• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists are just mad at God!!!

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
I've witnessed (and been involved in) a number of theist/atheist debates and it never ceases to amaze me how often atheists are accused of being angry with god. It makes no sense to me and I'd like to pose two questions here:

1. Why do you think this accusation is thrown around so much?

2. How does it make any sense for an atheist to be mad at something that they don't even believe exists?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Seeing how it would be completely irrational to deny obvious facts and in the process damn onesself to eternal torment, I think this accusation implies that atheists are idiots.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It makes sense...somewhat. Some people can't imagine a life without God.
To be angry at God would seem more likely than to be unaware of him.

You think I'm angry at God? Well, I'm far more p*****d at that stingy piker, Santa Claus!

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I've witnessed (and been involved in) a number of theist/atheist debates and it never ceases to amaze me how often atheists are accused of being angry with god. It makes no sense to me and I'd like to pose two questions here:

1. Why do you think this accusation is thrown around so much?

2. How does it make any sense for an atheist to be mad at something that they don't even believe exists?
It's hard for some religious people to understand that others don't think like them. So they have to give themselves a satisfying explanation for that fact.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
No offense, but when I've seen some Atheists who go on and on about how cruel and sadistic god is, and go on and on about how primitive and terrible Christian beliefs are, it does make me think some of them might be mad at god. Either that, or bitter at their parents for forcing them to believe that nonsense.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Some people cannot fathom that other's don't believe their fantasies, so it's easier for them to invent some other explanation - generally an explanation that they can relate to, such as childish anger.

Rainbow Mage

Oh I don't think anger at god is the reason one might be an Atheist, persay, just that I think I have observed anger in some Atheists before.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
No offense, but when I've seen some Atheists who go on and on about how cruel and sadistic god is, and go on and on about how primitive and terrible Christian beliefs are, it does make me think some of them might be mad at god. Either that, or bitter at their parents for forcing them to believe that nonsense.

Pointing out how disgusting some portrayals of god are doesn't mean we're "mad at him".

Oh I don't think anger at god is the reason one might be an Atheist, persay, just that I think I have observed anger in some Atheists before.

Of course you have. There is a lot to be angry about when it comes to how religion impacts culture and politics. That still doesn't translate into "mad at god".

Rainbow Mage

Pointing out how disgusting some portrayals of god are doesn't mean we're "mad at him".

Of course you have. There is a lot to be angry about when it comes to how religion impacts culture and politics. That still doesn't translate into "mad at god".

I see your point

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Is Darth Vader a bad person?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
he is just misunderstood

From a certain point of view.
lol.

... but if I was to say that I though Darth Vader was a bad person, and that it was morally wrong of him to destroy Alderaan (which now that I remember more clearly, it was acutally Grand Moff Tarkin who did it, but for the same of this analogy, let's pretend it was Vader :D), nobody would think that I believed that Darth Vader was a real person or that Alderaan was actually destroyed by the Death Star.

So why would people automatically assume that if I was to say that it was morally wrong of God to flood the Earth, that I actually believed in a literal God or a global flood?

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
lol.

... but if I was to say that I though Darth Vader was a bad person, and that it was morally wrong of him to destroy Alderaan (which now that I remember more clearly, it was acutally Grand Moff Tarkin who did it, but for the same of this analogy, let's pretend it was Vader :D), nobody would think that I believed that Darth Vader was a real person or that Alderaan was actually destroyed by the Death Star.

]So why would people automatically assume that if I was to say that it was morally wrong of God to flood the Earth, that I actually believed in a literal God or a global flood?

There is no reason (that I can see) to make the leap but, as I said in the OP, it happens remarkably often.

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
Well, personally, I'm mad at God because He allowed Darth Vadar and Grand Moff Tarkin to destroy Alderaan. Only a malicious, cruel, heartless god would allow such tragedy to occur to an entire planet. Ever since that happened, I've been unable to contain my anger at the Holy Father.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Well, personally, I'm mad at God because He allowed Darth Vadar and Grand Moff Tarkin to destroy Alderaan. Only a malicious, cruel, heartless god would allow such tragedy to occur to an entire planet. Ever since that happened, I've been unable to contain my anger at the Holy Father.

A revolting ode to the God I hate.....

I also agree that God stinks.
He's yet to work out humans' kinks.
I'll cut him some slack
for clones who attack,
but never forgive Jar Jar Binks.

Last edited:

Eliot Wild

Irreverent Agnostic Jerk
I also agree that God stinks.
He's yet to work out humans' kinks.
I'll cut him some slack
for clones who attack,
but not when he made Jar Jar Binks.

Ahhhhhh, me sa', me sa', me sa' dat good!! Me sa mad at God too. Ex-squeeze me sa, but God flood Gunga City ... He no good.

Edit: Okay, I got to do an edit .... I just can't speak or write Gungan. So, I apologize to everybody who stumbles upon this post.

Last edited: