• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: If Aliens worshipped Jesus

Likelihood of God is...

• More likely

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • The same

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Less likely

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Yerda

Veteran Member
I think there have probably been threads about this previously but another won't hurt....

If we met an alien civilisation and it turned out they were big fans of Jesus would you consider the chance that God exists to be more likely, less likely, or the same. Why?

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
I think there have probably been threads about this previously but another won't hurt....

If we met an alien civilisation and it turned out they were big fans of Jesus would you consider the chance that God exists to be more likely, less likely, or the same. Why?
What is their evidence?
I mean, if their evidence is the same as all evidence thus far presented....

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

The same. About the same as I do now. I don't see a connection between Jesus existing and his god because in the bible, Jesus is written as a human being. So, I'd be curious in meeting him but not in respect that he can proves god exist anymore than a human or alien.

It would also work the same because each person has their own definition of god (atheist included) that if the aliens talk about god it would be another version of the same abstract deity (if that).

I'd be curious why they would be and not another human.

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Just adding more beings who believe in an idea that rational humans can't judge true is a form of the fallacy of argument via popularity. It doesn't matter how many believe X. What matters is: did the mob make their judgment via facts and reason, or through some other process, like emotion, cultural influence, stress reduction, etc.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I think we can all agree that imaginary beings will 100% believe in another imaginary being, because they is who they identify with the most.

Nimos

Being fan of someone/something doesn't exactly give credibility to whether something is true or not. So it wouldn't change anything. Also if I ran into aliens, I would be much more interested in knowing more about them rather than what they thought about Jesus :D

Yazata

How would we know that it's Jesus that they worshipped? I wouldn't expect to find the same name in use throughout the galaxy. Just because aliens worship some alien deity, wouldn't in and of itself make me equate their deity with some Earth deity.

But, that being said, if there is some convincing reason to identify their deity with Jesus, I would have to think that fact would increase the likelihood that Christianity (of some sort) is true.

Last edited:

A Vestigial Mote

I would be persuaded to look at the matter more keenly, and specifically at the evidence that the aliens have supporting the formation of their position. Considering the unbelievably slim possibility that the same exact being and stories had been fabricated on two separate worlds, I would definitely be inclined to delve further into the possibility of Jesus as some sort of transcendent entity - whether "divine" or "supernatural" or not would still need to be determined, but it would seem apparent that Jesus was something real and that he had somehow affected ideas on two separate planets.

Edit - this is all given that it was determined that there was no cross-contamination of ideas from Earth to this other planet. Such determinations would all be part of the evidence-gathering process.

Last edited:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

How did they end up being fans of Jesus?

Was it that they picked up our TV signals and the televangelists really resonated with them, or did they already think before they encountered humanity that Jesus had visited them?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
If Jesus had been planet hopping I might tend to believe after the fifth or sixth planet. :oops:

QuestioningMind

They would still need to provide verifiable evidence for their claims.

Yerda

Veteran Member
What is their evidence?
I mean, if their evidence is the same as all evidence thus far presented....
Let's suppose they don't have any more evidence than we do.

How would we know that it's Jesus that they worshipped?
Because it says so in the OP. I'm asking you to assume that they are referring to the same fella.

How did they end up being fans of Jesus?

Was it that they picked up our TV signals and the televangelists really resonated with them, or did they already think before they encountered humanity that Jesus had visited them?
Let's suppose no transfer of info prior to meeting.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I think we can all agree that imaginary beings will 100% believe in another imaginary being, because they is who they identify with the most.
For the purposes of the thread we can assume the aliens are real and the existence of God uncertain. Does meeting a new intelligent species who believe in the Jesus story change your opinion at all on how likely god is?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I voted "less likely."

If us and some group of aliens both have believers in Jesus, then there are a few categories of explanation:

- they got the idea from us
- we got the idea from them
- both of us got the idea from an external source
- we both coincidentally developed the idea independently

I suppose "Jesus was sent by God to our planet and theirs" is one potential explanation in the third category, but since we're taking as given for the hypothetical scenario that intelligent aliens capable of interstellar travel - and communicating with humans - exist, we can come up with all sorts of explanations in the first three categories that not only don't require a God, but imply that God wasn't involved.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It would depend on how they came to know of it.
If this had been revealed to them through their own prophets and producing a similar theology, it would be very hard to ignore.
Stumbling across a space junk Bible and being moved by Jesus' words is pretty easy to ignore.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Edit - this is all given that it was determined that there was no cross-contamination of ideas from Earth to this other planet. Such determinations would all be part of the evidence-gathering process.
That is pretty unlikely. If they come here and are able to communicate that they are fans of Jesus, they must have picked up our language from our radio communication that we are blasting into the universe for nearly 100 years. So of course they are talking about "our" Jesus legend.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

They did this on a Star Trek episode. "Bread and Circuses".