• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists agree "we all lack belief in gods"

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's basically the only thing atheists can agree upon.

And it makes perfect sense.

I, an atheist, can completely disagree with another atheist on absolutely anything else in life except for our disbelief in gods.

Hmm. I like your sig. "For those who prefer the comfort of the lie, the truth will always make them uncomfortable."

I'd think it's, "for those who find comfort in how they define truth, will always be on a journey. For those who claim to have the truth, will be stuck in a hole they can't dig out of."

Yes, we all agree that we disbelieve in gods even though you'd probably find soon more posters will make it a bit more complicated. Yet, I wouldn't say (if you agree with your quote) that we are living the truth and others a lie. There is no right and wrong in life just how we conduct ourselves without harm to self and others. However one wants to shape the world to be comfortable in it depends on the person. For many atheist who don't need that type of comfort still have things, ideas, and beliefs that shape our world.

The only thing we have in common is: We don't attribute them to a god.

David T

Premium Member

I, an atheist, can completely disagree with another atheist on absolutely anything else in life except for our disbelief in gods.
Hey Just like church.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
As a strong atheist, it's not that I don't believe in god. I'm a bit more extreme. There is no god in my reality. I have utterly no use for the various god concepts. I guess if I was being incredibly generous I might croak, "I don't believe in god", but you are far, far more likely to hear me say, "There are no gods, just rich imaginations."

Skwim

Veteran Member

Hey, I've seen atheists agree the Earth revolves around the Sun, and agree that water doesn't flow up hill, and that Donald Trump is a narcissistic imbecile.

Straw Dog

True. We don't tend to go about our days trying to maintain and enforce a very particular concept of deity in our heads against opposing concepts of deity or against the absence of any such concept. It says what we're not, but not really what we are, unless you take the next step of actively declaring the absence of any gods from reality.

Atheists may split in a number of different ways. Some of us develop a more materialist or hedonist perspective while others may embrace Buddhism or another non-theistic/ mystical way. A hedonist and a Buddhist probably still do actually agree on many of the same things though, such as the reduction of suffering.