• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: If God existed…

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I cannot imagine anyone who has spent much time thinking about what two and two equal -- or sum as -- would argue that they sum as whatever you want them to sum as.

But that is precisely what faith is and allows. By faith, anything can be believed or its mutually exclusive polar opposite. As you know, the problem is solved by simply refusing to believe by faith, and instead, turning to nature to see what is true about the world and what is not. By this method, at most only one of these competing ideas survives empirical testing.

But what you cannot imagine is exactly what faith did to this person :

“If somewhere in the Bible I were to find a passage that said 2 + 2 = 5, I wouldn't question what I am reading in the Bible. I would believe it, accept it as true, and do my best to work it out and understand it."- Pastor Peter laRuffa

Where is the virtue in this kind of thinking? I cannot accept that any sentient intelligence greater than man would respect belief by faith, much less require it.

And in case anybody thinks that this kind of thinking is a one-off and extreme, look at the pride this well-known creationist has in his blind adherence to his faith-based beliefs. The moderator in the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham on whether creationism is a viable scientific field of study asked, "What would change your minds?" Scientist Bill Nye answered, "Evidence." Young Earth Creationist Ken Ham answered, "Nothing. I'm a Christian." Elsewhere, Ham stated, “By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record."

Minds like these can believe that 2 + 2 = 5 if they can be convinced that their god thinks so.

God only wants us to exalt and worship Him for our sake

I don't see a benefit there, at least not for me. Personally, I find worship in the literal sense beneath human dignity. Presently, I stand as an autonomous citizen and kneel to no master or king. That was kind of the point of the American Revolution. Worshiping would degrade my life.

I had a similar transition in my own life when I went from Christian to secular humanist. With that went the invisible spy watching, recording, and judging my every act and thought. Now, I run my life. I have no incentive to return to that state, so I ask, how would making that transition back into worship, faith-based thought and a supernaturalistic world-view be for my sake if shedding it made life better?

God does not need our belief. If He did he would provide proof of His existence, God wants us to believe in Him, but only on His terms.

Then this god and skeptics like me are at an impasse. I have no reason to believe that any idea that any human being proclaims came from a god or describes a god is more than just some person's opinion. No argument that begins with the assumption that gods or any particular god exist has any persuasive power with somebody who does not accept that premise.

its really none of our business to question God

I think that that is a dangerous attitude. It puts one at the mercy of those claiming to speak for a god. I still require evidence for a god before being interested in what others claim it told them to tell me.

He says God would/should communicate directly to everyone on earth if God existed based upon nothing other than that is what he wants, as if God was a short order cook

These gods we keep hearing about do less than a short-order cook. I expect nothing from any of them any longer. Not even a Denny's Grand Slam breakfast.

True, it's quite strange that Atheists ask so much for evidence that Reality exists. I know for a fact the Reality exists because I experience the consequence of it's existence. Atheists will always confuse me but they're damn entertaining to watch.

Atheist don't request evidence for reality, just evidence for a god - very different.

Do you have any? I didn't think so.

Proof of God does exist

No, it doesn't - not for critical thinkers. Proof is that which convinces. Every atheist is telling theists that they failed to convince.

There is evidence and the Bible is part of the evidence.

The Bible is evidence that it was written, not evidence of a god. Evidence for a god would be an observable finding that was better explained by a supernatural explanation than a natural one. We have no such evidence, including any holy book. I have no reason to believe that men didn't write them all themselves absent divine intervention

In much the same way as a single cell in our bodies is not capable of grasping the whole body within which it resides, and from which it derives it's existence, sustenance, and purpose.

That's a useful metaphor. Each cell is capable of being reached and communicated with by the collective, the organism. If I want to reach a sensory neuron such as the temperature receptors on my skin, I send it a message that it can receive - a neuronal stimulus. If I want to "speak" to a leukocyte, I do so with a foreign antigen, which it will engulf if it is a macrophage, or elucidate antigen-specific antibodies if it is a B-lymphocyte.

