• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists are less open-minded than religious people

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Eh. Just because someone's an atheist it doesn't mean that they read books. Sure you can have an ignorant, stupid, arrogant person who thinks of themselves as an atheist and bossily talks about it to lesser humans. It can happen.

So...yeah it can happen, but its not a good idea to generalize from that.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Eh. Just because someone's an atheist it doesn't mean that they read books. Sure you can have an ignorant, stupid, arrogant person who thinks of themselves as an atheist and bossily talks about it to lesser humans. It can happen.

So...yeah it can happen, but its not a good idea to generalize from that.

Hey, there's a poll. You can't argue with polls.
Um, setting aside the Trump election of course...

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I call clickbaiting, and bait-and-switch!

Having a closed mind is in no way clearly and causally linked to a--holiness...nor the converse!

And I'd demonstrate it with a neat Venn diagram if I could find one that would work on such short notice!

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
A study of 788 people in the UK, France and Spain concluded that atheists and agnostics think of themselves as more open-minded than those with faith, but are are actually less tolerant to differing opinions and ideas.

Atheists are less tolerant than religious people, study claims

So does becoming an atheist make one an arrogant a-hole?

1.jpg
Of COURSE NOT!

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
A study of 788 people in the UK, France and Spain concluded that atheists and agnostics think of themselves as more open-minded than those with faith, but are are actually less tolerant to differing opinions and ideas.

1.jpg

How much trust do you wish to place in an article on atheism and religion that can't correctly spell the word "Buddhists?"

But I digress.

Sure, atheists might be less open minded about spirituality that religious people, but I have yet to see one pick up a sword and take someone's life because they didn't accept scientific theory.

Skwim

Veteran Member
From the linked article

"Researchers at the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium suggest religious believers 'seem to better perceive and integrate diverging perspectives'"​

and

Filip Uzarevic, who co-wrote the paper, said his message was that "closed-mindedness is not necessarily found only among the religious".

Hardly statements supporting the misleading title claim:

"Atheists are less open-minded than religious people, study claims"
Moreover, the study, having been constructed by Researchers at the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium, raises the question of impartiality.

David T

Premium Member
It's mathematically impossible and based on simple scientific fact of the laws of physics that atheists cant actually be more superficial. Now I understand church to be at about a neutrino deep. So is .00000000001 to infinity less of a neutrino really less deep I see no evidence at all. Besides atheists prefer better shows than church you have to give them some credit for that. A more sophisticated palette of entertainment and what they consume. Some of them even love Tolkien and Harry Potter !!!! Not a bad bunch of folks at all. I rib them but I actually expect more from them, I usually just get southern baptist responses from them. Normal totally normal folks.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
How much trust do you wish to place in an article on atheism and religion that can't correctly spell the word "Buddhists?"

But I digress.

Sure, atheists might be less open minded about spirituality that religious people, but I have yet to see one pick up a sword and take someone's life because they didn't accept scientific theory.

You mean you haven't heard of the Bhuddist Monk from Myanmar who died and was resurrected after three days?

Some of the sources call it Christian propaganda. But others say that it is not... that it is a true account. Fairly specific place names and dates are given pertaining to some details. I'd say it's definately worth taking a look at! Especially if you are Bhuddist, or work in a mission among Bhuddists.

13) 2000 A.D.: A Bhuddist Monk Comes Back To Life After Three Days...Proclaiming Christ?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
You mean you haven't heard of the Bhuddist Monk from Myanmar who died and was resurrected after three days?

Some of the sources call it Christian propaganda. But others say that it is not... that it is a true account. Fairly specific place names and dates are given pertaining to some details. I'd say it's definately worth taking a look at! Especially if you are Bhuddist, or work in a mission among Bhuddists.

13) 2000 A.D.: A Bhuddist Monk Comes Back To Life After Three Days...Proclaiming Christ?

You mean the "Bhurmese" one? Seems legit.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.

No, I was already an arrogant a-hole before I became an atheist.

I would also like to see a definition of what "open-minded" and "tolerant" means in the context of this article.

If you ask me to provide evidence for my claim that there is an invisible dragon living in my garage, instead of merely taking my word for it . . . does that make you close-minded and intolerant of my ideas?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often

1.jpg
I'm certain that there are some even on this site that have blind spots to their prejudice. But I can still have nice conversations with them.

I voted no, but if you had put overly opinionated, yes.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
From the linked article

"Researchers at the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium suggest religious believers 'seem to better perceive and integrate diverging perspectives'"​

and

Filip Uzarevic, who co-wrote the paper, said his message was that "closed-mindedness is not necessarily found only among the religious".

Hardly statements supporting the misleading title claim:

"Atheists are less open-minded than religious people, study claims"
Moreover, the study, having been constructed by Researchers at the Catholic University of Louvain in Belgium, raises the question of impartiality.

Yes. Anyone can be utterly closed-minded - atheist, believer, Democrat, Republican.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

1.jpg
Look at the atheists here on RF....do we think alike?
We have capitalists duking out with commies....feminists
v anti-feminists....vegans v carnivores....etc v etc.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Look at the atheists here on RF....do we think alike?
We have capitalists duking out with commies....feminists
v anti-feminists....vegans v carnivores....etc v etc.
Just ask a room full of atheists to define the term. Death abounds. We definitely do not think alike. But that doesn't mean atheists couldn't be more close-minded.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

1.jpg
Depends on what is meant by arrogant and numerous emotional afflictions.

Is it arrogant to dismiss things like talking snakes and donkeys, magical trees, floating Sky Daddy's watching over you, zombies from the dead, Lakes of Fire burning from mystery fuel, watches found assembled in woods, stars that lead to specific point on Earth, writings from unknown authors accepted as credible, Jesus camp, levitating gurus, not drinking water for months, Buddha boy, dancing sun, apparitions, signs of the virgin mother in peanut cans. ..eh, list goes on and on..?

Is it arrogant to say what a bunch of *********?