1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist quentin smith ?

Discussion in 'Religious Debates' started by napatunsaga, Feb 27, 2020.

1. napatunsaga

napatunsaga Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Islam
    I have a question about the writer quentin smith.does quentin smith believe in multiverse?does quentin smith know what happened before the Big Bang?

2. Altfish

Altfish Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7,307
    Religion:
    Humanist
    Who is Quentin Smith?

3. napatunsaga

napatunsaga Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Islam
    religious philosopher.

4. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,480
    Religion:
    Love
    First, welcome to RF.

Why does Quentin Smith interest you? I had never heard of him before you started this thread.

5. napatunsaga

napatunsaga Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Islam
    he calls the universe finite.God says no.he says there are no parallel universes.

6. sun rise

sun rise "Let there be peace and love among all"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,480
    Religion:
    Love
    From what you wrote, there is nothing special about his beliefs.

And to me philosophers are those who speculate without evidence. If there's physical evidence such as whether or not the universe is finite or not, that's science and not the proper domain of philosophers.

As to whether God exists or the nature of divinity, it's a matter of faith or the lack of faith. I personally am not attracted to speculation by philosophers in this area so I can't answer your questions.

7. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,977
    Religion:
    Baha'i inspired liberal
    I could be wrong, but it is possible time began with the Big Bang, thus there may be no “before” the Big Bang.

However I suspect some of what we know of the early moments of the universe is just educated speculations, so I wouldn’t be too bothered by one person’s speculation on whether the multiverse exists or not as we possibly don’t know with any high degree of certainty what lay outside our own universe.

8. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,112
    Religion:
    None
    I tried using my mystical physic powers to read Quentin Smith's mind on these questions but all I got was his favourite ice cream flavour (chocolate FYI). :cool:

Seriously, how do you think posting on a random internet forum is going to reveal anything about the opinions of some random writer? Nobody here is going to have access to any more information about him than you do and, given that nobody here seems to have any idea who he even is, you probably already know more about the answers to your questions than anyone else here.

9. Eddi

Eddi Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +667
    Religion:
    Christian
    Sounds like someone's stuck on an assignment...

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Polymath257

Polymath257 Think & Care
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,589
    Religion:
    Non-theist
    Might I suggest you go to a library and read a couple of his books?

(from Wikipedia)

Published works
    • Epistemology: New Essays (Editor) Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2008. ISBN 0-19-926494-5
    • Einstein, Relativity and Absolute Simultaneity. (co-edited with William Lane Craig). New York: Routledge, 2007. ISBN 978-0-415-70174-7
    • Time, Tense and Reference (co-edited with A. Jokic, and contributing author). Cambridge MA: MIT Press, October 2003. ISBN 0-262-10098-3
    • Consciousness: New Philosophical Perspectives (co-edited with A. Jokic, and contributing author). Oxford: Oxford University Press, January 2003. ISBN 0-19-924129-5
    • Ethical and Religious Thought in Analytic Philosophy of Language. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1997. Pp. 264. ISBN 0-300-06212-5
    • Time, Change and Freedom. (co-authored with L. Nathan Oaklander). New York: Routledge, 1995, pp. 218. ISBN 0-415-10249-9
    • The New Theory of Time. (co-authored and co-edited with L. Nathan Oaklander). New Haven: Yale University Press, 1994. Pp. 378. ISBN 0-300-05796-2
    • Theism, Atheism and Big Bang Cosmology. (co-authored with William Lane Craig). Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1993. Pp. 357. ISBN 0-19-826383-X
    • Language and Time. First Edition. New York. Oxford University Press. 1993. pp. 259. ISBN 0-19-515594-7
    • The Felt Meanings of the World: A Metaphysics of Feeling. Purdue University Press :West Lafayette, 1986 (Paperback 2010). ISBN 0-911198-76-8

11. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,850
    Religion:
    None
    Welcome to RF

No one knows what happened before the BB. There are several hypothesis, several of which involve a multiverse

• Like Like x 1
  12. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,850
    Religion:
    None
    It could very well be finite. As far as i know there is no evidence to show otherwise.

Which god? And how do you know what a god says?

He could be right. Lack of evidence makes his claim moot

13. napatunsaga

napatunsaga Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Islam
    [QUOTE = "ChristineM, gönderi: 6553184, üye: 61711"] Sonlu olabilir. Bildiğim kadarıyla başka türlü gösterecek kanıt yok.

Hangi tanrı? Ve bir tanrının ne dediğini nasıl bilebilirsin?

Haklı olabilir. Kanıt eksikliği iddiasını tartışıyor [/ QUOTE]
    is it absolutely true what quentin Smith said?does he believe in multiverse?I can't believe what he's saying.

14. napatunsaga

napatunsaga Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Religion:
    Islam