The point is that we can communicate with these cells according to the limits of our abilities to reach them. You and I are capable of much more sophisticated reactions. We can understand and use language, for example.

Yet no god is speaking to me, and I'm pretty sure I know why. If such a god exists, it has no more interest in you or me than we have in the 13-millionth oldest leukocyte in our immune systems at this instant. This idea of a concerned god existing that hasn't or can't reach us is ludicrous.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Then the messengers are relative. God is not.

Again making only the messengers relative.
Relative to what?
That's arguable, IMO. I suspect a majority cannot choose what they believe. Most are influenced by external forces in what they believe.
I did not mean that in the sense you took it. I am not saying that people are free to choose to believe anything, I only meant that once they have chosen, they are free to retain their beliefs.
We are all influenced by external and internal forces, maybe even by God.
I think our conscious interface with reality is on an emotional level. It is hard to escape our feelings when it comes to what we believe. Faith for example, I believe occurs at an emotional level.
I do not think that is necessarily true. I think that faith can occur on an intellectual level, if our faith is based upon research and understanding.
I agree, which is why I choose to be an atheist. Since I cannot know anything about God personally, there is no knowledge to believe in.
We can know something about God from what Messengers of God reveal, but that is very limited. We can only know some attributes of God and the Will of God for humanity collectively, but we cannot know what God wants us to do on a personal level. We can only follow the general guidelines and hope for the best.
Sure, God could exist but God's existence has no value, meaning, effect on my life. Since God's existence does not affect my life in any measurable way, God might as well not exist.God's existence does not affect my life any more or any less than God's non-existence.
No, God does not affect your life in any way you can know, but what God reveals through Messengers can affect your life in a very real way, if you know it and follow it.
Choosing to believe or not believe does affect my life. However I don't see where choosing to believe would make my life better. I can see where choosing to believe could possibly make my life worse.
That depends upon what you mean by better or worse. What is better for some people is worse for other people.

It could go either way, depending upon what religion you believed in and how you related to that religion.
If you just believed in God with no religion in some senses that is easier because you don't have the responsibilities religion entails.

On the other hand, if you have no religion, then you can know nothing about God or what God's Will is for you.
So there is an upside and a downside to religion. It can be a lot of work if one takes it seriously, but it comes with big rewards in that case. We get back whatever we put into it.

In many ways, my life would be a lot easier if I was an atheist, but I cannot just choose to disbelieve anymore than atheists can just choose to believe. That has to be based upon something.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
An atheist on my forum said: “if God existed, then proof of his existence would be possible. The proof isn't there, and the best explanation for that lack of proof would be that neither is the god there.”

If God existed, would God provide proof of His existence? If you answer yes, please explain why you think that God would provide proof of His existence.

Is it possible that God exists and has chosen not to provide proof of His existence? If you think it possible that God exists and has chosen not to provide proof of His existence, why do you think God would choose not to provide proof of His existence?

I am not talking about evidence, I am talking about absolute proof, in which case God would be established as a fact, like a scientific fact everyone would agree upon.

Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid: https://www.google.com/search

Proof: evidence or argument establishing or helping to establish a fact or the truth of a statement: https://www.google.com/search
Everything that exists provides some evidence of its existence. Everything that acts provides evidence of those acts through the necessary reactions. Even a god, if it acted upon the world, would leave evidence of that action -- if only we knew how to identify it and demonstrate the connection.

Our problem is to identify the evidence, and show its connection to the cause, or simply to the existence demonstrated. Sometimes it's easy...does beer exist? Have a sip and find out. Sometimes it's harder...what caused the lightning and thunder? Oops, knowing zero about electrons, I can't think of a reason, so I'll have to invent one. Then, of course, some day, we might actually discover electrons, and what causes the lightning and thunder, and whatever it was we invented to explain it will of necessity be supplanted.

Humans reach out instinctively for answers...nature may hate a vacuum, but humans hate an unanswered question even more, and will always try to fill that vacuum with an answer of some kind. And then our various biases set in: confirmation bias, choice-supportive bias, etc.

We see the same thing in the endless, tedious arguments about evolution. There's no evidence that a cat can give birth to a dog, you'll be told. Well, duh, even we evolutionists know that. But that's not what evolution says -- never, ever, not even once, has anything about Darwin's theory suggested an individual member of any species gave birth to an individual member of another species.

What we are dealing with, I think, is a kind of amateur philosopher's fallacy (let's call it the "imagination/insight fallacy"). This is the tendency to mistake a failure of imagination for an insight into the way reality has to be. And it is the ability to surmount this "failure of imagination" that leads to those geniuses who have improved our outstanding of the way reality actually is. Einstein's "thought experiments" led directly to the Special Theory of Relativity. Darwin's meticulous cataloguing of minute differences in thousands of specimens let to Origen of Species by Natural Selection. And then the imagination of those geniuses gives rise to those theories that allow us to actually see, with great clarity, the evidence that we missed before, and hampered our ability to explain what we saw.

If (and I repeat strongly, IF) there is a god that created and sustains the universe, then the evidence of that creation and sustenance exists, if only we can learn how to see it. That is why, I think, that some obviously non-religious thinkers like Einstein and Hawking have actually mentioned "God" in their writings.

What we have seen so far, however, for reasons I couldn't begin to explain, is that the more often we overcome the "imagination/insight fallacy," the further we retreat from "God is the answer." My suspicion, based on that history, is that this is likely to continue. Will we ever come to the end, and decide, one way or another, that there is or is not a God? Who knows? I can't even begin to say whether I doubt it or believe it. Suffice to say, for my own part, that I suspect not.

(By the way, I think the idea of God providing or not providing "proof" or "evidence" of His work is a canard. This is not the sort of thing that can be "willed." Enfin, either the thing was 100% magically created, leaving zero evidence (which would be proof in itself of God), or there is evidence that shows how the thing came to be. That might be God, but I suspect not. I suspect it will be just something else for which we have to seek evidence.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Trailblazer said: God only wants us to exalt and worship Him for our sake.

I don't see a benefit there, at least not for me. Personally, I find worship in the literal sense beneath human dignity. Presently, I stand as an autonomous citizen and kneel to no master or king. That was kind of the point of the American Revolution. Worshiping would degrade my life.
To worship God just means to love God. Admittedly, I have not achieved that and I do not know if I ever will, but I think God knows why and will forgive me. God does not need my love, it is only me who loses out, but that is just how it will have to be for now because I cannot force myself to love God. Sometimes I have no feelings towards God at all and sometimes I am just angry.

My life has never been a picnic and it is not getting much better. I am sure other people have it a lot worse than I do, but most of the people around me have it a lot easier. Logically, I cannot understand how a "loving God" would create a world in which He knew people would suffer, some much more than others, and many through no fault of their own. I do not go in for the religious apologetic that suffering makes us stronger. Even if that is true, suffering is still suffering.
I had a similar transition in my own life when I went from Christian to secular humanist. With that went the invisible spy watching, recording, and judging my every act and thought. Now, I run my life. I have no incentive to return to that state, so I ask, how would making that transition back into worship, faith-based thought and a supernaturalistic world-view be for my sake if shedding it made life better?
An invisible spy watching, that is funny. Yes, I believe God is watching, but I do not do anything I worry He will catch me doing so I am not worried. And even if I did not believe in God I would not do anything differently. The thing is that after all God has allowed me to suffer in my life, I would consider it terribly unjust for God to punish me anymore, and I don't think He will, because deep down I know God is beneficent.

It would be easier for me to be an atheist in many ways, so why do I believe in God in spite of ow I all too often feel about God, not to mention all the wok and sacrifice it entails to do what is required of me? The simple answer is that I think it is the right thing to do because I believe God exists and I believe everything Baha'u'llah wrote. So I cannot get off the hook without going against my conscience. I think I will be much better off in the end because I believe this life is not the end; it is just a small part of our total existence. I could never believe in God if there was no afterlife because suffering could not be accommodated in my mind at all.
Trailblazer said: God does not need our belief. If He did he would provide proof of His existence, God wants us to believe in Him, but only on His terms.

Then this god and skeptics like me are at an impasse. I have no reason to believe that any idea that any human being proclaims came from a god or describes a god is more than just some person's opinion. No argument that begins with the assumption that gods or any particular god exist has any persuasive power with somebody who does not accept that premise.
Yes, you are at an impasse because God only communicates through Messengers.
Trailblazer said: its really none of our business to question God.

That's a dangerous attitude. It puts one at the mercy of those claiming to speak for a god. I still require evidence for a god before being interested in what others claim it told them to tell me.

That is true, it puts us at the mercy of those who claim to speak for God, and that is why it is pretty important to determine if that is the case before believing them and following them.
Trailblazer said: He says God would/should communicate directly to everyone on earth if God existed based upon nothing other than that is what he wants, as if God was a short order cook.

These gods we keep hearing about do less than a short-order cook. I expect nothing from any of them any longer.
Neither do I, and that's the thing, it is not about what I can get from God, it is about what I get by following God. It is also about what everyone gets, not just me, because I am not that important.
Trailblazer said: Maybe God just wants us to have faith in Him.

Not an option. No god can be known by faith. Nothing can.
That is true. But first you have to have faith that it is possible to know, then you do the research, then you know, so you no longer need faith because you have certitude.
Trailblazer said: There is evidence and the Bible is part of the evidence.

The Bible is evidence that it was written, not evidence of a god. There is no reason to believe that men didn't write it themselves with no divine intervention.
And there is also no reason to believe that men did not write it with divine intervention. How much of the Bible involved divine intervention is another matter altogether.
Where is the virtue in this kind of thinking? I cannot accept that any sentient intelligence greater than man would respect belief by faith, much less require it.
Why not? It is not as if God expects blind faith, God provides evidence of His existence through Messengers.
Sure, not everyone recognizes God's Messengers, but If God provided absolute proof of His existence everyone would know He exists, and that means that people who put forth no effort would be able to have the same belief as people who put forth the effort. That is not just. Everything in life is based upon effort, so why shouldn't belief in God be the same?

“The incomparable Creator hath created all men from one same substance, and hath exalted their reality above the rest of His creatures. Success or failure, gain or loss, must, therefore, depend upon man’s own exertions. The more he striveth, the greater will be his progress.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 81-82

We are assured that if we are a true seeker and fulfilled certain conditions, we will be guided. Of course, faith is required to believe that until the guidance comes.

“When the detached wayfarer and sincere seeker hath fulfilled these essential conditions, then and only then can he be called a true seeker. Whensoever he hath fulfilled the conditions implied in the verse: “Whoso maketh efforts for Us,” he shall enjoy the blessings conferred by the words: “In Our Ways shall We assuredly guide him.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 266-267

Last edited:

FooYang

Atheist don't request evidence for reality, just evidence for a god - very different.

It's unfortunate that you assume that you haven't immediately contradicted yourself.

Let me ask you, what do you think "a god" is?

Also, what are your general thoughts on paganism? (seeing how you antitheists are usually banging on at polytheism in debates with abrahamics) how does 'it aint necessarily so' interpret pagan deities?
I'm interested to know.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Humans reach out instinctively for answers...nature may hate a vacuum, but humans hate an unanswered question even more, and will always try to fill that vacuum with an answer of some kind.
That is true, and there is nothing wrong with seeking answers. I believe that God endowed us with a rational mind so we could use it to discover whatever we can about the world, but there are always going to be things that are a mystery, and God is one of those things.

I believe that God exists, in my mind I know, but I sure as heck do not have all the answers as to what God is or what God is up to, if anything. :rolleyes:

Bird123

Yes, I think that it is a test of intelligence. But also some people do not want to have to exert any effort to Discover God. They want God to come to them and prove Himself to them, as if God owes them that.

Yes, That is true. On the other hand, it doesn't matter whether a person chooses to seek out God or not. That has never been what it is all about. I decided to take my journey to Discovery because I wanted to know the Real Truth, after all so much is said about God that simply is not true.

