• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheistic religions

mycorrhiza

Atheism is a religion the same way as Off is a TV-channel.

If you are atheistic you do not believe in a religion. You can still get a lot of meaning out of the philosophy that is behind the religion, but the religion itself is about supernatural beings and events, specifically God or Gods, and an atheist does not believe that God or Gods exist.

Atheists don't believe in God, and that's the only thing you can tell about someone who calls themselves an atheist. You can still believe in all kinds of supernatural beings and concepts. Besides, religion doesn't necessarily include anything supernatural. I call myself religious, because that's how I would classify my attitude towards and relationship with the Universe. I don't believe in anything supernatural, but I'm still religious.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Wrong on all counts.

See some forms of Jainism, Taoism, Buddhism, and Scientology. Raëlism is a modern, but explicitly atheistic religion.

Yup, yup. I completely agree. I still have trouble keeping a straight face when Raëlism is mentioned as anything other than a sign that the picnic basket is missing some sandwiches, but that's just down to my lack of maturity.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Yup, yup. I completely agree. I still have trouble keeping a straight face when Raëlism is mentioned as anything other than a sign that the picnic basket is missing some sandwiches, but that's just down to my lack of maturity.
I actually get emails from local Raëlians every now and then. You had to sign up to the website to read the ebooks when I joined, and ones would email every now and then to ask why I wasn't a Raëlian, and for some reason, they'd put me in their mailing list. :D

I remain as unconvinced now as I was then. ;)

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Raelians are, shall I say, unexpected.

I suppose they are indeed technically atheists, but I think it is only fair to say that they are not really typical atheists in any significant sense. It is very dangerous to extrapolate opinions on atheists from them.

A short while ago I opined that, if they happen to get their own DIR here, they should be classified as something like "alien based faiths" instead of "atheist faiths". I stand by what I said - and frankly, I don't see why anyone would disagree.

Edited to add: who would have guessed? I just checked and there _is_ an Alien-based faiths DIR already (albeit not one specific to Raelism, but serves the purpose well enough IMO).

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Raelians are, shall I say, unexpected.

I suppose they are indeed technically atheists, but I think it is only fair to say that they are not really typical atheists in any significant sense. It is very dangerous to extrapolate opinions on atheists from them.

Yeah, they're an... interesting bunch.

Just goes to show you don't have to be a theist to be... um... yeah... :D

ruffen

tell me more about Atheism.:)

Atheism is the only way to salvation. :angel2:

Seriously though, some people think that atheism equals a "lesser" life with less meaning. But in my opinion, not believing in an afterlife (which is not the same as atheism per se) and not believing that all this is just an 80-year audition to test me, but all there is, makes life more beautiful, with more value, and a precious thing.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
not believing in an afterlife (which is not the same as atheism per se)
You're right. It's not the same as atheism, because an afterlife and Deity, or lack of, are not mutually dependent upon one another. One can believe in one without the other. Many Deists believe in God without an afterlife, and Jains believe in an afterlife without a God.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Atheism is the only way to salvation. :angel2:
Well, you're not far off. :) Religions are about salvation, which is to say finding a place in the picture and meaning of the world, and the atheist often finds their salvation in rationalism, humanism and realism.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How can Hinduism be atheistic? The vedas are all theistic right?
Honestly, I don't understand it myself, and yes, the Vedas are pretty theistic, being odes to Agni, Indra, Mitra, and so on, but a couple of people here and there disagree.
My reply to this very question in Hinduism Directory today:
Nasadiya Sukta says:

अर्वाग देवा अस्य विसर्जनेनाथा को वेद यताबभूव ||
(arvāgh devā asya visarjanenāthā ko veda yataābabhūva ||)
"The Gods are later than this world's production. Who knows then whence it first came into being?"
Rig Veda: Rig-Veda, Book 10: HYMN CXXIX. Creation.

No, it does not. I am an atheist; but I accept Brahman, though not as a Supreme Spirit, but as the sole constituent of all things in the universe.