist. You may have gotten burned out. You may have gone through a stage of skepticism. But, since you were still looking for (longing for?) evidence, you weren't really an atheist. At best a skeptist.
Excuse me.

I was an atheist. I was actually pretty hardcore at one point. I know my own history, thanks.

ecco

Veteran Member
Not necessarily my view, but it's something I heard often in church (or at least, the churches I went to) - that people would become atheists because they are angry at or rebelling against god. I was just curious how much truth there was in that.
I think that even in this short time, you must realize that the people in the churches you went to didn't have any clues about what actually motivates atheists.

I guess it's more soothing for them to believe atheists hate God than to accept that atheists are atheists because:
  • There are no reasons to believe in a god.
  • There is no evidence for a god.
  • There is the realization that gods are the creations of man's imaginings.
  • That belief in god is childish and silly.

Nimos

Can you name some atheists who are angry toward god? I know of none. I doubt any atheists on RF following this thread will say, "I am angry towards God".

The whole "atheists are angry towards God" is a theistic strawman that has no basis in fact.
Probably not against God as such, if one is first convinced that he doesn't exist.
But I can fully understand feeling upset having lived a life being told and fear the idea of hell, not exactly some ideas I would call healthy to fill a child's head with. And God of such religion is the foundation of which people's learn their kids such things.

So it depends how you look at it, whether you blame the specific religion for teaching this or you blame the God by which the religion get their "wisdom" from. I think both are valid reasons to be slightly upset.

Full blood atheist here, never been religious :)