• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists and Abstracts

Ponder This

Historically it has been theists that have explored abstracts and the pursuit of science; so why do you suppose atheists might believe theists to be disillusioned?

No, why would you think that?
If you want to play that game it should also be highlighted that atheism didn't exist to a significant degree until the last 150 years. Since that time atheist thinkers have made stunning breakthroughs in numerous areas, so much so, that theists are no longer on the vanguard and are struggling to keep up.

its no game. it just historically that theists have been on the leading edge of most research in all sciences. even einstein wasn't an atheist. he was an advocate for buddhism; which isn't exactly a dyed in the wool atheist.

Again though, in the last 150 years, it has not been theists who have been on the bleeding edge.

I stand unconvinced that theism as it is now understood has much of a historical existence. Until perhaps the Industrial Revolution people did not often have the luxury to take refuge into vanity beliefs.

This is all very strange to me and incredibly speculative. Not simply that we would presume to know the inner most thoughts of the greatest minds of history, but to have the audacity to declare correlations without a detailed collection and accounting of data. The ability to do this does not appear to me to be correlated with any particular belief systems (theist or atheist) - from my highly subjective and statistically insignificant opinion. I speculate that it is a human trait we all share.
I'll call it "Having an Imagination".

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
This is all very strange to me and incredibly speculative. Not simply that we would presume to know the inner most thoughts of the greatest minds of history, but to have the audacity to declare correlations without a detailed collection and accounting of data. The ability to do this does not appear to me to be correlated with any particular belief systems (theist or atheist) - from my highly subjective and statistically insignificant opinion. I speculate that it is a human trait we all share.
I'll call it "Having an Imagination".

Einstein said imagination was everything. it is a preview of life's coming attractions.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
yes, but believing in a personal god isn't a part of buddhist theology. the only exception would be the non-self as a temporal deity, or maya, or manifestation.

I was simply giving examples of how Einstein felt, and wrote when people tried to profit by misrepresenting his beliefs. There are many people who do and it's really kind of sad.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Would an atheist have a harder time understanding, accepting, and pursuing an abstract because of lack of evidence and/or experience?

I am a mathematician. Mathematics is usually regarded as a highly abstract subject and I seem to do very well with it. And, yes I am an atheist.

Ben Dhyan

Veteran Member
I am a mathematician. Mathematics is usually regarded as a highly abstract subject and I seem to do very well with it. And, yes I am an atheist.
Precisely, and I respect your talents to this end, but for me the religious life is the go, and the real is more important than the abstract representation of the real.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Historically it has been theists that have explored abstracts and the pursuit of science; so why do you suppose atheists might believe theists to be disillusioned?

Because if they did not, they would not be atheists.

Ciao

- viole

A Vestigial Mote

So... did you actually mean to use the word "disillusioned?" The meaning of which is:

to have been freed from or deprived of illusion, belief, idealism, etc.; disenchanted

As an atheist myself, I have to say that I haven't met a theist yet that I felt had been "freed from [the] illusion" that their particular brand of theism presents. I mean... if they were "disillusioned", an atheists take on that would be that they were no longer theists.

Perhaps I'm missing some sort of nuance in the way you're meaning to use it?

Not to be explicitly insulting to theists... but perhaps you meant "delusional?"

suncowiam

Would an atheist have a harder time understanding, accepting, and pursuing an abstract because of lack of evidence and/or experience?

No. An atheist wouldn't give a rat's behind and move on to something else.

Unless that "abstract" (;) ;)) was causing society to harm itself for lack of evidence and/or experience..

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
So... did you actually mean to use the word "disillusioned?" The meaning of which is:

to have been freed from or deprived of illusion, belief, idealism, etc.; disenchanted

As an atheist myself, I have to say that I haven't met a theist yet that I felt had been "freed from [the] illusion" that their particular brand of theism presents. I mean... if they were "disillusioned", an atheists take on that would be that they were no longer theists.

Perhaps I'm missing some sort of nuance in the way you're meaning to use it?

Not to be explicitly insulting to theists... but perhaps you meant "delusional?"

hmmmm, good catch.

now that gave me another idea for a thread.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Probably.

While I have no problems to understand and accept abstract things like 10 dimensional manifolds, infinite dimensional Hilbert spaces, or the objects in category theory, i find it difficult to pursue them, whatever that means.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited: