• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists Can't Prove

lukethethird

unknown member
Atheists can't prove that they don't believe in God, just as theists can't prove that they do believe in God, so who do we believe, agnostics?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Atheists can't prove that they don't believe in God, just as theists can't prove that they do believe in God, so who do we believe, agnostics?
In what way you will like atheists to prove that they do not believe in any God? Do not my posts and those of many others satisfy you?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We can't trust anybody.
Yeah, believe in what has evidence. Do not believe in fiction and those who claim to be Godmen.
They would have to swear to God that they don't believe.
Indians swear by duty ('dharma') - They will say 'dharma se', i.e., in the name of 'duties'.
UK: Atheists are allowed to "solemnly, sincerely and truly affirm" instead of swearing. (BBC)

"The oaths act, 1969: The schedule (See section 6) Forms of oaths or affirmations
Form No. 1 (Witnesses):— I do (Swear in the name of God) / (Solemnly Affirm) that what I shall state shall be the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
Form No. 2 (Jurors):— I do (Swear in the name of God) / (Solemnly Affirm) that I will well and truly try and true deliverance make between the State and the prisoner(s) at the bar, whom I shall have in charge, and a true verdict give according to the evidence.
Form No. 3 (Interpreters):— I do (Swear in the name of God) / (Solemnly Affirm) that I will well and truly interpret and explain all questions put to and evidence given by witnesses and translate correctly and accurately all documents given to me for translation.
Form No. 4 (Affidavits):— I do (Swear in the name of God) / (Solemnly Affirm) that this is my name and signature (or mark) and that the contents of this my affidavit are true."
https://indiankanoon.org/doc/241320/

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
An absurd statement. Is there reason to suspect atheists are lying? That theists are lying?

Belief is a real cognitive activity. It's a fact that humans believe. So the dispute is not that humans believe, but whether atheists and theists are being honest in how they represent themselves.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member

There is only one group of humans true to themselves and those are the seekers of truth. If you don't seek truth, you can deceive yourself in beliefs that you know things that are false and deny things you know are true. This happens when desires are followed over truth. So being true yourself, you have to want to know the truth about yourself, and this doesn't happen by following conjecture and desires, but following guidance from God.

F1fan

Veteran Member
There is only one group of humans true to themselves and those are the seekers of truth.
Right, this is why I questioned what I was told about God existing and when there was no facts or adequate explanation I rejected it. That is finding truth within the capacity of my intellect and ethics.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Right, this is why I questioned what I was told about God existing and when there was no facts or adequate explanation I rejected it. That is finding truth within the capacity of my intellect and ethics.

You tell yourself that. You just purely assert God cannot be known out of conjecture.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
There is only one group of humans true to themselves and those are the seekers of truth. If you don't seek truth, you can deceive yourself in beliefs that you know things that are false and deny things you know are true. This happens when desires are followed over truth. So being true yourself, you have to want to know the truth about yourself, and this doesn't happen by following conjecture and desires, but following guidance from God.

Is that true? Or is that your opinion.

I know for a fact that i am true to myself, no god required.

PureX

Veteran Member
Umm ... why would anyone need to prove that they believe anything? And why should we let anyone else determine what we believe?

People believe whatever they want to believe for whatever reasons they want to believe it. And so can you and I. Since the nature and existence of "God" can't be proven one way or another, we are free to decide for ourselves. Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, ... they're each as valid a choice as the next. So the question then becomes, which choice works the best for me in my own life? And only I can determine that. Even though there are plenty of people who will try to determine that for us.