Everyone already knows God whether they know they know or not. It's not the end of the world if they decide to wait until they bump into God. Relax, it will not be anything frightening. God loves Unconditionally.

That's what I see.

FooYang

If God is, God is the absolute reality and everything else in existence is relative.

This reply Trailblazer is a bulleye, completely right to the point without any discrepancies!
Along with this, all of our experience in life likewise is a derivative of microcosmic essences of "God". The big point is that monotheism is the only position that makes sense, there is only One Reality (which we could call "God", "YHWH", "Brahman", etc etc etc the name itself isn't as important intellectually), which all subjective experiences of the Universe are dependent on.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
That can be a positive character trait because it can cause you to stick to your guns. lol
True lol
I kind of sense that but of course I could be wrong. I asked me the other day why he talked so much about a god he does not believe exists and he asked me if I wanted him to leave my forum. I said he had better not leave because it took an act of congress to get him there, and it did. I had been posting to him on other forums in that group for years but I decided I was no longer posting on those forums because of the treatment I was getting from the owners. It was my friends that got him to come to my forum but he never came when I asked. Now I guess he is there to stay, speak about tenacious, we are two peas in a pod. We have a long history. I found him on a Christian forum given the Christians what for.
Well it sounds like you have a worthy "opponent."

The irony of that is that I never cared if God existed but God just dropped into my lap and now I cannot shake him off... God is very high maintenance, and I am not sure it is worth the maintenance, lol. He keeps me busy all day and up till all hours
That can happen for some believers.

I do not know much about Hinduism except what I read on forums. There was a Hindu poster I was engaged with on a Baha’i forum for some time but we really knocked heads. He thought he could incorporate my religion into Hinduism but that is not really possible, because there are some big differences, such as reincarnation to name one.
Some Hindus are very universal minded. They see religions as more of a buffet than separate meals. So when they see a new religion they assume they can just take a bite, so to speak.

I largely sympathize with universalism, only because that's the sect I grew up in.

Empathy is a good thing to have. For me that developed over time, after I finally decided other people mattered more than myself. Now it’s hard to tend to myself if there are other people I feel responsible for.
Empathy is a good trait. But like all things, it should be a balance.

It is probably true that Abrahamics don’t tolerate atheism as well as Dharmics as a general rule, but I tend to gravitate towards atheists since I have an atheistic bent. It is not that I have any question as to whether God exists; it is that I am not always that fond of Him and I have a lot of questions, as atheists do. That is probably owing to all the suffering I have endured in life.
I'm the same. I tend to pal around with atheists far more than my Hindu cohorts. Question everything, that's my motto. Suffering has a tendency to shape us, perhaps more than we would like to admit.

I guess we all have baggage.

I can understand how atheists are tired of that but us Baha’is are tired of being lumped together with Christianity because we do not even believe in original sin or hell the way Christians do. Atheists assume Baha’i is just like all the other Abrahamic religions and in the spiritual teachings it is, but in that way it is also like all the other religions, since all religions share those in common. But the Baha’i Faith is completely different from all the older religions in fundamental ways..
Mate you're talking to a Western born Hindu. I have all sorts of sloppy even insulting labels thrown at me all the time. It's honestly not worth the trouble to be bothered by it. Causes too much anger and detrimentally affects one's mental wellbeing. The older Hindus (at least the ones I know) have this sort of aloof nature when it comes to their beliefs. They simply don't care what other people think or say to them. They just do what makes them happy.
I like that approach. I try to apply it in my day to day life.

When I say logical I do not mean formal logic, I mean something just makes sense.
Well in a debate setting, usually formal logic will apply by default. That's just how debates are.

But I have learned some of the logical fallacies over time and I can see how some atheists commit them.
So have I and I can say the same about some theists. Especially creationists. Oof. Hitchslapped indeed.

That is true, our evidence standards differ markedly, but I consider it ludicrous to expect to have forensic evidence for an immaterial God. The best evidence is the footprints God has left in the sand when he sent Messengers..
I think you're putting up a wall. You say it's ludicrous to expect forensic evidence for an ethereal being (God.) And I personally agree with you. But if one is coming from the position of an atheist, that is the evidence that will often satisfy the criteria they're using. It does not matter what we personally think. That's what's being asked. And though I doubt a God would care, it's not that unreasonable to ask a deity for forensic evidence of it's existence in exchange for belief. It just happens to be a strictly human one.

I guess Creation is also evidence but since it can be explained in other ways, it is not the best evidence. I challenge atheists to explain how Jesus did what He did if He was not more than an ordinary human being.
Creation, as you call it, is simply proof that life exists. Anything else is our own supposition. I know that seems like I'm bashing theism, but I'm not. I'm just saying, for theists, there's a lot of interpretation going on. I tend to run in a lot of pretentious artsy/philosophical circles, so I like that about theism. I'm just saying, at the end of the day, when everything is said and done, it really does come down to a personal faith, rather than hard scientific evidence. I don't think that's an unfair statement.

The evidence is also the religion of Christianity and how it has withstood the test of time. This is empirical evidence.
Oh, buddy. Devil's advocate. It's easy to disprove Jesus. Just point to David Copperfield and ask if you really think he can actually fly. Parlor tricks, easy to pass off as miracles to people of the era. Either you were a messenger of God or burned at the stake for witchcraft. Water to wine, slight of hand.
Resurrection, hearsay by the devastated grieving. Making the blind see and the invalid walk, crowd plants in on the scheme. I'm not suggesting that you should not view Jesus as a messenger of God. We have always incorporated Lord Jesus into our religious rituals. In fact, most of my family are Christian here. (Albeit very liberal.) Most of my family in the UK are Catholic. Rest are of course Hindu of some flavour. I'm just saying, don't be too cocky. One person's miracle is another's scam.

Scientific evidence is not something a rational person should expect for God, then again if atheists do not understand what God is, I can understand why they might expect that.
I don't think that's fair. Some people just have different ways of thinking. Some favour philosophy, others hard logic and math. If we are created, then that's the way God wants it, I guess.
Science has rationally explained our world since it's inception. It has taught us more than any religion about the world around us and indeed even our cosmos. When you hear a scientist talk about us in scientific terms, it can often be spectacular. I mean De Grasse Tyson once spoke about how we are literally made of stardust, if one understands chemistry soundly enough. How is that not absolutely mind blowing?
I'll agree that science can sometimes be a bit "cold." It's literally just hard data, really. But it's reasonable for a human, who has used science to teach them about literally the world around them, to ask a God for some scientific evidence of its existence. Because that's how they think. That's how their brain works, again presuming we are made, that's how God created them. Not saying a God will oblige or care. But again, we're talking in terms of human expectations. Expectations that humans are presumably created with. I mean if you look at it from a neutral perspective, it does paint God as either aloof or just kind of ****ing with people for its own amusement.
Of course, this brings us back to the whole "agree to disagree" being the only outcome of it all. I mean, if God doesn't care to show us scientific evidence, then I doubt people demanding it will ever be truly satisfied.

In a sense religions are man-made because Prophets (what I call Messengers) are men, but it is the Baha’i belief that they are also divine and that is what makes them different. I believe that the true religions were revealed by God to these Messengers. Of course this cannot be proven, it is a belief.
Well your belief is your belief. I won't begrudge you.

But how do you explain why only religions have withstood the test of time, if a God had nothing to do with them? Just look at how long Hinduism has lasted.
Occam's razor, my friend. Humans are often stubborn creatures, especially about something they consider to be sacred. I mean if you truly believe you have divine truth, more likely than not you will be willing to die for it. And indeed history is replete with examples. Crusades, the Holy wars, religious minorities enduring oppression never once losing their faith etc. The human mind is a powerful thing and having a strong belief in something often ensures that belief will endure. Regardless of any obstacle in it's path. The "Truth" is a very powerful drug. It has caused some very interesting outcomes.

