• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: Heaven

Yerda

Veteran Member
Do any of you think it would be magic if there was some sort of afterlife?

I'd quite like to be surprised on that matter.

Walkntune

Wouldn't surprise me since I don't believe energy ever dies but just changes in and out of form. I think m- theory makes it even more interesting since it would conclude that all matter is energy.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
In my opinion there is a metaphorical afterlife in the sense that half my DNA is in my children, so when I die a part of me , my DNA, lives on in the kids. In that sense I consider I have an after life that could continue eternally given they successfully breed eternally. There wouldnt be much of my original DNA in the final mix but still there may be some. Unfortunately I would never be a conscious element in this afterlife, so I would be totally unaware of it.

As far as heaven and therefore hell is concerned, if I treat my children with respect and bring them up well then their survival and therefore breeding chances increase. My half DNA will be in Heaven. If I treat my kids badly beat and mistreat them then their world is more likely to be worse. My half DNA will be in Hell.

Cheers

Silver

Just maybe

Future scientists work out how to access the past (time travel).
They also work out how to mind upload (transfering consciousness to a computer).
So they transfer the consciousness of every being that has ever existed to a Virtual reality system (heaven) just before their death.
That way we all become immortal.

If that doesn't work all is not lost because there may be a God who gives us an afterlife.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Future scientists work out how to access the past (time travel).
They also work out how to mind upload (transfering consciousness to a computer).
So they transfer the consciousness of every being that has ever existed to a Virtual reality system (heaven) just before their death.
That way we all become immortal.

If that doesn't work all is not lost because there may be a God who gives us an afterlife.
Have you ever read the Riverworld series by Philip Jose farmer?

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
According to webster:
Magic:
1 a : the use of means (as charms or spells) believed to have supernatural power over natural forces b : magic rites or incantations
I do not think spells were used to get me in heaven.

2 a : an extraordinary power or influence seemingly from a supernatural source
I do not think heaven needs a God to exist. It would make him more likelly though.
Specially as I do not believe in the soul to begin with.

b : something that seems to cast a spell
N.A.

3 : the art of producing illusions by sleight of hand
If I can "know" that I am busy with some afterlife, then I still have my conciousness. Wich would mean that I would not feel dead. I think it's very likelly that I would think, at least in the beginning, that I either got mad or fooled.

logician

There never has been one iota of scientific evidence than any kind of afterlife exists, but tons of evidence exists that once you're dead, you stay that way.

Smoke

Done here.

I think it would be cool if there were some sort of afterlife. Ymir's beliefs about this sound pretty cool to me. However, if the afterlife turned out to be like the Christian heaven (even without a corresponding hell), it doesn't sound too good. Praising God for all eternity would be either boring or terrifying.

logician

If the afterlife is being a ghost haunting a house with the ridiculous show ghosthunters investigating, no thanks.

gnostic

The Lost One
father heathen said:
I would seize the throne in a coup, then remodel the whole place.
:sorry1: Remodelling the place, sounds like a lot of work.

So a "coup" sounds like too much of hard work, so I am not interested in a coup....or in remodelling.

Now if you said we are going on holiday, I would jump at the chance. :beach:

Huh. Jumping..... :no: Scratch a part of my last line, because jump or jumping sounds too strenuous.

jtartar

Jaiket,
If you are a Christian and you believe the Bible,as all true Christians do, you will believe there is a life after this one, when it is pointed to you what the Holy Bible says.
Even the ancient believers in God knew they would live again. It is very interesting to learn what Job believed. Consider Job 14:12-15, where Job was at first asking God to die and rest in the grave until God's anger is past. Then Job asks the question; if a man dies can he live again, 14:14. Then Job answers the question; Job says that he would wait in the ground until God calls him. He said that God would have a yearning to see him again, 14:16.
It was revealed to Isaiah also that people would live again, Isa 20:19.
It was also told to Daniel that he would stand up again at the end of this system, Dan 12:13.
Even more important is what Jesus said and is recorded in the Greek Scriptures. At John 5:25-29. Jesus hear says that the dead will be resurrected, both the ones who did good thing and those who did vile things. As these scriptures tell, Bog has given His son the power and authority to resurrect the dead.
Paul was also sure of a resurrection. AT 1Cor 15:21,22, 35-45, Paul makes an argument for the resurrection. This resurrection is different than the resurrection of the vast majority. As you can see this resurrection will be to haeven, while most of the resurrected one will live again on earth. The Bible speaks about the FIRST resurrection, Rev 20:5,6. As Paul tells us at 1Cor 15:53,54, that the ones resurrected first will be resurrected IMMORTAL, they CANNOT DIE AGAIN. The ones resurrected onto earth can die again and some will, John 5:29.
Acts also records the same hope of the resurrection, Acts 24:15, tells us that there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous. It seem that the only one not to be resurrected are the ones God classifies as WICKED, Ps 9:5, 37:10,38, 92:7, Prov 11:7.

Scarlett Wampus

psychonaut
I generally believe that the singular sense of consciousness in space & time that I've come to associate with the personality "me" is a function of biology. It has no more metaphysical reality than any other idea in the mind. When the body dies, "me" very probably is extinguished with it.

That might not suggest there is an afterlife but it makes me wonder, well just what is this life to begin with? Why be worried about "me" dying when whatever gave rise to "me" in the first place must be so much greater than "me" can understand anyhow? My existential angst is a small silliness in the face of the mystery & vastness of it all.

xkatz

Atheistic heaven obviously includes a nude Richard Dawkins and Kool-Aid fountains ;)

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention in the Atheistic heaven, you get a free cup of noodles with a ball-in-a-cup, courtesy of the FSM.

Last edited:

Yerda

Veteran Member
I generally believe that the singular sense of consciousness in space & time that I've come to associate with the personality "me" is a function of biology. It has no more metaphysical reality than any other idea in the mind. When the body dies, "me" very probably is extinguished with it.
Same.

Wampus said:
Why be worried about "me" dying when whatever gave rise to "me" in the first place must be so much greater than "me" can understand anyhow?
My me is quite important to me. I'd like to preserve my me as long as possible. Wouldn't you like to be you after you die?