• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: If God existed would God……

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
How could you speculate about it without any preconceived notions?
It would not be mere speculation, it would be based upon the evidence.
You could ask yourself if there is any evidence that God communicated directly to everyone, and you could ask yourself if there is any evidence that God has proven that He exists to everyone.

If people say that God has not communicated to them then we can logically deduce that if God exists God would not communicate directly to everyone...
Since atheists exist we can logically deduce that God has not proven that He exists to everyone.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It would not be mere speculation, it would be based upon the evidence.
You could ask yourself if there is any evidence that God communicated directly to everyone, and you could ask yourself if there is any evidence that God has proven that He exists to everyone.

If people say that God has not communicated to them then we can logically deduce that if God exists God would not communicate directly to everyone...
Since atheists exist we can logically deduce that God has not proven that He exists to everyone.
So you're assuming not only that God exists, but that the universe we see around us is pretty much as we see it now?

That's not how I read your question. I see the universe around us as godless, so the existence of God would probably imply that the universe would be very different from the one we currently live in.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Atheists: If God existed would God do #1 or #2, as noted below?

These are two separate questions.

1. If God existed would God communicate directly to everyone?
2. If God existed would God prove that He exists to everyone?

I am not asking if God could communicate directly to everyone or prove that He exists to everyone.
I am not asking if God should communicate directly to everyone or prove that He exists to everyone.

I am asking if God would God communicate directly to everyone or prove that He exists to everyone IF GOD EXISTED.

If you answer yes, please explain why you answered yes.
If you answer no, please explain why you answered no.

Thanks, Trailblazer :)

As an atheist, I don't make any claims about what a God would or wouldn't do.
To answer I'd have to have a belief about what might motivate a God to action.

I suppose that is what religion is for, to supply beliefs so these kind of questions can be answered.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The question you appear to be asking is why does god rely on faith rather than evidence.
One of the things that convinces me that there is no god, is that he could communicate but chooses to not do.
No, that is NOT what I asking. I am asking what God would do if God existed, not what you think Gold could or should do.

I am not asking whether God should rely upon faith rather than evidence. I believe that God provided evidence of His existence but obviously God has not proven that He exists to everyone, as otherwise there would be no atheists.

Do you mean that God could communicate directly to everyone but chooses not to? If so, how do you know that everyone, let alone anyone, could ever understand God communicating to them directly?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Can you please explain HOW we would immediately know that God existed IF God existed?

Same way we know the truth the sun and the rain brings. You see it, experience it, and there's a complete concensus that says yes, it's there.

There's no debate or speculation involved.

Everyone knows right away.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If I bought a car, would it be red or blue?

You can't definitively answer that question can you? There is nothing about the generic definition of "my car", even if I added a whole set of additional details (it'd be a Ford, petrol, 4-door saloon that I'd mostly use to go to work), you'd still not be able to answer the initial question. Either answer (or indeed a different one) would be equally likely.
But after you bought the car we would know if it was red or blue.

This is an exercise in logic. ;)
So, if God exists we can know certain things about how God operates, or should I say how God does not operate.

Is there any evidence that God has communicated directly to everyone?
Is there is any evidence that God has proven that He exists to everyone?

No, there is no evidence that shows that either one of those has ever occurred.

All we have to do is ask people if God has communicated to them directly in order to know if this is the case.

That means that if God existed God would not prove that He exists to everyone.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Atheists: If God existed would God do #1 or #2, as noted below?

These are two separate questions.

I am not asking if God could communicate directly to everyone or prove that He exists to everyone.
I am not asking if God should communicate directly to everyone or prove that He exists to everyone.

I am asking if God would God communicate directly to everyone or prove that He exists to everyone IF GOD EXISTED.

If you answer yes, please explain why you answered yes.
If you answer no, please explain why you answered no.

Thanks, Trailblazer :)
How could anyone answer these questions? Before you could even begin, you would have to know what this "God's" motivations are:
  1. Does this god want everyone to know about it?
  2. Does this god care what anyone thinks?
  3. Does this god wish to impart important information to everyone?
If the answers to 1 and 2 are "no," then there's no telling what, if anything, such a god might or might not do. But if the answer to 3 is "yes," then we must consider this:

If that god is omniscient, then that god knows for an absolute certainty what we can demonstrate to be true -- that human communication is fraught and error-prone. The very existence of multiple systems of religious belief is hard proof of that. Even using the identical sciptural references, humans take different meanings from it, and wind up in mutually contradictory sects.

So in my view, if the answer to 3 is "yes," then this god absolutely would make itself known to everybody, and communicate its important message to each individual in a way that each individual would clearly understand.

Please note, that does not take away free will in the slightest. You can know perfectly well and without the slightest doubt that your spouse wants you to do the cooking tonight, and still decline to do it. So, you could know with perfect clarity what god wants of you -- and still do as you wish.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I do not think it is impossible to answer. All we have to do is ask if God has proven that He exists to everyone or if God has communicated directly to everyone. If the answer is "no" that means that God would not do that if God existed. (Why God would not do that is another conversation.)

I do not know what you mean by - communicate to everyone equally and in a way they could understand.
Do you mean you think that God should communicate directly to everyone in a way that they could understand?
If so, why do you think that God should do that?

People have different levels of learning and there are a lot of different languages and dialects.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
God is an evangelist of himself. So he does let people know he exists. The very fact his words were recorded and preserved in the Bible is a testament to this fact.
I'm afraid that you would have to provide evidence that the words "recorded and preserved in the Bible" are actually God's, and not those of some human(s), priest or otherwise, who thought they knew what God would think.

You would also have to prove that the words "recorded and preserved" in every other world scripture were not the words of God, but only of some human(s), priest or otherwise.

The fact that you believe the former is not evidence, I'm afraid, of anything except your belief.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Yes such a being would communicate in the only way he knows,
Logically speaking, if God is All-Knowing and All-Wise, like the God portrayed in the Bible, then God would have to know the *best way* to communicate, of all the options that are available to Him.

Logically speaking, that God would select the *best method* of communication in order to accomplish His goals.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I fail to see how or why such a god would be in need of followers, so I'm leaning towards "no".
No, God does not need any followers, and that is 'one reason' why God does not communicate directly to everyone or prove that He exists to everyone.
You get the door prize for logic. :D

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
There are thousands of conceptions of God or gods, but these are just conceptions, what people imagine God or gods might be...
but there is only one true God that actually exists, unless you think that the Omnipotent God who created the universe needed helpers. ;)

The problem is everyone claims their creator God is the one true God and the rest are conceptions. Who should I believe has it right? If I had to choose one from the list I've researched it would Baiame the creator God (for want of a better word) of the Worimi people.

RestlessSoul

I think your question is impossible to answer, it would just be speculation. I can say that no God has ever communicated with me and if I were a God the fair thing to do would be communicate to everyone equally and in a way they could understand.

That does answer the question, it seems to me. You’re saying you would expect God to declare Himself, and as he hasn’t you are disinclined to believe in Him?