You assume that religions stand the test of time due to an influence by God. Perhaps you're right. But I contend that religion endures because humans are very tenacious creatures who will protect their belief in sacredness to the bitter end.
Not everyone will necessarily agree with the religious. Like I said, some people are just not wired to think that way, I think.
:shrug:
But it is what it is.

That is true, and I just try to understand, not win arguments. I consider that childish and arrogant. Baha’is believe we are all one people, fruits of one tree and leaves of one branch, and God loves us equally. There is no reason to argue but we can share views and learn from each other.
A wise approach, I think.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Everyone already knows God whether they know they know or not. It's not the end of the world if they decide to wait until they bump into God. Relax, it will not be anything frightening. God loves Unconditionally.

That's what I see.
That;s what I see too.

I don't think God will be frightening when we see Him on the other side, not like a judge on the Judgment Seat
Rather it is what some people did with their lives that will be frightening.
People create their own hell, God does not send them there.
On the other hand, I do not see God rescuing everyone because that would not be just.
We reap what we sow.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
This reply Trailblazer is a bulleye, completely right to the point without any discrepancies!
Along with this, all of our experience in life likewise is a derivative of microcosmic essences of "God". The big point is that monotheism is the only position that makes sense, there is only One Reality (which we could call "God", "YHWH", "Brahman", etc etc etc the name itself isn't as important intellectually), which all subjective experiences of the Universe are dependent on.
I guess you are saying that there is only one true God, although He has been called many names by the various religions.
That is exactly what I believe, as nothing else makes any sense to me. Why would we need more than one God?

“Regard thou the one true God as One Who is apart from, and immeasurably exalted above, all created things. The whole universe reflecteth His glory, while He is Himself independent of, and transcendeth His creatures. This is the true meaning of Divine unity. He Who is the Eternal Truth is the one Power Who exerciseth undisputed sovereignty over the world of being, Whose image is reflected in the mirror of the entire creation. All existence is dependent upon Him, and from Him is derived the source of the sustenance of all things. This is what is meant by Divine unity; this is its fundamental principle.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 167

Bird123

But that is precisely what faith is and allows. By faith, anything can be believed or its mutually exclusive polar opposite. As you know, the problem is solved by simply refusing to believe by faith, and instead, turning to nature to see what is true about the world and what is not. By this method, at most only one of these competing ideas survives empirical testing.

But what you cannot imagine is exactly what faith did to this person :

“If somewhere in the Bible I were to find a passage that said 2 + 2 = 5, I wouldn't question what I am reading in the Bible. I would believe it, accept it as true, and do my best to work it out and understand it."- Pastor Peter laRuffa

And in case anybody thinks that this kind of thinking is a one-off and extreme, look at the pride this well-known creationist has in his blind adherence to his faith-based beliefs. The moderator in the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham on whether creationism is a viable scientific field of study asked, "What would change your minds?" Scientist Bill Nye answered, "Evidence." Young Earth Creationist Ken Ham answered, "Nothing. I'm a Christian." Elsewhere, Ham stated, “By definition, no apparent, perceived or claimed evidence in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record."

Minds like these can believe that 2 + 2 = 5 if they can be convinced that their god thinks so.

I think that that is a dangerous attitude. It puts one at the mercy of those claiming to speak for a god. I still require evidence for a god before being interested in what others claim it told them to tell me.

These gods we keep hearing about do less than a short-order cook. I expect nothing from any of them any longer. Not even a Denny's Grand Slam breakfast.

Do you have any? I didn't think so.

No, it doesn't - not for critical thinkers. Proof is that which convinces. Every atheist is telling theists that they failed to convince.

The Bible is evidence that it was written, not evidence of a god. Evidence for a god would be an observable finding that was better explained by a supernatural explanation than a natural one. We have no such evidence, including any holy book. I have no reason to believe that men didn't write them all themselves absent divine intervention

That's a useful metaphor. Each cell is capable of being reached and communicated with by the collective, the organism. If I want to reach a sensory neuron such as the temperature receptors on my skin, I send it a message that it can receive - a neuronal stimulus. If I want to "speak" to a leukocyte, I do so with a foreign antigen, which it will engulf if it is a macrophage, or elucidate antigen-specific antibodies if it is a B-lymphocyte.

