• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists/Agnostics/Skeptics! What are your sources of knowledge?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't quite understand. There isn't a single religion of which I am aware that defines itself solely by reading and interpreting a sacred text (literally or otherwise). Why does adapting itself and breathing beyond the confines of a book mean it was made up by clueless people? I'm really not following your logic here.

It's not too important, but out of curiousity, would Quranism meet your definition?

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
I currently read blogs, news sources (the non conventional ones as well as abc.net.au), I listen to many atheist and humanist podcasts and I hope to download some audio books by hitchens, dawkins and the like.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I currently read blogs, news sources (the non conventional ones as well as abc.net.au), I listen to many atheist and humanist podcasts and I hope to download some audio books by hitchens, dawkins and the like.

Heya, dgirl. Harris may be more up your street than Hitchens or Dawkins, I think? Anyway, my advice (which is worth precisely nothing) is to mix in some varied perspectives to your reading. You probably are, and you're just shorthanding here, but I wouldn't go with a steady diet of atheist literature, for example.

Yep, I know this makes me sound like an arrogant tool, so feel free to ignore, slap, or otherwise roll your eyes at me.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
Heya, dgirl. Harris may be more up your street than Hitchens or Dawkins, I think? Anyway, my advice (which is worth precisely nothing) is to mix in some varied perspectives to your reading. You probably are, and you're just shorthanding here, but I wouldn't go with a steady diet of atheist literature, for example.

Yep, I know this makes me sound like an arrogant tool, so feel free to ignore, slap, or otherwise roll your eyes at me.

I heard and read some comments he was making on the episode of bill maher where ben affleck was on and it was a bit off putting. Doesnt mean I cant give it a whirl.

Lol well I know a lot about paganism, christianity, hinduism and buddhism so the next natural step was humanism and atheism :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I heard and read some comments he was making on the episode of bill maher where ben affleck was on and it was a bit off putting. Doesnt mean I cant give it a whirl.

Lol well I know a lot about paganism, christianity, hinduism and buddhism so the next natural step was humanism and atheism :)

All makes sense. For me, Hinduism is a massive black box, and I really should dive in at some point. The reason I suggested Harris is that he is much more open to spirituality than Dawkins or Hitchens, who are more hardcore materialists.
I personally like Hitchens most, but it's more because I find his delivery very interesting, and think he is a good debater. Plus, I'm as spiritual as a cup of coffee. Anyhow, don't discount Harris. (if I'm reading your worldview right)

Maybe try this as a taster, see if it makes any sense/interest? Like I said, not really my thing, but he does at least think and speak about some issues I think you also think about.

dgirl1986

Big Queer Chesticles!
All makes sense. For me, Hinduism is a massive black box, and I really should dive in at some point. The reason I suggested Harris is that he is much more open to spirituality than Dawkins or Hitchens, who are more hardcore materialists.
I personally like Hitchens most, but it's more because I find his delivery very interesting, and think he is a good debater. Plus, I'm as spiritual as a cup of coffee. Anyhow, don't discount Harris. (if I'm reading your worldview right)

Maybe try this as a taster, see if it makes any sense/interest? Like I said, not really my thing, but he does at least think and speak about some issues I think you also think about.

Hitchens was english wasnt he? From little clips Ive heard he was very eloquent in the delivery of his messages.

Thanks for that :) I will check it out when I get home from work :)

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hitchens was english wasnt he? From little clips Ive heard he was very eloquent in the delivery of his messages.

Thanks for that :) I will check it out when I get home from work :)

Yes, English, but he lived in America, and was very interested in American politics, etc.
He has a whole raft of work which is NOT about religion, but religion is where he ultimately became best known worldwide I guess. Certainly took a lot of time as his life progressed.

I guess some see him as arrogant, or blame him for not being an expert in everything he debates about, but I think they're missing the point a little, to be honest.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The believers of Religion have sources of knowledge like Word of Revelation from G-d in addition to the other sources available to the Atheists.

Regards

Scripture fulfills a very specific role. Nor is it really unavailable to non-believers.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not too important, but out of curiousity, would Quranism meet your definition?

I'm honestly not familiar enough with it to say. But in general, it doesn't seem possible for a system of belief and practices to rest solely upon an unchanging text. Human life and existence is too dynamic for that; even differences in interpretation would produce variation.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
This thread is interesting in that it lampshades the challenges of holding a belief in a creator God in the Abrahamic mold.

One of the main ones is: how come not everyone perceives that creator God as existing and being the same as ours?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm honestly not familiar enough with it to say. But in general, it doesn't seem possible for a system of belief and practices to rest solely upon an unchanging text. Human life and existence is too dynamic for that; even differences in interpretation would produce variation.

Yes, in practice I suspect that is true, and there seems to be a level of individuality or difference amongst Quranists. But their intent (if not their practice) is to rest their entire religion on a book. And in contrast to Christianity, the book is supposed to represent the direct word of God.

Anyway, it's a side-track to the OP, so I'll stop. Just thought it worth raising the flag that there are groups that try to tie everything back solely to a book, imho.