• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists have faith.

F1fan

Veteran Member
God is known to exist by some people.
If it is actual knowledge then there is a method for objective human minds to discern this from facts. These people haven't shared this method or the facts.

Or it is believers who are exaggerating their belief that a God exists and making an unethical claim that they have knowledge..

Which do you think it is?

F1fan

Veteran Member
From wiki:

"In physics, energy is the quantitative property that must be transferred to a body or physical system to perform work on the body, or to heat it. Energy is a conserved quantity; the law of conservation of energy states that energy can be converted in form, but not created or destroyed. The unit of measurement in the International System of Units (SI) of energy is the joule, which is the energy transferred to an object by the work of moving it a distance of one metre against a force of one newton.
So basically, energy is "work". It is the expression of forces interacting to make things happen.

Common forms of energy include the kinetic energy of a moving object, the potential energy stored by an object's position in a force field (gravitational, electric or magnetic), the elastic energy stored by stretching solid objects, the chemical energy released when a fuel burns, the radiant energy carried by light, and the thermal energy due to an object's temperature."
These are all the different categories of effects which those interacting forces make happen.

So energy is not material. Material isn't really even material. Existence is an organized system of interactive forces, and energy is the expression of that interactivity.
So you admit that energy isn't creative, as you claimed it was?

The "laws of physics" are the source code. They determine how and when the energy 'works' and how and when it doesn't. Which then determines what can exist and what can't.
You're forgetting (ignoring) the fact that the ways we humans characterize the mystery of existence are themselves part of the mystery of existence. A mystery that you have not unraveled any more than any other human has. So, really, you're in no position to be dismissing anyone else.
Do any physicists refer to the laws of physics as a source code? If not, then your claim it is has no foundation.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Faith that what they do is the right thing to do.
Oh, then synonyms would be confidence, understanding, trust, etc., and none of this is related to religious faith. It's just the usual type of self-awareness that a person will acknowledge to themselves as they go about their day.

It's like: I have faith that I will get my work done today. The work is an actual set of tasks, they get done as I spend time tending to my list. None of this can be compared to an irrational belief in some sort of god concept, or other similar religious beliefs.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If it is actual knowledge then there is a method for objective human minds to discern this from facts. These people haven't shared this method or the facts.
God exists is not the kind of knowledge that can be discerned from facts.
I have shared the method and it is called individual investigation of truth.
Or it is believers who are exaggerating their belief that a God exists and making an unethical claim that they have knowledge..

Which do you think it is?
It is neither one. Believers have knowledge of God but it is not factual knowledge because God cannot be proven to exist as a fact.
Please note that there is more than one kind of knowledge, thus there is more than one way to know something.

Definition of knowledge

1 a (1) : the fact or condition of knowing something with familiarity gained through experience or association

(2) : acquaintance with or understanding of a science, art, or technique

b (1) : the fact or condition of being aware of something

(2) : the range of one's information or understanding

c : the circumstance or condition of apprehending truth or fact through reasoning : cognition

d : the fact or condition of having information or of being learned

2 a : the sum of what is known : the body of truth, information, and principles acquired by humankind

b archaic : a branch of learning

Definition of KNOWLEDGE

F1fan

Veteran Member
God exists is not the kind of knowledge that can be discerned from facts.
I have shared the method and it is called individual investigation of truth.
It's not knowledge that is objective or credible. It's just another disingenuous bluff that some theists try to get away with, but don't.

It is neither one. Believers have knowledge of God but it is not factual knowledge because God cannot be proven to exist as a fact.
Please note that there is more than one kind of knowledge, thus there is more than one way to know something.
It's just another fraudulent claim that ethical and objective thinkers won't let theists get away with.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Your statement is based on your limited knowledge and limited facts. As such, it a 'biased' personal opinion, based on limited information. I don't care if you read what I posted. This is a public forum and I posted it so people would have accurate information. They can do whatever they want to with that information.

Your personal opinion does not bother me so I neither like it or dislike it.

Enough people agree with you so that shows that your opinion is accurate?

In argumentation theory, an argumentum ad populum (Latin for "appeal to the people") is a fallacious argument that concludes that a proposition is true because many or most people believe it: "If many believe so, it is so." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

My statement is based on facts. And you cannot honestly deny that, wlll you can do is create apologetic excuses for misogyny

Personal opinion is what i got based on facts. As strong as your personal opinion regards to your faith.

Accurate enough.

Irrelevant Straw man.

PureX

Veteran Member
So you admit that energy isn't creative, as you claimed it was?
Stop being such a child. If you can't offer any real rebuttal, then don't offer one.
Do any physicists refer to the laws of physics as a source code? If not, then your claim it is has no foundation.
(Another absurdly weak objection. "The sacred priests of science call it "Allah", not "God", so God doesn't exist!")
And yet that is what they are. As they do determine that nature of existence as it is. An existence that is happening as the result of a highly organized, balanced, and mighty expression of energy.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
It was of interest for me to explore how living a life in attributes and deeds, which is in my religion, shown to be a strong faith and that athiests who live in this manner would not call it Faith? (I also see that is the aim of all religions) Faith is shown in attribute based actions and deeds.

Atheists don't call it religious faith because living as a decent human being doesn't require religious faith. It requires being brought up as a human or later learning as a human, that it is best for the survival of our families, neighbors and other humans, and nature if we live and act as decent human beings.

I see a whole bunch of posts later you still fail to understand that being an atheist means we don't believe in or need God(s) help and especially not "faith" to be decent people.

The fact that there are some aspects of religion and various religions that may also teach that being a decent human is a good thing, does not mean those ideas are only for God believers. It does not even mean those ideas originated in religious thought. It means religions have adopted those ideas and teach them but for all the wrong reasons. They promote it out of fear of what will happen to you when you die if you don't follow their particular religious doctrines and don't believe in their version of God. They threaten punishment from an imaginary source if one doesn't fall in line with their dogmas. They use humans natural fear of death and the unknown in order to make adherents tow the line.

Religious people have beliefs that anyone who has any morals or ethics and is a decent human being must have gotten them from God. And believe that somewhere deep inside those atheists really do believe that their goodness has to come from faith in God whether they know it or not.

Just not the case. For the final time, atheists do not have anything close to what you believe is faith in order to do good works, be empathetic, caring, loving, kind and decent people. So no, atheists do not have faith. Religious faith does not have the exclusive rights on being a good person. In fact, many who have religious faith don't come close to being decent humans.

I think if you were to drop this idea that somehow atheists have faith or that their goodness must come from a god, you might actually be able to understand atheists. Try reading up a bit on Secular humanism, the ideas, the works, the morals and ethics. If your religion will allow that type of "independent investigation" without the fear of becoming ungodly.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sec...simply called,of morality and decision making.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I know about the "new name" thing in Revelation, but where did Jesus say that "True Prophets" would come again?
The new name is not only mentioned in Revelation.

Isaiah 62:2 And the Gentiles shall see thy righteousness, and all kings thy glory: and thou shalt be called by a new name, which the mouth of the Lord shall name.

Revelation 2:17 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth it.

Revelation 3:12-13 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

The Bible says he would come with a new name, so we know he would not be called Jesus. The new name means that the return of Christ would be another man. Why would Jesus change his name if he wanted people to know He was Jesus? Sadly, Christians do not bother to think about what these verses actually mean -- what the Spirit saith unto the churches -- yet they have completely disregarded what the Spirit said because they STILL believe that the same Jesus is going to come down from heaven on the clouds.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So is my statement, except I have many more facts than you have since I am a Baha'i.

What does your faith havecto do with facts? The fact is your faith bars women from the top tier. You can make any excuse you want for that but it makes no difference to the fact

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheists don't call it religious faith because living as a decent human being doesn't require religious faith. It requires being brought up as a human or later learning as a human, that it is best for the survival of our families, neighbors and other humans, and nature if we live and act as decent human beings.

A decent human being, so who sets those standards?

Let's consider where do most of the standards come from, as they have evolved and been taught to get to where we are now.

We could explore the question would one be happy with a way of life that the leaders of China offer? They have tried to do away with religious standards and impart men's standards?

How about the way the Drug Cartels live their lives, without following law on these matters, they set their own laws and they are happy and content with their life, do we choose those standards? If not why not, what human can say their choices are wrong?

It is all so easy these days to think that our moral standards are our own and in a way they are, and in another they are not. They are a capacity we have, but nature and nurture must bring them out of us and an education is needed. The virtues are a spiritual manifestation of our capacity to be more than an animal.

I see all moral and ethical standards practiced that build civilization can be traced to a spiritual message and lack of those morals and standards can be traced back to our rejection of the standards brought by spiritual messages from God.

Regards Tony

Last edited: