• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists are not guilty of sin

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Yes you do think that don't you, I personally think your wrong and are just wasting your life with that belief which will never happen.
too much life on this planet to say there is no God

too many molecules falling into place to be chaotic coincidence

Bob the Unbeliever

it's a choice

your choice displays your manner of thought and feeling

then God and heaven makes a choice....
let you follow...or.....leave you wherever you fell

I beg to differ: it is no more a choice, than if I could say, "Hand! Depart from me! Take thyself off of Arm, and Leave."

One either has faith-- or one does not. Choice has little to do with this.

Bob the Unbeliever

no really.....

and arrogance is the shield of those who will not choose

they think they are above the scheme of things
and cannot be touched

False, again-- do you think I like being the only atheist in my family?

It's like being the only kid in class, who knows that Santa Claus isn't real--but being unable to tell the other kids, for fear of their meltdown.

It's not a choice. No more than breathing is-- you breathe, because you are driven to-- even if you do hold your breath? Your body shuts off your will (and your mind), and you begin breathing once more.

The thing is? Once a person understands that faith is believing in things for which there is no evidence? That kinda ruins it for many-- they recognize that there is no sane, no rational reason to continue believing-- no evidence? Really?

If there was a god? There would be just the one religion-- and we'd not need faith-- we'd know.

The fact that gods must be told to a person, by some other person? Shows that the gods in question are incapable of actually communicating with people...

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I beg to differ: it is no more a choice, than if I could say, "Hand! Depart from me! Take thyself off of Arm, and Leave."

One either has faith-- or one does not. Choice has little to do with this.
and it is written.....if your hand offends you.....cut it off

the choice...and the will to abide....
are rather sever (literally)

but it speaks a discipline of mind

not sure if I could do it

How about you?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
False, again-- do you think I like being the only atheist in my family?

It's like being the only kid in class, who knows that Santa Claus isn't real--but being unable to tell the other kids, for fear of their meltdown.

It's not a choice. No more than breathing is-- you breathe, because you are driven to-- even if you do hold your breath? Your body shuts off your will (and your mind), and you begin breathing once more.

The thing is? Once a person understands that faith is believing in things for which there is no evidence? That kinda ruins it for many-- they recognize that there is no sane, no rational reason to continue believing-- no evidence? Really?

If there was a god? There would be just the one religion-- and we'd not need faith-- we'd know.

The fact that gods must be told to a person, by some other person? Shows that the gods in question are incapable of actually communicating with people...
it doesn't matter what you like

and your last breath is not your choice

Bob the Unbeliever

it doesn't matter what you like

and your last breath is not your choice

My last breath? Does not have to be something beyond my control, does it? I can always choose to end my existence in some permanent way.

As for your first statement? That sounds like a threat.

What sort of super-being requires threats, in order to get and keep followers? Hmmm?

Just like Doctor Doom, or Batman's nemisis, The Joker-- always issuing threats...

Pretty evil, if you ask me...

Bob the Unbeliever

and it is written.....if your hand offends you.....cut it off

the choice...and the will to abide....
are rather sever (literally)

but it speaks a discipline of mind

not sure if I could do it

How about you?

I cannot force myself to believe in some very ugly god-- and there are no exceptions to this rule: ALL gods are, at some point, very ugly things.

Oh, I used to believe Quite Well-- I was easily as fervent as anyone in town. I had far more faith that the pastor did-- and his wife, too! You betcha, I did.

But. I started digging to the horse-exhaust that I had been fed a steady diet of, since I was first able to speak.

The deeper I got? The more of the bible I read, continuously? (and not just Selected Shorts, a verse or three here or there, as I had also been taught)

The less faith I had that it was good. By "it", of course, I mean "the bible". As I begin to grasp the whole ugly picture the bible paints, of it's god? The more I realized that not only is the bible itself, quite evil, but the god the bible depicts is also quite evil.

And it hit me: The bible was the very proof I was looking for! Only not in the way that most theists think... No, the very existence of the bible was pretty certain proof that there could not possibly exist a god who cared and was good!

NO god who was at all concerned with the fate of humanity, would have permitted the bible's continued existence--for by existing, it ruined any possible "goodwill" that such a being might have, with respect to humanity.

And that was it. I realized I had no faith at all in the bible-- and therefore? No faith at all in gods-- for by allowing the bible to exist, they showed they either did not care, or were malicious beasts with evil intent.

Or? They (god or gods) simply didn't exist at all.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I cannot force myself to believe in some very ugly god-- and there are no exceptions to this rule: ALL gods are, at some point, very ugly things.

Oh, I used to believe Quite Well-- I was easily as fervent as anyone in town. I had far more faith that the pastor did-- and his wife, too! You betcha, I did.

But. I started digging to the horse-exhaust that I had been fed a steady diet of, since I was first able to speak.

The deeper I got? The more of the bible I read, continuously? (and not just Selected Shorts, a verse or three here or there, as I had also been taught)

The less faith I had that it was good. By "it", of course, I mean "the bible". As I begin to grasp the whole ugly picture the bible paints, of it's god? The more I realized that not only is the bible itself, quite evil, but the god the bible depicts is also quite evil.

And it hit me: The bible was the very proof I was looking for! Only not in the way that most theists think... No, the very existence of the bible was pretty certain proof that there could not possibly exist a god who cared and was good!

NO god who was at all concerned with the fate of humanity, would have permitted the bible's continued existence--for by existing, it ruined any possible "goodwill" that such a being might have, with respect to humanity.

And that was it. I realized I had no faith at all in the bible-- and therefore? No faith at all in gods-- for by allowing the bible to exist, they showed they either did not care, or were malicious beasts with evil intent.

Or? They (god or gods) simply didn't exist at all.
I don't believe in God because of a book
and will not cease believing because a book is poorly written

all above my head and all I see around me....speaks of God
you know the Artist by His creation

a written testimony is all but nothing compared to the lilies of the field

Thief

Rogue Theologian
My last breath? Does not have to be something beyond my control, does it? I can always choose to end my existence in some permanent way.

As for your first statement? That sounds like a threat.

What sort of super-being requires threats, in order to get and keep followers? Hmmm?

Just like Doctor Doom, or Batman's nemisis, The Joker-- always issuing threats...

Pretty evil, if you ask me...
noting consequence is not a threat

Bob the Unbeliever

I don't believe in God because of a book

False. Without that book? You would have no belief, no faith.

You were not born with that faith-- it had to be forced into your defenseless brain before you could reason.

Subsequently to that, your perception became tainted with the idea, thus you "see" your "god" in everything.

But none of that is actually evidence... just human bias.

Bob the Unbeliever

noting consequence is not a threat

A threat is still a threat even if you rename it.

To worship a beast who thinks it's fine to sell your daughters into slavery, to pay for debts? Is ... not good.

Any being who has to stoop to tortures and infinite punishment to keep followers? Is evil.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
False. Without that book? You would have no belief, no faith.

You were not born with that faith-- it had to be forced into your defenseless brain before you could reason.

Subsequently to that, your perception became tainted with the idea, thus you "see" your "god" in everything.

But none of that is actually evidence... just human bias.
nay....I was but a child.....not versed in verses....

and I beheld the stars
the street lights....the car lights
my father's welding torch
even the mosquitoes bouncing on the window screen

and gave praise from my own thoughts

if God created all of this....then He is truly wonderful

Thief

Rogue Theologian

To worship a beast who thinks it's fine to sell your daughters into slavery, to pay for debts? Is ... not good.

Any being who has to stoop to tortures and infinite punishment to keep followers? Is evil.
I do not believe the testimony of Man

Thief

Rogue Theologian

let's run with that for a step or two.....

a Creator....the Almighty.......is evil

looks like your screwed
and your denial is your undoing

Bob the Unbeliever

looks like your screwed
and your denial is your undoing

It's not so much "denial" as it is a request for evidence. I'm happy to entertain evidence, if you had any.

PS. In English, "your" is possessive pronoun.

'You are' is represented by "you're". The apostrophe indicates the two words are conjoined.

Thus, your phrase "looks like your screwed" is incorrect on at least two levels.