• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Plans Lawsuit Challenging Motto on U.S. Currency

Faint

This is similar to the current thread about crossing out the "God" part of "In God We Trust"...

http://www.kcbs.com/pages/kcbs/news/news_story.nsp?story_id=85369425&ID=kcbs&scategory=Computers

Do you think we should should get rid of this motto? I do. Two reasons:

1) As a nation, we are divided in our religious views, and clearly not all of us trust in God. This motto does not accurately represent the citizens.

2) There is no reason to keep this motto on currency currently in circulation in order to honor the country's religious roots (which I don't believe needs to be honored anyway). This type of nostalgia belongs in history books. Otherwise, why not add new slogans to Federal Reserve Notes like "Slaves helped us build the country" or "Glad all those natives got slaughtered when we moved in". Why do we need to be reminded of a less enlightened past?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It impresses me as an unnecessary and therefore unwarranted assault on the religious sensibilities of the majority of Americans.

Well we have a little something in this country called the separation of church (religion) and state (government), so any mention of God on money is a violation of that.

nutshell

Separation of church and state is concerned with the state organizing a state religion (like the Church of England). "In God we trust" is a traditional motto and does nothing to establish a state religion -- leave it alone.

standing_alone

I would like to see the whole "In God We Trust" and "One Nation Under God" removed from currency and the pledge, respectivily. In a secular nation, as ours is supposed to be, I believe that any kind of acknowledgement of religion should be kept out of nonfaith institutions. Leave it for religious institutions. Since I don't trust in God, nor do I believe our nation is "under god" - secular society - and I'm definately far from the only one who feels this way, I think it's only right and constitutional (that ever infamous establishment clause) to remove such acknowledgements of religion from our state institutions, no matter how much tradition is involved in it. Just because it is traditional doesn't make it right.

Faint

Xians2theLIONS said:
Just because it is traditional doesn't make it right.
Very true. Racism is also traditional, and yet as a nation we have been proactive about removing or revising racist mascots in various sports teams. A move like this is guaranteed to offend some people, certainly a great deal of religious types as Deut 10:19 seems to suggest. Too bad. I think it's for the greater good--a more secular government.

Pah

Uber all member
It's not just the currency. The motto appears in schools, courts, and other Government buildings

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
Well, I´m sure those in favour of keeping it there are also in favour of listing every other G-d and G-dess on the currency. : )

Fair´s fair, and I would love to see the Flying Spaghetti Monster on my money.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
jamaesi said:
Fair´s fair, and I would love to see the Flying Spaghetti Monster on my money.
We can replace all the portraits of politicians with pictures of meatballs.

Reactions: s2a

jonny

Xians2theLIONS said:
I would like to see the whole "In God We Trust" and "One Nation Under God" removed from currency and the pledge, respectivily.
I'd like to see all the athiests move to Canada where they would be much happier and leave us religious folk alone, but we don't all get what we want. :)

Ormiston

jonny said:
I'd like to see all the athiests move to Canada where they would be much happier and leave us religious folk alone, but we don't all get what we want. :)
Come on now...how could all you religious folk get along without all us heathens to try and save? :)

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
jonny said:
The US isn't made just for 'religious folk.'

It needs to go, IMO.

jonny

Jensa said:
The US isn't made just for 'religious folk.'

It needs to go, IMO.
Fine then. Can we at least split the red states and blue states up into separate countries? We're not all that united after all.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
So should we redraw country lines and split into new countries every time there's a disagreement in any country? That wouldn't be very practical... you'd end up with thousands of countries.

jonny

Jensa said:
So should we redraw country lines and split into new countries every time there's a disagreement in any country? That wouldn't be very practical... you'd end up with thousands of countries.
I imagine something that looks like Europe. :)

There are things that people don't like. Some of them are important - others are not. I find the things referenced in this lawsuit belong in the latter category which could also be called the "get over it" category.

There are much more important problems where time could be better spent in the court - actual civil rights problems.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Jensa said:
Very true. What to do.

~Victor

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I agree that there are better things to take to court, but it is something that needs to be addressed.

Would you feel differently if it said something like in Thor/Goddess/Allah we trust? Maybe then I could suggest you move to Canada and leave us Asatru/Wiccans/Muslims alone? ;)

jonny

Jensa said:
I agree that there are better things to take to court, but it is something that needs to be addressed.

Would you feel differently if it said something like in Thor/Goddess/Allah we trust?
Yes, because that would actually be establishing a specific state religion. God is a general term and means something different to everyone. I don't think it shows anything more than an admission by the country that there is something greater than us. What that is can be interpreted by everyone however they want. To me it means Heavenly Father. To someone else it might mean science and nature. If it makes people feel good they could even pretend that the UN is god.

Jensa said:
Maybe then I could suggest you move to Canada and leave us Asatru/Wiccans/Muslims alone? ;)
Could the Mormons at least keep Utah?
smile.gif