• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists reaction to Einstein Quote is good?

questfortruth

The atheistic ideology rolls over RF and other internet sites, and main journals.
That is why I need the acceptance of this quote from atheistic community.
I need to be sure, that my proof of Riemann Hypothesis will not
be rejected just because this Einstein's quote is in the introduction.

"When the solution is simple, God is answering" (Albert Einstein).

What is your advice, is it good for pure mathematical paper to have such quotes in introduction, they are describing the simplicity of the results.

Is this a good, acceptable quote for a scientific paper, for example like this one:

Dmitri Martila, Stefan Groote, Stats, 5 (2): 538-545 (2022).
Evaluation of the Gauss Integral
The paper is the first analytical form of the Error Function in Eq.(A6),
which is of utmost ease and elegance. By definition, a function is analytical
if it has a converging Taylor series.

Last edited:

questfortruth

Not negative at all.
Einstein just isn't someone I look to for the answer to the
ultimate question about life, the universe, & everything.
I don't look to anyone for that.
But what is your advice, is it good for pure mathematical paper to have such quotes in introduction, they are describing the simplicity of the results.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The atheistic ideology rolls over RF and other internet sites, and main journals.

Is this a good, acceptable quote for a scientific paper, for example like this one:

There does not seem to be any evidence Einstein ever said this.

The closest I can find is Jacob Bronowski saying the following, in "The Ascent of Man" (1974):

“ it is Einstein who is the New Testament figure. He was full of humanity, pity, a sense of enormous sympathy. His vision of nature herself was that of a human being in the presence of something god-like, and that is what he always said about nature. He was fond of talking about God: ‘God does not play at dice’, ‘God is not malicious’. Finally Niels Bohr one day said to him, ‘Stop telling God what to do’. But that is not quite fair. Einstein was a man who could ask immensely simple questions. And what his life showed, and his work, is that when the answers are simple too, then you hear God thinking. “

So I recommend you do not attribute this to Einstein. The internet is riddled with false quotes from him and this looks like one more.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But what is your advice, is it good for pure mathematical paper to have such quotes in introduction, they are describing the simplicity of the results.
So far, I've yet to see a mathematical
argument that sheds any light on gods.
So what if some scientists believe or
disbelieve in them? Just their opinions.
My advice:
Don't take opinions as gospel.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
One of many comments Einstein made on god.
"I believe in Spinoza's God, who reveals himself in the lawful harmony of all that exists, but not in a God who concerns himself with the fate and the doings of mankind."

And another.
"The word God is for me nothing but the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of venerable but still rather primitive legends"

And another
"It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

These are attributed to Einstein, they appear in his writing in his handwriting, or were made in front of witnesses.

As for your claimed quote "When the solution is simple, God is answering". I can find no record of Einstein saying this it does not appear in his writings so i can only assume it's a copy of a quite by Jacob Bronowski and attributed to Einstein in that systematic but false repeating.

As to using the quote i would not recommend attributing it to Einstein unless you have solid evidence he actually said it

Last edited:

HonestJoe

What is your advice, is it good for pure mathematical paper to have such quotes in introduction, they are describing the simplicity of the results.
Sure, as long as you are recognising that Einstein was referring to "God" as a metaphor and that it is indeed only a reference the the simplicity of results, not any kind of attempt to suggest an actual God exists or is relevant to the topic of the paper.

To be honest though, I'd recommend you focus on the actual technical details of your "papers" rather than worrying about prettying them up with irrelevant quotes. Gilded poop is still poop. :cool:

HonestJoe

Another negative reaction. There is one neutral reaction, no positive ones. Thank you.
My answer to your actual question was neutral at worst. The bit you quoted was distinct constructive criticism (in aggressively sarcastic form I admit, but simple statements never seem to get through to you :cool: ).

Anyway, if you raise an idea but get almost exclusively negative responses to it, maybe you should consider the possibility that it wasn't a good idea in the first place.

Sheldon

Veteran Member

Only if one understands that it is being used as metaphor, and not meant literally. Sadly a lot of theists tend to leap on this sort of metaphor, as if it has any relevance to the science, which of course it does not.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Another negative reaction. There is one neutral reaction, no positive ones. Thank you.

You understand this is a debate forum right, no one is obliged to share the views of anyone else, especially if that person is misrepresenting metaphor as if it was meant literally. I don't know if Einstein ever said this, he is probably misquoted, or has quotes wrongly assigned to him more than most, but if he did say it, then we can be pretty confident that he did not mean it literally. If you want to subjectively call that a negative response crack on, but that's a pretty meaningless claim.

pearl

Einsteins' famous quote 'God does not play dice'.
However, Einstein was not an atheist as he said himself in an interview in 1929. Einstein had his personal views about religion and he believed in what he called “cosmic religion” where God’s presence was evident in the order and rationality of nature and the universe in all its aspects and expressions. Chaos and randomness are, therefore, not part of nature (“God does not play dice”).

According to Einstein, “cosmic religious feeling is the strongest and noblest motive for scientific research”. In his opinion, the goal of a scientist should be to try to begin to understand the universe. Einstein had a deep feeling of awe in front of nature and the universe and he believed that “strenuous intellectual work and the study of God’s Nature are the angels that will lead me through all the troubles of this life with consolation, strength, and uncompromising rigor” (letter to Pauline Winteler, 1897).
Physics and Beyond: “God does not play dice”, What did Einstein mean? (stmarys.ac.uk)

joe1776

...What is your advice, is it good for pure mathematical paper to have such quotes in introduction, they are describing the simplicity of the results....
Since the writer would likely get unanimous agreement from readers that elegant, simple solutions are more likely to be right, why introduce controversy?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member

• I doubt that a quote would lead to rejection of a journal submission that would otherwise be acceptable, but the quote might not make it into the published paper.
  • Do you think that the solution is simple in the eyes of mathematicians?
  • Does something like this belong is a journal submission? I'm not used to seeing such quotations in technical papers.
  • It seems like you are endorsing your work, that you feel that it is simple, and that that indicates that it is correct, or worse, divine. I say, let your argument do the talking for itself.
  • A reference to God is going to have an undesirable effect on your work as it did on Einstein's. There are a few things that reduce my estimation of Einstein, such as his personal life. Using the words God to mean the laws of physics is another.
  • Others have warned you of the risk of using apocryphal quotes.

QuestioningMind

Einstein on 24 March 1954: It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly.

Obviously you are one of the dishonest theists he was talking about, since there's no evidence that he actually said the quote you are trying to attribute to him. How naughty of you.

Daemon Sophic

It is simply a statement based upon the theological beliefs of the writer, in order to add color to his paper. It has no bearing whatsoever upon the proof discussed in the paper, and the proof has no bearing whatsoever upon the existence of a God-like figure.
It is added only for drama.

A more appropriate, and more relative turn of phrase would be, “Simplicity is the mark of genius.”
But of course it would also be a sign of unabashed hubris to add it in a scientific/mathematical paper.
I.e. - Leave all such crap OUT of any of your submissions.