• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists : something from nothing?

Silver

Just maybe
These are questions for atheists mainly but anybody can answer.

How can a universe come into existence from nothing?
How can the big bang happen from nothing?
Surely there must be an intelligence behind it?
Surely nothing creates/produces nothing?

Silver:D

Kerr

No one said it comes from nothing, we just don´t know what was before :p. Think the "M theory", or whatever it is called, talks about that, though...

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's not an atheistic position that the universe or the singularity that sparks the Big Bang comes into being from nothing. The universe may be everlasting. Personally, I think there is an intelligence behind it --you, me, him, her, each of us.

Silver

Just maybe
It's not an atheistic position that the universe or the singularity that sparks the Big Bang comes into being from nothing. The universe may be everlasting.

Surely the universe can be expected to contain nothing, forever. Just an emptiness.
As soon as something comes into existence there must be a reason for it....an intelligence perhaps.
Without an intelligence/God I would expect an everlasting emptiness to exist.

Silver

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Surely the universe can be expected to contain nothing, forever. Just an emptiness.
As soon as something comes into existence there must be a reason for it....an intelligence perhaps.
Without an intelligence/God I would expect an everlasting emptiness to exist.

Silver
Surely the universe can equally be expected to contain something, forever. Including nothing and emptiness, as we make them somethings.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I can't get my head around that.
Why not?

Are you taking the position that by default there has to nothing before there can be something?

Does this nothing also include all the possible deities?
Meaning, when you say "nothing" do you really mean "nothing" or do you mean "nothing but..."

Silver

Just maybe
Why not?

Are you taking the position that by default there has to nothing before there can be something?

Does this nothing also include all the possible deities?
Meaning, when you say "nothing" do you really mean "nothing" or do you mean "nothing but..."

If there is no God/Intelligence-being in existence, and if there has to be nothing before, then I would expect that nothing to continue, forever. As soon as something comes into existence (a string for example, or energy) then I would expect a God/intelligence to exist.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
If there is no God/Intelligence-being in existence, and if there has to be nothing before, then I would expect that nothing to continue, forever. As soon as something comes into existence (a string for example, or energy) then I would expect a God/intelligence to exist.
Why?
I mean why does a god/intelligence have to exist at all, let alone from the very beginning?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Doesn't that part in red indicate that nothing has not "continued forever"? Doesn't that indicate that there was something before?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Doesn't that part in red indicate that nothing has not "continued forever"?
Seems to me that if there was ever a time when there was absolutely nothing, then there would always be absolutely nothing.

The problem is when people make the claim that God willed himself from absolute nothingness, then claim that something cannot come from nothing.

Silver

Just maybe
Doesn't that part in red indicate that nothing has not "continued forever"? Doesn't that indicate that there was something before?

Because something exists, the conclusion I reach, then, is that God/Intelligent-being existed before in the beginning.