The point is that we can communicate with these cells according to the limits of our abilities to reach them. You and I are capable of much more sophisticated reactions. We can understand and use language, for example.

Yet no god is speaking to me, and I'm pretty sure I know why. If such a god exists, it has no more interest in you or me than we have in the 13-millionth oldest leukocyte in our immune systems at this instant. This idea of a concerned god existing that hasn't or can't reach us is ludicrous.

Proof Does exist for those who take the effort it takes to Discover it. Discovery and Truth isn't about Believing or Convincing. On the other hand, if one assumes that God does not exist because the answers are not served up on a silver platter, one is unlikely to Discover anything at all.

Has Religion spoiled people? Religion has served up beliefs for so long. Have people been conditioned to think that all the answers arrive that way?

Perhaps, it's just being lazy or a lack of will. It has always been easier to sit in a chair, listen to a bunch of beliefs then merely decide what one likes. I'm here to say Real Truth will Teach, however it will not always be agreeable or what one thought was the Truth.

Critical Thinker? GREAT! Perhaps, it's the narrow view that keeps you blind to so very much. The first thing God pointed out to me was that mankind carries such a narrow view. I cry that! I work on mine every day.

Still, I am open minded. If you do Discover the proof that God exists, hang onto your hat.

Well, OK. That's what I see.

But if god(s) exist why would they not provide proof of their existence?
Do you thing that god(s) play games with humans?

If God was consciousness that operated in quantum space, how would it do that? I believe in God, I just don't think of God as the all powerful Daddy spirit figure that everyone else wants it to be. I think God is limited by the same physical rules of the Universe as everything else is. I reckon way back when the earth was a newly cooled ball of rock, there was just one singular consciousness that formed around the matter of the planet, and that once day using all its vast might and focus, it managed to twist a few proteins together to cause life, and made a few coding arrangement to keep life alive. Given the scale of the quantum universe compared to the macro one, I think this was a magnificent achievement. But I don't know why people keep expecting ridiculous things from God.

Bird123

That;s what I see too.

I don't think God will be frightening when we see Him on the other side, not like a judge on the Judgment Seat
Rather it is what some people did with their lives that will be frightening.
People create their own hell, God does not send them there.
On the other hand, I do not see God rescuing everyone because that would not be just.
We reap what we sow.

It has never been about punishment. Justice has never been the issue. Is your demand for justice hiding the hate you feel for others? You must reach for the Higher Level where the only thing that really matters will be the results.

You are right. People can choose some very hard lessons for themselves. Unconditional Love does not rescue nor prevent the lessons that bring Understanding.

God will abandon no one. God will never condemn, hate or fry the kids. God will lead them all to Greatness. There is no need to hate those who choose hard lessons for themselves. I say copy God. Point them in the right direction with love and kindness.

That's what I am seeing.

It has never been about punishment. Justice has never been the issue. Is your demand for justice hiding the hate you feel for others? You must reach for the Higher Level where the only thing that really matters will be the results.

You are right. People can choose some very hard lessons for themselves. Unconditional Love does not rescue nor prevent the lessons that bring Understanding.

God will abandon no one. God will never condemn, hate or fry the kids. God will lead them all to Greatness. There is no need to hate those who choose hard lessons for themselves. I say copy God. Point them in the right direction with love and kindness.

That's what I am seeing.

I pretty much agree with you both. I think in order to hurt others, people have to turn off a piece of their consciousness, but I think that is returned or reunited to them after the death of the physical body... and then they hurt and feel the guilt and shame and the "OMG what did I do?" and the only option they have left is to learn by it.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure

That's what I am seeing.

Certainly a murderer requires justice served up. How does one love the criminals of the world that shoot up Wal-Mart????

If i understand you correctly, they create their own punishment.

Someone has to provide reasonable law though. If not God, then who?