1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Atheist looking for religious debate. Any religion. Let's see if I can be convinced.

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by infrabenji, Jul 15, 2021.

1. CG Didymus

CG Didymus Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +4,126
    Religion:
    undecided
    For one thing... As if the story really happened. Why would God ask anyone to kill his son? Better find a nicer God to believe in. Next, who and when did the Bible story get changed? Suddenly, all the Scribes started writing the wrong story? And no one noticed? Even if it was an oral tradition. All the people started telling the wrong story and had Isaac being the one? Then who is more important to the Jews? Ishmael or Isaac? The main part of the Jewish story continues through Isaac. And the NT supports it being Isaac...
    Hebrews 11:17
    By faith, Abraham, being tested, offered up Isaac. Yes, he who had gladly received the promises was offering up his one and only son;
    James 2:21
    Wasn't Abraham our father justified by works, in that he offered up Isaac his son on the altar?​
    So a contradiction or both the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament are wrong?

2. Truthseeker

Truthseeker Non-debating member when I can help myself

Ratings:
    +2,145
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Is that all you want to pick on?:p

The Qur’án consists of over six thousand verses and was revealed by Muḥammad in 23 years. The speed of the revelation of the words of Bahá’u’lláh was about one thousand verses in an hour! For example, the Kitáb-i-Íqán (Book of Certitude), one of the most important of Bahá’u’lláh's works, was revealed in the course of two days and two nights.
    Adib Taherzadeh, "The Child of the Covenant"

Of course just Adib Taherzadeh saying this doesn't make it verifiable. I'm not saying that. But investigate further various accounts from followers of Baha'u'llah how rapidly Baha'u'llah revealed His verses. You can find them in The Revelation of Baha'u'llah by Adib Taherzadeh volumes 1, 2 3, and 4. Adib Taherzadeh's father knew Baha'u'llah himself, and He got some of his information from his father. There are also written sources he drew from.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CG Didymus

Ratings:
    +4,126
    Religion:
    undecided
    I think these fit perfect. But besides, reconcile was your word. I would have used something like... Baha'i take contradictions in the other religions and change them up to get them to better fit with what Baha'is believe.

Then why do Baha'is tell Hindus that Krishna is not an incarnation but a manifestation and that reincarnation, as they define it is not true? Why say that Buddha "originally" taught about God? Why tell Jews about Ishmael instead of Isaac was taken to be sacrificed? Why tell Christians that Jesus did not rise from the dead and is not coming back? By doing all that, those religions end up fitting much better into the Baha'i scheme of things.

And, although I like the idea of reincarnation, it doesn't mean I believe it. I'm perfectly fine if it all ends up that they were all wrong. But I'm not going around saying how they changed things, made up things, misinterpreted thing or whatever, to get them to fit my beliefs. Baha'is do. And again, I don't believe the Baha'i Faith is correct in what they are saying, but maybe they are.

4. firedragon

firedragon Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +5,199
    Religion:
    Islam
    You know that its not good enough. Adibs father supposedly knowing Bahaullah is all hearsay. And anyway none of that can verify anything.

5. CG Didymus

Ratings:
    +4,126
    Religion:
    undecided
    It's strange that for this there is evidence? But I guess the way it is being presented, it is evidence that Baha'u'llah is a manifestation? Still, Joseph Smith and his special spectacles and the golden plates? Made up total fiction or the God's honest truth? If fiction, then some great religious movements are based on things that aren't true. Yet, LDS has lots of members and a lot of them are very nice people. So by their fruits shall you know that their religion is true? Or by what they believe? Even if it sounds pretty fishy?

6. Truthseeker

Ratings:
    +2,145
    Religion:
    Baha'i

7. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +10,212
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Scholars are in agreement that Moses did not write anything that is in the OT. Most Jews do not believe Moses wrote the Torah or that God wrote the 10 commandments.

Nobody will ever know what happened 3500 years ago, but why does it matter?

8. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +10,212
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Writers can make any story sound real, but that does not mean it really happened.

Baha'is do not MAKE it that way, just because Abdu'l-Baha wrote about one possible meaning of the resurrection.
    It does not matter if it is symbolic or not, it only matters if it literally happened or not. If you do not believe Jesus rose from the dead why does it matter so much to you what Abdu'l-Baha said?

Jesus is dead and gone and not coming back, that is clear from the verses where Jesus says He is not coming back and that His work is finished here.

9. TransmutingSoul

TransmutingSoul Veteran Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,777
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Have a worldwide community worshipping God, who uses to be divided across many Faiths, races nations and gender. That have embraced that message and changed their lives to embrace the Oneness of Humanity, the Oneness of God and the Oneness of all Messengers.

The same potential many saw eminate from within Baha'u'llah, the Glory of God.

Who else can achieve that?

Regards Tony

#1769 TransmutingSoul, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +10,212
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    It is a Christian thing and a Jesus thing. I don't know if all the Manifestations had the power and authority to forgive sins, but God has that power. @Truthseeker9 would probably know, he knows a lot more than me. (Sorry Duane. ;))

11. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +10,212
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Shoot, now why didn't I think of that? ;) Thanks for showing up. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +10,212
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    But as I recall the story, God never planned for that killing to be carried out.

13. Trailblazer

Ratings:
    +10,212
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    You make it sound like a conspiracy, as if Baha'is need those religions to fit what we believe. We don't need that, we just explain what we believe they originally taught. What are we supposed to do, lie and say we agree they taught what others believe they taught?

#1773 Trailblazer, Sep 4, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Truthseeker

Ratings:
    +2,145
    Religion:
    Baha'i
    Too bad then. You're out of luck.:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tiberius

Tiberius Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Writing things quickly still doesn't prove that Mr B was sent by God.

In any case, your claim is incorrect. Mr B wrote about 20,000 works, with a total word count of about 7 million words, according to THIS site. However, according to THIS list of Stephen King's works and their word counts, he has written over 11 million words.

Also, the site I linked to regarding the works by Mr B show that he did not actually WRITE them all himself. He dictated many of them and they were recorded by an assistant in shorthand. Given that this shorthand could then be written out fully, perhaps with several people working at once on different sections, then that could inflate the word count unfairly.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tiberius

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    If they have different meanings to different people, then I don't see how they could be describing the real world. The real world is not different to different people.

17. Tiberius

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Totally irrelevant. You are concluding there is a connection because they have the same word? That's like concluding that Star Trek is a sequel to Star Wars because they both have the word Star in the title.

18. Tiberius

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Oh come on, there's no way that could be anything but completely legitimate. ;)

19. Tiberius

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Why would Harry Potter be fictional just because fictional stories were written about him?

I've just shown that you can't disprove Harry Potter.

20. Tiberius

Ratings:
    +1,641
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Lots of religions have done that.