• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheistic Double Standard?

gnomon

"which pocket did you pull that out of?"

Are you really suggesting you never made an unsubstantiated claim?

I'm a manic depressive.

I've made many unsubstantiated claims in order to avoid stressful situations. And so much more.

The one factual claim I've made in this thread.....your OP is garbage.

Back up your claims.

Seriously. I'm offering advice.

Back up your claims. Generalizations are garbage.

Demanding that a religious claim....or any claim at all....be backed by hard evidence in and of itself is not a double standard. Especially if you live your life demanding substantiating claims for one's beliefs. That includes dietary claims, political claims, etc.

This thread has gone on for so long and no one has substantiated the claim that atheists adhere to a double standard. No one.

I love you. Have a good night.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
None of the arguments for God's existence have dimmed through time. In our time there has been an actual renaissance in philosophy in the direction of theism. I don't know why you introduce the idea of Hell in a discussion about philosophy but I do not believe in an eternal hell so it is irrelevant.

How do you go about canceling out the damage your immoral actions will cause through out eternity? The most common person associated with forgiveness is the very person you deny being forgiving. Guess you just don't know him.

Oh, come off it. I am going to have to separate this post just to fit them in.

Deuteronomy 10:17
17 For the LORD your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes.
1 John 2:2
Chapter Parallel Compare
2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.
Genesis 1:27
27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.
Hebrews 12:14
14 Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.
John 13:34
34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
Mark 12:31
31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. ’There is no commandment greater than these.”
Philippians 2:3
3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves,
Proverbs 22:2
2 Rich and poor have this in common: The LORD is the Maker of them all.
Romans 2:11
11 For God does not show favoritism.
Malachi 2:10
10 Do we not all have one Father ? Did not one God create us? Why do we profane the covenant of our ancestors by being unfaithful to one another?
James 2:8-9
8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers.
Leviticus 19:33-34
33‘When a foreigner resides among you in your land, do not mistreat them. 34 The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.
Luke 14:13-14
13 But when you give a banquet, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, 14 and you will be blessed. Although they cannot repay you, you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.”
Acts 10:34-35
34 Then Peter began to speak: “I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35 but accepts from every nation the one who fears him and does what is right.
Colossians 3:10-11
10 and have put on the new self, which is being renewed in knowledge in the image of its Creator. 11 Here there is no Gentile or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.

James 2:1-4
1 My brothers and sisters, believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ must not show favoritism. 2 Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. 3 If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, “Here’s a good seat for you,” but say to the poor man, “You stand there” or “Sit on the floor by my feet,” 4 have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

Galatians 3:26-29
26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Mark 12:25-37
25 When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 26 Now about the dead rising—have you not read in the Book of Moses, in the account of the burning bush, how God said to him, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? 27 He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!” 28 One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus had given them a good answer, he asked him, “Of all the commandments, which is the most important?” 29 “The most important one,” answered Jesus, “is this: ‘Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one. 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’There is no commandment greater than these.” 32 “Well said, teacher,” the man replied. “You are right in saying that God is one and there is no other but him. 33 To love him with all your heart, with all your understanding and with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself is more important than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.” 34 When Jesus saw that he had answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” And from then on no one dared ask him any more questions. 35 While Jesus was teaching in the temple courts, he asked, “Why do the teachers of the law say that the Messiah is the son of David?
25 Top Bible Verses About Equality - Inspiring Scripture
Top 7 Bible Verses About Equality

I have used up all the time I can justify for today for a single person, I might go back and address the rest at some point.
Cognitive dissonance -- the inability to see when one of your beliefs is in complete contradiction to another. Impartial, and love your neighbour (unless he's a Canaanite and you want to kill him and steal his land).

Accepts no bribes -- which is what sacrifices are -- and wasn't Jesus the greatest bribe (sorry, I mean sacrifice)?

God does not show favouritism -- unless, of course, you are David. God didn't kill David for David's sins, God killed David's (100% innocent) child.

In the same way, God didn't punish Pharaoh, who lived on -- instead he killed all the first-born of Egypt! Magnificent aim, to be able to do that, by the way. But he must have learned that AFTER the flood, since then he just killed everybody, even the newborns and unborn.

I know you cannot do it -- you cannot look at all these contradictions and see that they mean it's all pure fable. But without the blinkers of belief, many of us can easily see just how you blind yourself to that cognitive dissonance. The mathematician who could prove simultaneously that x = 2 and x <> 2 would know that he'd done something wrong and go back and work it out again. Religious belief simply doesn't permit that.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
There are so many different assumptions here that are wrong I don't know where to start.

Let's go with
1. God is a necessary being.
I thought God was the first cause. Did you change your definition? And, for that matter, what does it mean to be a 'necessary being'? Are you going to go into modal logic next?

2. You have not shown that morals are actually part of the 'nature' of God, whether defined as a first cause or as a necessary being. Morals are rules proscriptive rules for behavior. They aren't even the *type* of thing that can be in the 'nature' of something. Mass, charge, intelligence, sure. But a rule for behavior? no.

BTW the forum deleted all posts before this one. So if left anything un-responded to before I left on Friday you will have to give me the post number.

1. Why don't you have an avatar?
2. If there were so many errors in what I posted why didn't you correct them? You asked one question, and made an assumption about something else.
3. Yes God's being a necessary being probably most belongs in the field of modal logic, but what field it comes from doesn't matter. I just happen to see a heated discussion about whether to induct between 1 and 91 chunks of matter into the club of solar planet hood. Now the question on everyone mind is who gives a sh....? Sure didn't change anything about the solar system.
4. A necessary being is one which isn't contingent upon anything else existing. There is nothing about that, that conflicts with being an uncaused first cause. They fit like a hand in a glove.

5. Are you claiming that a being which gave over 700 formal laws is not a moral agent? If you read the book your denying you would find that moral values and duties are simply what is or is not consistence with God's nature. I would dig up the formal argument but I am not sure what your objecting to. To have good and evil, you must have a moral law, to have a moral law giver, to have a moral law giver you must have a moral agent.

You make that same claim again. I still say it is false. Objective morals *are* possible without the existence of a deity. All that is required is that humans thrive under some rules and not under others.
To be objective means to transcend the preference and opinions of the adherents of a standard. Your moral goal must be free from human preference and opinion. What non-human source decided that human flourishing was the objective of morality, and what non-human decides how to achieve that goal? Since there isn't one, then what your describing is speciesm not morality.

But, again, the act of murder is wrong. How is that an aspect of the 'nature' of God? Is it that God is repelled by such actions? OK, why does that make the action wrong? For that matter, why should I care that God is repelled by some action? Isn't it much more relevant that the humans I live with every day are?
The effect immorality has on God is unrelated to what makes a behavior right or wrong. You basically just ask a whole series of unrelated questions. However I will attempt a response anyway.

1. God created human life with purpose, meaning, and sanctity. If we deprive another of either of those things without sufficient cause God justly condemns our actions.
2. The bible says that God is grieved by our sin, but to grieve God is a little different than to grieve a human.
3. For one thing because you are interfering with his purpose for your life (which would in your best interest King James Bible I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly). If you continue to rebel and reject the price he himself paid to make up for the damage sins cost as the echo through the ages he will at best annihilate your soul after you die. He will not force you to believe. He gave you life, if you use it up in rebellion, he will take back that life. He does not want automatons. Love can only exist if freewill exists, if freewill exists, the ability to misuse it must exist.
4. The last question I couldn't figure out.

OK, so we imagine stories about deities. Isn't one of the characteristics of the deity you follow that it is incomprehensible to humans? That the ways of God are unknowable to us mere humans?
Yes and no. I can have as much revelation as God is willing to provide. I however can't fit an infinite being entirely into a finite mind. I know a subset of what makes up God and what he does. That subset is consistent and justifies trust concerning the rest.

