• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Views.

Justanatheist

This comes from another thread where a theist talked about imposing atheist views on others.

Lets remind people atheists only have one view to impose, they lack belief in or positively state there are no gods.

That is it, full stop, the end, the parrot has gone to meet its maker!

Pro Evolution.
Pro Science.
Pro Abortion.
Pro LGBT.
Pro Birth Control.
Pro Vaccinations.
Pro Climate Change.
Wales being the best rugby team in the world.(fact)

Not one of the above is an atheist view, there are probably more theists who hold the above views than there are atheists and it is very possible for an atheist to not support any of them.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Atheists both impose advocating for a lack of belief in God, as well as many other things, some good, some bad. They do have the Straw Man that since atheism is a lack of a belief and that's it, that atheists don't impose views, though.

While it can probably be worked out where we theists don't say atheists impose views any more, I don't see the reason to do that and go to the trouble until atheists in general stop suggesting that theists impose views. Why should we go to the trouble of catering toward atheists if a lot of atheists aren't paying us the same respect?

Justanatheist

Atheists both impose advocating for a lack of belief in God, as well as many other things, some good, some bad. They do have the Straw Man that since atheism is a lack of a belief and that's it, that atheists don't impose views, though.

While it can probably be worked out where we theists don't say atheists impose views any more, I don't see the reason to do that and go to the trouble until atheists in general stop suggesting that theists impose views. Why should we go to the trouble of catering toward atheists if a lot of atheists aren't paying us the same respect?

Right to try to get you to understand try this sentence,

I do not think two men should be allowed to marry because of my religious views.

Now try to write a similar sentence that could be said by an atheist.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

An atheist - just like anyone else - holds a belief system that informs their views and actions. It's just that "atheism" isn't their belief system.

I'm trying to parse this. It seems like you're saying that as long as atheists point out that there are theists who impose their beliefs on others, theists have the right to impose their beliefs on others. Is this really what you meant to say?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

You seem to be falling into the trap of proposing something and then criticising others for not believing in such. It is not obvious that any deity exists (perhaps to some, but not all), and therefore it is up to you to provide the evidence for such. Hence it is you who is doing the imposing, and expecting any respect. :oops:

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Right to try to get you to understand try this sentence,

I do not think two men should be allowed to marry because of my religious views.

Now try to right a similar sentence that could be said by an atheist.

Atheists have their own dances, like saying,

I think this person should be in the mental hospital because of my views.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I'm trying to parse this. It seems like you're saying that as long as atheists point out that there are theists who impose their beliefs on others, theists have the right to impose their beliefs on others. Is this really what you meant to say?

No. I'm saying both sides impose their views.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
You seem to be falling into the trap of proposing something and then criticising others for not believing in such. It is not obvious that any deity exists (perhaps to some, but not all), and therefore it is up to you to provide the evidence for such. Hence it is you who is doing the imposing, and expecting any respect. :oops:

You seem to be not properly understanding the Burden of Proof in debates, which has already been talked about once or twice in the thread by @infrabenji

I'd reread who has the Burden of Proof.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
- I don't see how atheists are imposing their views on anyone.

- I don't think that generalizing about "atheists" as a group is useful. Whether someone believes in a god or not doesn't define their whole worldview.

Alright. So you see atheists as not imposing views, but theists as imposing them? Good for you.