• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Poll (Judgment Day)

Would You Change Your Mind On Judgement Day?

• Total voters

Earthling

David Henson
And there it is!

Once again you Christians don't even know your own mythology.

You always pick and choose, or had the "picking and choosing" done by some church leader, to pick out all the things you want to see, while ignoring all the "fine print" of things you don't want to see.

Well here, let me educate you on your own mythology:

1 Peter 1:17

King James Version (KJV)

17 And if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in fear:

Revelation 20:12-13

King James Version (KJV)

12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.

13 And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

I, uh . . . I don't know what to say. But, boy howdy I sure am glad I got you here to remind me of my own mythology. If, uh, if only you had been here when I wrote that. :rolleyes:

Earthling

David Henson
I don't favour a position because I don't see what difference it makes. If there's a God, there's a God, if there is no God there is no God, otherwise it's all the same.

That sounds like a spoiled child's response. If there is a God, the God of which we speak being Jehovah God of the Bible, that changes things quite a bit over the alternative, don't you think?

Live, the Universe and Everything? Ring a bell? Everlasting destruction or everlasting life?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
According to my understanding of the Bible, believers are judged in this life, so judgement day isn't for them. Judgement day is also not for the unbelievers because they are, like Christians, judged in this lifetime. Judgement day is a period of time when the unrighteous are resurrected in order to present them, having not been introduced to the good news of the kingdom, to then make an informed decision. But what if you, an unbeliever, was resurrected to judgement day and it was obvious that God did exist. Would you change your position?
No idea. The very question is just so risible. I refuse to waste time considering it.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
When you have so called righteous "Christians" go around abusing my loved ones for being gay or a sinner or whatever, I can't fathom why they think we want to spend an eternity with them. I would run straight into the arms of Satan himself if that were my choice laid out in front of me.
Spending an eternity with pious boring righteous "Christians" sounds far worse than every single interpretation of hell I have ever read.

(By the way I don't think all Christians are pious or even boring. But those are usually the sects that other Christians claim are also going to hell. So.)

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You wouldent first want to ask this God why he sees it different then you? Under this scenario from the OP, would not God, the maker of the entire universe be in a position to know something more then you?
I'm under no illusion that such a being could not be flawed, prejudicial or cruel. And if having sex with the member of the same sex is enough for punishment then it's not a being I want to hang out with.
Might doesn't make right. Age doesn't make wisdom. And power doesn't make purpose.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
According to my understanding of the Bible, believers are judged in this life, so judgement day isn't for them. Judgement day is also not for the unbelievers because they are, like Christians, judged in this lifetime. Judgement day is a period of time when the unrighteous are resurrected in order to present them, having not been introduced to the good news of the kingdom, to then make an informed decision. But what if you, an unbeliever, was resurrected to judgement day and it was obvious that God did exist. Would you change your position?

This is not correct.

Atheists in general, know a great deal of surface trivia about the Bible, since at least some of them started out as Jews or Christians then became disaffected (sure, there are also those that are convinced it's smarter or never liked religion to start). But they seldom understand some of the real stuff about the Bible.

Alright, you see this?

Chick.com: This Was Your Life

This is wrong. This man is an idiot.

Judgement day is not like this. There are three theories of how God's mercy is earned:
1. Good works: However, I reject this theory, along with most of Catholicism for the simple reason that this is basically little different from the Jewish Law, making essentially Jesus having died for nothing.
2. Faith: I don't like this one either, because it's too much like being part of the right club.
3. Grace: #3 is my belief of choice, as it says people aren't stuck picking the wrong thing and people aren't out trying to measure to an impossible standards (see The Good Place, where nobody got in in about 500 years), but there are two problems with it. Either everyone gets it, in which case you have to put up with ******** who rape and murder others or that you just don't like, or only the elect get saved (this seems to be a favorite of elitist snobs, I can't stomach it).

After researching the Bible, I've come up with a 3c of sorts.
3c. Grace is handed out, but recall that we have knowledge of good and evil. That is, Afterlife is like water in that whatever you put in changes the water. If you are a warped mass murderer who thinks his actions are just (say "I'm ridding the world of deplorable people"), you encounter a world with nobody to kill (because you wanted to be rid of them). It's sort of "be careful what you wish for" on crack. Likewise a person that has a lot of misdirected anger but is actually wanting to kill themselves. It doesn't end well for suicide bombers. On the other hand, emotionally healthy people in life generally get to choose their Afterlife. Real Atheists don't have judgement day. They just have their soul turned into energy for plants. Now, if you're a former Jew or Christian, odds are you get an Afterlife. But it's not God that does the judging, it's you. Jesus is pretty important, because if it were just us, many of us have already decided we're going to hell. That's perception (not reality).

lukethethird

unknown member
That sounds like a spoiled child's response. If there is a God, the God of which we speak being Jehovah God of the Bible, that changes things quite a bit over the alternative, don't you think?

Live, the Universe and Everything? Ring a bell? Everlasting destruction or everlasting life?
I live my life the way I do, God or no God, makes no difference to anything.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm under no illusion that such a being could not be flawed, prejudicial or cruel. And if having sex with the member of the same sex is enough for punishment then it's not a being I want to hang out with.
Might doesn't make right. Age doesn't make wisdom. And power doesn't make purpose.

We must also consider adolescents also rebel against what is best for them.

I see Humanity as a whole is slowly evolving from its adolescence.

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All totalitarians insist that their rules are for the best, too. I see surrendering moral value judgements to an argument from authority as more adolescent imo.

I have found, as one ages, the wisdom of a code of laws to guard against anarchy is to be cherished.

Regards Tony

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

An informed decision after being resurrected? Oh, well having been resureected is a hell of an information. Pun intended :)

Of course, I would change my position.

Ciao

- viole

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I have found, as one ages, the wisdom of a code of laws to guard against anarchy is to be cherished.

Regards Tony
I'm fine with a code of laws but the laws must be based on something more substantive than tradition. And the law does not justify itself. Laws can be unjust. And we all have the personal responsibility to reason out for ourselves what is right and wrong based on the consequences of our actions. Not based on the much easier but less conscientious temptation to let tradition stand for tradition's sake.

Salvador

RF's Swedenborgian
There's zero evidence anybody has regained consciousness after the ionic currents have stopped flowing across the neurons of his/her brain. Also, there's zero evidence of disembodied consciousness. If there is going to be this so-called Judgement Day, then why is there no reasonable evidence provided to anybody presently Earth-bound that this event is likely to happen?

Earthling

David Henson
I live my life the way I do, God or no God, makes no difference to anything.

that really wasn't the question. The question, put simply, was that if you were resurrected and lived for 1,000 years learning almost directly from God, knowing you had been resurrected by that God, and then you were given the opportunity to reject him and follow Satan, who opposes God, meaning you will be destroyed, would you?

lukethethird

unknown member
that really wasn't the question. The question, put simply, was that if you were resurrected and lived for 1,000 years learning almost directly from God, knowing you had been resurrected by that God, and then you were given the opportunity to reject him and follow Satan, who opposes God, meaning you will be destroyed, would you?
Not before telling God what I really think about Him.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Judgement day is a period of time when the unrighteous are resurrected in order to present them, having not been introduced to the good news of the kingdom, to then make an informed decision.
What does 'unrighteous' mean here? Who makes the team?
But what if you, an unbeliever, was resurrected to judgement day and it was obvious that God did exist. Would you change your position?
Not till the old rascal answered a LOT of questions ─ along the lines of, Why didn't you say? Why didn't you do?

And, You created sexuality ─ what's with the homophobia?

And your divorce from Asherah, what's the story?

And was there really an historical Jesus? Really? How was the Y-chromosome bit done?

Last edited:

Altfish

Veteran Member
The Hebrew and Greek words translated as righteousness convey the thought of "uprightness," "rectitude," and is also translated "justice." Are you not righteous? In the Mosaic Law, for example, at Leviticus 19:36 the Hebrew word is used four times in connection with business transactions. Having an accurate, or "just" scale, weights, measurements. Are you not righteous?
To me righteous means everything I dislike.
It certainly means 'holy' but it also conveys a person who is a little too sure about their convictions.
I wouldn't expect to encounter a righteous person in a sweaty night club or at a punk rock gig.

I would not call myself righteous

Altfish

Veteran Member
Atheists have this independent sort of perspective that presents God as a childish narcissistic ego maniac who gets something out of people worshiping him. It's not for his benefit.
So God doesn't mind if you don't pray to him? God doesn't mind if you are gay, work on the sabbath, etc.