Well, that is why we vote, now isn't it? Have you ever read Rawls on Justice? A just society is one where everyone would agree it is fair even if they don't know ahead of time where they will be in that society.
I saw a movie about the revolution. When asked if he supported going to war with King George, Mel Gibson responded with why should we trade 1 tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away. The reasons we vote are too many to list, mainly we did not like the way the British monarchy ruined the Church of England. Voting didn't help much, we are so far in debt, all the money in existence couldn't pay it off.

1. Why in the entire lifespan of the human race, have we never achieved this lofty goal.
2. What you're describing is also some kind of hybrid tautology.
3. It does not matter if everyone agreed on a set of laws, they would still be just as subjective, and unrelated to any objective moral duties and values that may exist.

Prove to me that any action you can think of that would actually be good or evil without reference to something transcendent. Just one thing, of any kind, you can even use a hypothetical if you want.

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Well, for one, I don't believe in a supernatural.
Your actions are not consistent with simple unbelief. They are more consistent with someone who dislikes the entire notion.

Works for me. Now, what does it mean to be a natural law?
I am just shooting from the hip but I would say it is usually a set of propositions which describe the way a segment of the universe behaves. They are descriptive, not prescriptive. They do not cause things to happen, they describe things that happen. I would also say that the reliability of each claim differs from every other claim.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am just shooting from the hip but I would say it is usually a set of propositions which describe the way a segment of the universe behaves. They are descriptive, not prescriptive. They do not cause things to happen, they describe things that happen. I would also say that the reliability of each claim differs from every other claim.
So anything that happens is necessarily natural?

I mean, you described "natural" as "anything bound by natural law" and "natural law" as (paraphrasing) the descriptive laws inferred from how things behave and from what happens in the universe. Put these two ideas together and we get that anything that happens is natural and anything that isn't natural doesn't happen.

Was that what you were going for?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Well, perhaps you found one. What argument can be made that the universe itself isn't 'necessary'?
BGVT, BBT, and a mountain of philosophy.

Asking this is like punching uncle Remise' tar baby. The universe is dissipating toward irrevocable heat death according to entropy. What wound it up to begin with? And if has existed for ever why didn't it achieve heat death an infinite time ago?

There you go, getting back to causation. I gave you examples of uncaused events.
No you haven't. According to some of my teachers and professional philosophers I trust, Quantum events come from fluctuations in energy fields. Whatever that is, it isn't the coming into being of a causeless effect out of nothing. Doing a swan dive into the same old rabbit hole containing the 1% of science that is the least understood.

If I answered every question you have with the famous astronaut quote from the bible:

New International Version
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

You wouldn't find it persuasive, so I deal with things that most consider persuasive. Philosophy, applied science, history, logic, morality, and experiential claims, etc.......

1robin

Christian/Baptist
And if omniscience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence are contradictory attributes, then God cannot exist, right?
True, though I am not sure that Omni-benevolence is the accepted term or not.

And why do you think an uncaused cause must be independent of time? I am pretty sure that there is nothing logically necessary about that position.
The cause of time can't be in time, again this is logically incoherent. The cause of all matter can't be material. The cause of space must be independent of space. The cause must have a host of specific attributes, if the alternative doesn't then it would lead to incoherence time after time. A cause cannot be composed of it's effect, I will add in here that at least effects which are the coming into being of a thing, but I am not sure I need that clarification or not.

Perhaps the problem is how you define the term 'cause'. Can you do so? What *precisely* does it mean to be a cause?
The efficient and sufficient action or being that produces an effect.

I have a definition, but it is in terms of natural laws, so I want to see if you can provide a coherent alternative.
Keeping in mind I define things in ways that make them relevant for theological debates, I think I got pretty close.

Something without which something else would not happen:
cause Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary

A person or thing that acts, happens, or exists in such a way that some specific thing happens as a result; the producer of an effect:
the definition of cause

a. The producer of an effect, result, or consequence.
b. The one, such as a person, event, or condition, that is responsible for an action or result.
cause

You also need to keep in mind that virtually all dictionaries are written from a secular (or neutral) point of view but the definitions I found fit nicely with the one I made up.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Of which I am not surprised. I doubt they often mention planetary dynamics either. Even less do they talk about nuclear reactions and how the sun functions. Yet all of those are relevant to the universe and worth understanding if you wish to know how the universe functions.
I would think the Quantum would be right at home in an electronics lab. However I need to stop mentioning anything about work on a forum, so just forget I brought it up.

My main interests are (in some semblance of order) math, physics, biology, history. In history, I emphasize the history of ideas, especially those leading up to the scientific revolution.
Good, then you ought to know of the multivolume history of the modern scientific revolution. I have heard him quoted a dozen times but never recall his name. His atheism wanted to deny what he kept seeing in the history of that period. The reason the modern scientific revolution took place only in Christian Europe was because men who believed in a rational God, they believed he would create a rational universe, they set out trying to decode the rationality in the universe, and modern science was born. There were of course missteps along the way but you will find a Christian or a Jewish person as the author of many entire fields of science.

I have been teaching math to those who don't wish to know for decades. Let me know what level of detail you want, and I can provide. The first, and most basic thing about QM is that it is not a causal theory: instead, it predicts the probabilities of various measurements.
Lets pretend you downloaded 100% of what you know about the quantum into my brain, what would I do with it? Not 5 years ago I heard one of the top tier of science's elites say there were ten methods applied to quantum theory. Half were deterministic and half weren't, and no one knew if any of them were right. Unfortunately your dealing with a person who grew to resent theoretical science. Look at it from my point of view, I used to think PhDs in scientific fields were rock stars. My Dad worked on the Apollo program. My college experiences (trust me you don't want me to list them all) left me disillusioned and heavily in debt.

I was raised in the church until my Mom got cancer, the sicker she got the madder I got, when she passed away I hated God and didn't like anyone even bringing him up. However when around 30 I met one of those rare Christians that lived consistently with his faith. I decided I was going to get to the bottom of religion once and for all. Despite my belief I would quickly reject God, I found the bible the best explanation for reality I knew of. You could say I got 90% of the way to God by effort, but the last infinite gap was supernatural. I won't bore you with the details but I had an experience with God one night that I had no expectation of nor enough words to describe.

Can you imagine how small mathematics looks to a guy who sincerely believes he met God that night? I chunked all my physics and math books during a move (except for 1 or 2) and now only read philosophy, theology, and military history (of all things). I am actually surprised science is so full of Christians, you would think there would be more that like me who wanted to study the creator instead of the creation.

I think I asked you before but have forgotten. What do you do for a living that leaves you all this time to debate?

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Cognitive dissonance -- the inability to see when one of your beliefs is in complete contradiction to another. Impartial, and love your neighbour (unless he's a Canaanite and you want to kill him and steal his land).
You asked me to post an example of equality within the bible. I gave you 17. Instead of following the testimony I gave you switched topics to badly paraphrasing an example of God's actions which do not even contradict his impartiality.

Impartiality in this context is not to judge based on arbitrary or superficial standards. I can go through the whole Canaanite thing but it takes a long time. So you would have to agree to drop everything else if you sincerely want to understand those events. Do you?

Before I go any further I must point out there is no obvious reason for God to be bound by the commands he gives to us. The same way children and adults should live by different standards. God is an infinite being and as such knows with perfect certainty things we are blind to. Its a no brainer he can have moral justifications for actions we would simply can't have. However he explains his actions concerning the Canaanites so we don't have to get into any of this stuff.

Accepts no bribes -- which is what sacrifices are -- and wasn't Jesus the greatest bribe (sorry, I mean sacrifice)?
So when I walk into Wal-Mart am I bribing the cashier to look the other way while I steal the TV or am I paying what is due to purchase it? Your engaged in the modern phenomena referred to as virtue signaling. You take a bad thing and then redefine it in a way that makes it seem good, and vice versa. It usually occurs in politics as if someone says to keep Social security solvent for all of us we need to raise the agree of retirement by 2 years. Liberals repackage that and suggest that doing so means we hate grandmothers. If you want to pick on the bible, why don't you just quote it? Stop making bible straw men.

God does not show favouritism -- unless, of course, you are David. God didn't kill David for David's sins, God killed David's (100% innocent) child.
God at times operates within the weaknesses of humanity, in fact he does so most of the time. Parting the sea is only meaningful because it is rare. Anyway, according to the doctrine of unaccountability that child either that second or after what will seem like a second (physical death is referred to as simply sleep many times) will be in perfect contentment in paradise. God punished David but could not wreck David's kingship because of many reasons. Prophecies about David's lineage resulting in Christ, because David while flawed was a godly man, and because of God's being able to see the horrific ripple effects of David's decline. God gave his son life, without having to watch loved ones die, without having ever suffered sickness, without experiencing this veil of tears was granted immortality. Exactly who was wronged here.

If you actually sincerely want to learn all about this event:
13. The Death of David’s Son (2 Samuel 12:14-31)

In the same way, God didn't punish Pharaoh, who lived on -- instead he killed all the first-born of Egypt! Magnificent aim, to be able to do that, by the way. But he must have learned that AFTER the flood, since then he just killed everybody, even the newborns and unborn.
What we do today makes what your describing look like a picnic and it is dressed up with the same virtue signaling you employ. They basically turn the industrialized murder of humans in the womb, into a virtue.

I know you cannot do it -- you cannot look at all these contradictions and see that they mean it's all pure fable. But without the blinkers of belief, many of us can easily see just how you blind yourself to that cognitive dissonance. The mathematician who could prove simultaneously that x = 2 and x <> 2 would know that he'd done something wrong and go back and work it out again. Religious belief simply doesn't permit that.
I am not defending some monolithic block called faith. I defend Christian faith and unlike any other faith I have ever heard of, both demands and promises a spiritual encounter with God the moment anyone and everyone comes to faith in Christ. Faiths do not all stand of fall together.

Every one of your complaints has a resolution. However you picked things that it takes a long time to resolve. If you pick your worst example from those you mentioned here we can spend the necessary time to determine exactly what occurred and why. I don't think you care enough to actually bother, but choosing one and getting to the bottom of it is the only offer on the table. So take your pick or stop complaining.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Can you explain what you mean by "chooses" in a context without time?
I am probably only postponing what you actually want to know but the context in what you responded to included time. I said God could choose to act in time, this necessarily implies the existence of time. However I think what you want to ask is how did God choose to create time, without time already existing to act within? I will wait for clarification before responding.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I am probably only postponing what you actually want to know but the context in what you responded to included time. I said God could choose to act in time, this necessarily implies the existence of time. However I think what you want to ask is how did God choose to create time, without time already existing to act within? I will wait for clarification before responding.
You said "unless he chooses to break into time," implying that God is making this choice from outside of time.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
So anything that happens is necessarily natural?
I was asked to define two different terms.

1. Your response does not follow from either description I gave.
2. Necessary is a loaded term used in modal logic. I am not sure how to interpret your use of it.
3. No, I do not believe everything that happens is natural.

I mean, you described "natural" as "anything bound by natural law" and "natural law" as (paraphrasing) the descriptive laws inferred from how things behave and from what happens in the universe. Put these two ideas together and we get that anything that happens is natural and anything that isn't natural doesn't happen.

Was that what you were going for?
I was going to try and clarify this further but I do not think I can. I said natural laws describe how events occur in the universe. That is true but it does not follow that they describe all events in the universe. For example if water turned to wine, the blind were healed, or a dead man came back to life that could occur in the universe but not be described by natural law.

I tell you what is truly weird, is that since many things like mathematics, logical laws, morality, etc... do not seem to have any foundation in nature. A better explanation would be to claim all events are ultimately supernatural and the only distinction would be between normal and rare. That distinction has much more explanatory scope and power than limiting ourselves to natural law alone.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
The concept of causation without time is also logically incoherent.
What is your standard for what binds the supernatural? Where did you get it? Why are you attempting to equate what binds the norm with what binds the exception? BTW I actually have an answer to the question your asking but I want you to see the absurdity of asking the question to begin with, first. We probably do not truly understand .01% of how this universe works, what are you using to so precisely determine what is possible outside of it?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I was asked to define two different terms.

1. Your response does not follow from either description I gave.
2. Necessary is a loaded term used in modal logic. I am not sure how to interpret your use of it.
3. No, I do not believe everything that happens is natural.
I'm using "necessarily" in the sense of "it follows that..."

I was going to try and clarify this further but I do not think I can. I said natural laws describe how events occur in the universe. That is true but it does not follow that they describe all events in the universe. For example if water turned to wine, the blind were healed, or a dead man came back to life that could occur in the universe but not be described by natural law.
If those things happened, they would be events occurring in the universe. A descriptive natural law inferred from what happens in the universe would reflect these things. Maybe our understanding of this law would be "these things happen and we don't know why", but it seems contradictory to say that natural law, designed to describe what happens, wouldn't describe certain things that happen.

I tell you what is truly weird, is that since many things like mathematics, logical laws, morality, etc... do not seem to have any foundation in nature. A better explanation would be to claim all events are ultimately supernatural and the only distinction would be between normal and rare. That distinction has much more explanatory scope and power than limiting ourselves to natural law alone.
I'm still not sure what you mean by "supernatural" or "natural law."

1robin

Christian/Baptist
You said "unless he chooses to break into time," implying that God is making this choice from outside of time.
I think there are 3 theories about how God relates to space time. The philosopher I trust the most said that God existed eternally until the creation event, then he become temporal, I can't remember what the end state was. I personally do not like this theory, but I trust the scholar so much I can't dismiss it. At least in his version you have a temporal relevant God acting in time. Are you sure you want to jump down this rabbit hole? I will if you will, but theories about time and God get very complex. I will give you the theory I find the most persuasive. It is that God is completely independent of space time but relative to another "kind" of time. The terms used the most are metaphysical time. Like I said things get deep fast on this subject. I will leave it up to as to whether you want to go deeper.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What is your standard for what binds the supernatural? Where did you get it? Why are you attempting to equate what binds the norm with what binds the exception? BTW I actually have an answer to the question your asking but I want you to see the absurdity of asking the question to begin with, first. We probably do not truly understand .01% of how this universe works, what are you using to so precisely determine what is possible outside of it?
The term "choose" includes a notion of action and therefore time. "Choosing" without time is a contradiction in terms, like a square circle.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
I'm using "necessarily" in the sense of "it follows that..."
Ok, but my response remains the same.

If those things happened, they would be events occurring in the universe. A descriptive natural law inferred from what happens in the universe would reflect these things. Maybe our understanding of this law would be "these things happen and we don't know why", but it seems contradictory to say that natural law, designed to describe what happens, wouldn't describe certain things that happen.
No that is specifically not what would happen. The definition of a miracle is that it not be the result of natural law.

Definition of miracle
1 : an extraordinary event manifesting divine intervention in human affairs the healing miracles described in the Gospels.

Let me ask you something. Why would you accept the concept of other universes, causeless effects, or infinite regression but deny the supernatural? I have come to observe a pattern in non-theists. It is not the magnitude, strangeness, or how exotic a claim is that causes it to be rejected by non-theists. It seems to only be whether the term natural or supernatural can be connected with it that determines your position.

I'm still not sure what you mean by "supernatural" or "natural law."
Something for which no explanation for it exists within natural law. That is where the word supernatural comes from, it means to transcend the nature.

Let's keep it simple. Let's assume that the proposition that murder is wrong is objectively true. The foundation for the truth of that proposition is not found in the universe, it isn't in a star, a proton, nor in anything in between. If it is true then it's foundation exists outside of nature. It transcends nature. It is supernatural.