• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist looking for religious debate. Any religion. Let's see if I can be convinced.

Tiberius

The quote is a reference to the Manifestations of God which are the only evidence that God exists. The quote was not Baha'u'llah claiming to be a Manifestation of God. Baha'u'llah was a Manifestation of God and He claimed that in other passages.

Irrelevant. It's still using the claims of the person to show that his claims are true. It's like when Christians cite Bible verses to prove the Bible is true, or when comic book fans cite a Batman comic to show that Batman is real.

How is it evidence? For those who believe that the Bible is valid, it is evidence that Baha'u'llah was the return of Christ and the Messiah since the biblical prophecies were fulfilled by His coming. Whether you recognize the fulfillment or not is a moot point. It was clearly proven in the book entitled Thief in the Night by William Sears.

Another unsupported claim. You are just declaring yourself to be correct.

I never claimed to know for a fact. You are mistaking a strong belief for a fact. It is my belief which in my opinion is true. I know it is true but not as a fact. A religious belief can never be proven as a fact.

fact
something that is known to have happened or to exist, especially something for which proof exists, or about which there is information:
fact

In post 1206, you said:

"I am not going to play word games with you. I have told you before that I know. Just became you cannot understand how I know that does not mean I don't know. There is more than one way we can know that something is true.​

Definition of know

1a(1): to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2): to have understanding of importance of knowing oneself(3): to recognize the nature of : discernb(1): to recognize as being the same as something previously known(2): to be acquainted or familiar with (3): to have experience of​

2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of b: to have a practical understanding of knows how to write"

You directly stated that you KNOW, and that suggests that you believe that what you know is a fact. After all, if you did not think it was factual, how could you claim to KNOW it? Additionally, your own provided definition for "know" includes, "to be aware of the truth or factuality of."

So, yeah, it sure seems to me that you are viewing it as a fact.

That fact that I accepted the claims of Baha'u'llah gave me a *reason* to believe in God, since He is the evidence that God exists. No bias was involved because I was not comparing belief in God with atheism and unfairly choosing belief. I chose belief because of the evidence.

bias
prejudice in favor of or against one thing, person, or group compared with another, usually in a way considered to be unfair.
bias means - Google Search

The fact that it gave you a reason to believe it IS how it gave you the bias towards believing.

And it will never be convincing to atheists until they die and find out they are not dead.

Unsupported claim. You have precisely ZERO actual evidence to show that there is any kind of life after death. You just have your opinion.

I do not claim to know but I believe I know. Nobody can tell me what I can know, only I know what I can know, and God knows because God is all-knowing). Again, it is not a fact just because I know as thee are other ways of knowing that are not factual.

Definition of know

1a(1): to perceive directly : have direct cognition of (2): to have understanding of importance of knowing oneself (3): to recognize the nature of : discern

b(1): to recognize as being the same as something previously known(2): to be acquainted or familiar with (3): to have experience of

2a: to be aware of the truth or factuality of : be convinced or certain of

b: to have a practical understanding of knows how to write

Definition of KNOW

Here we go, once again you're trying to say that you aren't claiming, you're just saying. I don't buy that loophole.

I never said that we accept the scientific theories regarding how the universe came into existence.

Some of the things you've said regarding science...

"Baha'is do not invent another explanation for physical reality." Post 3966.

"Science is the best tool we have to uncover facts about the world..." Post 971.

"I do not ignore science" Post 3771.

"I know the the truth about the physical world is real because I can see it and experience it and it is confirmed to be real by science." Post 2713.

"Baha'is believe science and religion go hand and hand..." Post 2356.

"The Baha'i Faith ... promotes science so in that sense it is more acceptable to a rational thinker." Post 3239.​

So it sounds like you just accept what science says until it becomes inconvenient for you, then you toss it away. Never seen believers do that before! :rolleyes:

Can science prove that creation has not always existed, that it came into being at a specific point in time?

You've never heard of the Big Bang, I take it?

I never said there is no evidence, myriad times I have said there is evidence although there is no proof. What I have is texts and a belief that the claims in those texts are true.

You have claims, not evidence. By your logic, I've provided evidence that I can turn into an eagle.

I said in post #3971: Since the Messengers are the proof that God exists...
It is true that anyone can make claims and claims are not evidence of anything. The evidence is what the Messengers do to back up their claims. As Jesus said:

Matthew 7:15-20 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves. Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

Does the Public Universal Friend fit into this?

Fruits: the pleasant or successful result of work or actions: fruit

I think everyone here knows what you mean by "fruit" in this context. It's rather condescending for you to provide definitions.

condescension

We have already been over this. There is no evidence that is testable the way you want it to be testable.

Then it's unsupportable claims, not evidence. Like I said, by this logic, I've provided evidence that I can turn into an eagle.

However, we can test the Prophets. <<snip>>

Again with the prophecies. Why do you keep coming back to it when I have made it clear that I don't consider it valid?

You have no idea how many posts I get in a day. I do not always have time to go back and look at everything that was said before, so from now on I won't ask, I will just delete that part of the post.

Not my problem if you can't keep up.

Baha'u'llah.

So what? His writings and views means nothing until you can show that he is the return of the spirit of Christ or whatever you say he was, and you've been unable to come anywhere close to doing that without relying on his writings and views. That's circular logic at its most basic.

I said in post #3971: That's correct reasoning, and conversely, having people who believe that the Baha'i Faith is true is something we could have if the Baha'i Faith was true. However, how many people believe it is true or false has no bearing on whether it is true or false since beliefs do not determine reality.

Where do you see me suggesting that you committed the fallacy? I am a very direct person so if I thought you had committed it I would have said so.

As I said, the very fact that you even brought it up is what makes the suggestion.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Irrelevant. It's still using the claims of the person to show that his claims are true. It's like when Christians cite Bible verses to prove the Bible is true, or when comic book fans cite a Batman comic to show that Batman is real.
No, absolutely not. There is no claim in that quote and I was not using the quote to show that Baha'u'llah's claims are true.
It is not unsupported claim since it was clearly supported in the book entitled Thief in the Night by William Sears.
It is not about ME being correct, it is about the information contained in that book being correct.
In post 1206, you said:

You directly stated that you KNOW, and that suggests that you believe that what you know is a fact. After all, if you did not think it was factual, how could you claim to KNOW it? Additionally, your own provided definition for "know" includes, "to be aware of the truth or factuality of."

So, yeah, it sure seems to me that you are viewing it as a fact.
I directly stated that I KNOW, but that does not mean that I believe that what I know is factual. However, it does mean that I believe that what I know is true. Some truths are not provable and as such they cannot be considered facts. "to be aware of the truth or factuality of." I am aware of the truth of my beliefs, but I cannot say they are facts because I cannot prove that my beliefs are true (to anyone except myself). My beliefs are a fact to me, but not a fact to everyone they have not been proven to everyone.

fact
something that is known to have happened or to exist, especially something for which proof exists, or about which there is information:
fact
The fact that it gave you a reason to believe it IS how it gave you the bias towards believing.
That is patently absurd. Of course I needed a reason to believe but that has nothing to do with having a bias.
Unsupported claim. You have precisely ZERO actual evidence to show that there is any kind of life after death. You just have your opinion.
I have my beliefs and they are supported by evidence. The evidence that there is an afterlife is what Baha'u'llah wrote about the afterlife. Nobody can ever know the nature of the afterlife and Baha'u'llah explained why it was not revealed to us.

“Know thou that every hearing ear, if kept pure and undefiled, must, at all times and from every direction, hearken to the voice that uttereth these holy words: “Verily, we are God’s, and to Him shall we return.” The mysteries of man’s physical death and of his return have not been divulged, and still remain unread. By the righteousness of God! Were they to be revealed, they would evoke such fear and sorrow that some would perish, while others would be so filled with gladness as to wish for death, and beseech, with unceasing longing, the one true God—exalted be His glory—to hasten their end.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 345

“Death proffereth unto every confident believer the cup that is life indeed. It bestoweth joy, and is the bearer of gladness. It conferreth the gift of everlasting life.

As to those that have tasted of the fruit of man’s earthly existence, which is the recognition of the one 346 true God, exalted be His glory, their life hereafter is such as We are unable to describe. The knowledge thereof is with God, alone, the Lord of all worlds.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 345-346
Here we go, once again you're trying to say that you aren't claiming, you're just saying. I don't buy that loophole.
I do not care what you buy. I do not claim things, I say things, because I am not trying to prove anything to anyone.
Some of the things you've said regarding science...

So it sounds like you just accept what science says until it becomes inconvenient for you, then you toss it away. Never seen believers do that before! :rolleyes:
I never said that Baha'is accept the scientific theories regarding how the universe came into existence.
It has nothing to do with inconvenience. It has to do with believing that whatever Baha'u'llah wrote is true since I believe He was infallible. There is no way that science can disprove what Baha'u'llah wrote, that creation has always existed. How do you think that science could ever prove that? And of course we have to define what we mean by creation as it can refer to more than the universe that is in existence today.
You've never heard of the Big Bang, I take it?
Of course I have heard of it, but please not that it is a theory, not a proven fact.

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing cosmological model explaining the existence of the observable universe from the earliest known periods through its subsequent large-scale evolution. Wikipedia
You have claims, not evidence. By your logic, I've provided evidence that I can turn into an eagle.
I make no claims, I only present evidence for the claims of Baha'u'llah.
Are you asking if he was a true Prophet of God? No, I don't believe that.
I think everyone here knows what you mean by "fruit" in this context. It's rather condescending for you to provide definitions.

condescension
There is nothing condescending about it, and besides, it is in my Word document so it was an easy copy/paste and there was no reason for me to omit it just because you have false pride.
Then it's unsupportable claims, not evidence. Like I said, by this logic, I've provided evidence that I can turn into an eagle.
It is evidence by the definitions of evidence. All evidence is not testable just because you want it to be testable and everyone knows that except you and some of your atheist sidekicks, but you only make yourselves look foolish when you claim that all evidence is testable. That is absolutely false.

15 Types of Evidence and How to Use Them
Again with the prophecies. Why do you keep coming back to it when I have made it clear that I don't consider it valid?
You did not even read that. It was not referring to any Bible prophecies that He fulfilled.

Again....

"In the chapters that follow, we shall endeavor to show whether Bahá’u’lláh’s claim to Prophethood stands or falls by application of these tests: whether the things that He had spoken have followed and come to pass, and whether His fruits have been good or evil; in other words, whether His prophecies are being fulfilled and His ordinances established, and whether His lifework has contributed to the education and upliftment of humanity and the betterment of morals, or the contrary.”
Proofs of Prophethood, Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, pp. 8-9

Not my problem if you can't keep up.
It is not my problem either because I am under no obligation to even respond at all, let alone rummaging through old posts. I am here for the entertainment more than anything else, and entertainment is optional.
So what? His writings and views means nothing until you can show that he is the return of the spirit of Christ or whatever you say he was, and you've been unable to come anywhere close to doing that without relying on his writings and views. That's circular logic at its most basic.
When are you atheists going to figure out that it is not my job to SHOW you anything? Rather, it is your job to do your own research if you want to know the truth about Baha'u'llah. This is rather pathetic to say the least and it shows that you really don't care about knowing the truth. This is just a game to prove you are right and I am wrong.

This is not my first rodeo, I have been posting to atheists day and night on several forums for nine years so I know the drill. They claim I have the burden of proof just because I believe something is true, but nothing could be more illogical. I only have the burden of proof if I am trying to prove something to you and I am under no obligation to try to prove anything to you because Baha'u'llah did not give me that job to do. My only job is to share the message of Baha'u'llah if it comes up in conversation and/or if people ask me questions. I am under no obligation to prove anything to anyone.
As I said, the very fact that you even brought it up is what makes the suggestion.
You cannot read my mind so I suggest you stop trying. I stated my position so I expect to be believed although I realize that is overly optimistic that you would be able to believe what I say instead of speaking for me as if you know my thoughts and intentions.

Tiberius

No, absolutely not. There is no claim in that quote and I was not using the quote to show that Baha'u'llah's claims are true.

It's a claim that "He Who is everlastingly hidden from the eyes of men can never be known except through His Manifestation, and His Manifestation can adduce no greater proof of the truth of His Mission than the proof of His own Person."

It is not unsupported claim since it was clearly supported in the book entitled Thief in the Night by William Sears.
It is not about ME being correct, it is about the information contained in that book being correct.

I haven't read that book, and I'm not going to take your word for it that it is correct since you are not unbiased.

I directly stated that I KNOW, but that does not mean that I believe that what I know is factual. However, it does mean that I believe that what I know is true. Some truths are not provable and as such they cannot be considered facts. "to be aware of the truth or factuality of." I am aware of the truth of my beliefs, but I cannot say they are facts because I cannot prove that my beliefs are true (to anyone except myself). My beliefs are a fact to me, but not a fact to everyone they have not been proven to everyone.

fact
fact

And your own definition says that a fact is something that is KNOWN.

If you say it may not be a fact, then you can't KNOW it.

That is patently absurd. Of course I needed a reason to believe but that has nothing to do with having a bias.

The fact that you accepted the claims made biased you towards believing in God, since "God exists" is one of the claims made.

You can't get around that.

I have my beliefs and they are supported by evidence. The evidence that there is an afterlife is what Baha'u'llah wrote about the afterlife. Nobody can ever know the nature of the afterlife and Baha'u'llah explained why it was not revealed to us.

So what? I've provided evidence just as valid as yours that I can turn into an eagle.

I do not care what you buy. I do not claim things, I say things, because I am not trying to prove anything to anyone.

Making a claim doesn't require that you are trying to prove something to somebody.

If you present a viewpoint and say, "This viewpoint is correct," then you are making a claim.

I never said that Baha'is accept the scientific theories regarding how the universe came into existence.
It has nothing to do with inconvenience. It has to do with believing that whatever Baha'u'llah wrote is true since I believe He was infallible. There is no way that science can disprove what Baha'u'llah wrote, that creation has always existed. How do you think that science could ever prove that? And of course we have to define what we mean by creation as it can refer to more than the universe that is in existence today.

Then you don't care about science at all. If you accept or reject science based on whether it fits into your religious beliefs, don't pretend that it's for any reason other than convenience.

Of course I have heard of it, but please not that it is a theory, not a proven fact.

You apparently don't understand what theory means in science.

THIS website is about evolution, not the big bang, but it neatly explains what a theory actually is. Please read it, and then understand why you are mistaken in saying the Big Bang is a theory, not a fact.

I make no claims, I only present evidence for the claims of Baha'u'llah.

You do make claims, but that's not what I meant.

What you present as "evidence" is just the record of someone else making the claim. It's like if I was to present the post where I said I could turn into an eagle as evidence that I can turn into an eagle.

Are you asking if he was a true Prophet of God? No, I don't believe that.

Given that you referred to the Friend by the wrong pronoun, I don't think you even read the link. I don't see how you can think you are in any way knowledgeable enough about the topic to say anything about it.

Ah, but of course, this is just another example of you deciding that it must be wrong simply because it doesn't fit into the worldview that you've already decided is true.

There is nothing condescending about it, and besides, it is in my Word document so it was an easy copy/paste and there was no reason for me to omit it just because you have false pride.

Yes it is condescending. It shows that you think I do not know what it means.

It is evidence by the definitions of evidence. All evidence is not testable just because you want it to be testable and everyone knows that except you and some of your atheist sidekicks, but you only make yourselves look foolish when you claim that all evidence is testable. That is absolutely false.

15 Types of Evidence and How to Use Them

Yeah, you've posted that link before and I've already shown how it is rubbish.

You did not even read that. It was not referring to any Bible prophecies that He fulfilled.

Again....

"In the chapters that follow, we shall endeavor to show whether Bahá’u’lláh’s claim to Prophethood stands or falls by application of these tests: whether the things that He had spoken have followed and come to pass, and whether His fruits have been good or evil; in other words, whether His prophecies are being fulfilled and His ordinances established, and whether His lifework has contributed to the education and upliftment of humanity and the betterment of morals, or the contrary.”
Proofs of Prophethood, Bahá’u’lláh and the New Era, pp. 8-9

I never said it was a Biblical prophecy, did I? You have committed the strawman fallacy.

It is not my problem either because I am under no obligation to even respond at all, let alone rummaging through old posts. I am here for the entertainment more than anything else, and entertainment is optional.

If you choose to respond, then you are making it your problem, since you have no right to expect anyone else to do your homework for you.

When are you atheists going to figure out that it is not my job to SHOW you anything? Rather, it is your job to do your own research if you want to know the truth about Baha'u'llah. This is rather pathetic to say the least and it shows that you really don't care about knowing the truth. This is just a game to prove you are right and I am wrong.

This is not my first rodeo, I have been posting to atheists day and night on several forums for nine years so I know the drill. They claim I have the burden of proof just because I believe something is true, but nothing could be more illogical. I only have the burden of proof if I am trying to prove something to you and I am under no obligation to try to prove anything to you because Baha'u'llah did not give me that job to do. My only job is to share the message of Baha'u'llah if it comes up in conversation and/or if people ask me questions. I am under no obligation to prove anything to anyone.

It is your burden of proof. If you present something as being true, then you must back it up. Otherwise, people will say you have nothing but fairytales.

You cannot read my mind so I suggest you stop trying. I stated my position so I expect to be believed although I realize that is overly optimistic that you would be able to believe what I say instead of speaking for me as if you know my thoughts and intentions.

I will believe your position when you present valid testable evidence to back it up.

Simply stating your position is nowhere near enough to make it convincing. And it's very arrogant of you to think otherwise.

samtonga43

You expect us to believe what you say?
Are you serious?
If you are, please tell us WHY we should believe what you say.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I either push it or I don't push it, it is not about what I think, it is about what I actually do.

I am sorry you cannot tell the difference between someone who just responds to posts and answers questions from someone who is pushing their religion as some people do. A dead giveaway is when I say I do not have the burden of proof to prove my religion is true, over and over and over and over again. If I was pushing the Baha'i Faith I would try to prove it is true, but I don't. I only respond to posts. There is plenty I could do to try to prove it is true but I know that is not possible and it is not my responsibility so I don't even try.

“It follows, therefore, that every man hath been, and will continue to be, able of himself to appreciate the Beauty of God, the Glorified. Had he not been endowed with such a capacity, how could he be called to account for his failure? If, in the Day when all the peoples of the earth will be gathered together, any man should, whilst standing in the presence of God, be asked: “Wherefore hast thou disbelieved in My Beauty and turned away from My Self,” and if such a man should reply and say: “Inasmuch as all men have erred, and none hath been found willing to turn his face to the Truth, I, too, following their example, have grievously failed to recognize the Beauty of the Eternal,” such a plea will, assuredly, be rejected. For the faith of no man can be conditioned by any one except himself.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 143
Like I said, whether you think you are or not, everything about the things you post are promoting the Baha'i as the truth for today. Why you think that's bad, I don't understand.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I believe they are evidence but not the best evidence since people can and do say that Baha'u'llah did not fulfill them even though he clearly did.
And why are they the best evidence? Because they are not clearly fulfilled.

Let's not get into this again. You can't just say something is "clearly" evidence if you don't specify HOW it is evidence. You'll find unsupported claims carry little weight, and your attempts before to show that Biblical prophecies count for anything failed completely, at least as far as I am concerned.
Every one of the prophecies that I know of, from any religion, all have issues.

How is it evidence? For those who believe that the Bible is valid, it is evidence that Baha'u'llah was the return of Christ and the Messiah since the biblical prophecies were fulfilled by His coming. Whether you recognize the fulfillment or not is a moot point. It was clearly proven in the book entitled Thief in the Night by William Sears.
Proven? Like the earthquake in Portugal and the smoky, dark day and meteor shower in North America, that all happened years before 1844, fulfilled Bible prophecies? Then there's the KJV fulfillment of "He" will come to you from Assyria. And you read it for yourself that none of the other translations worded it like the KJV. That fulfilled %&*# is still not sticking to the wall.

"Clearly proven"? I used to think Baha'is were much more sensible and reasonable than born-again Christians. But no, same kind of stuff, just different beliefs.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
I never claimed to know for a fact. You are mistaking a strong belief for a fact. It is my belief which in my opinion is true. I know it is true but not as a fact. A religious belief can never be proven as a fact.
So, in your opinion the Baha'i Faith true? Because you have proven it to yourself by examining the evidence? But, you don't know it for a fact? Because religious belief can never be proven as a fact? So you could be wrong? So what exactly did you prove to yourself? And, were there any things you could call "facts" that you looked at?

Why not just say that the Baha'i religion sounds good, so you took it on "faith" that it was true but it might not be?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You expect us to believe what you say?
Are you serious?
If you are, please tell us WHY we should believe what you say.
Do you know the CONTEXT? Tiberius thought I was suggesting that he committed the ad populum fallacy...

Tb said: Where do you see me suggesting that you committed the fallacy? I am a very direct person so if I thought you had committed it I would have said so.

Tiberius said: As I said, the very fact that you even brought it up is what makes the suggestion.

Tb said: You cannot read my mind so I suggest you stop trying. I stated my position so I expect to be believed although I realize that is overly optimistic that you would be able to believe what I say instead of speaking for me as if you know my thoughts and intentions.

I was not referring to my religious beliefs. I was referring to my thoughts and intentions. I do expect people to believe what I say with regard to my thoughts and intentions because I am the only person who knows my thoughts and intentions, so when I say what I was thinking or intending I expect to be believed. I would never assume I know what another person is thinking or intending and I certainly would not insist I know, especially after that person told me that was not what they were thinking or suggesting.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Do you know the CONTEXT? Tiberius thought I was suggesting that he committed the ad populum fallacy...

Tb said: Where do you see me suggesting that you committed the fallacy? I am a very direct person so if I thought you had committed it I would have said so.

Tiberius said: As I said, the very fact that you even brought it up is what makes the suggestion.

Tb said: You cannot read my mind so I suggest you stop trying. I stated my position so I expect to be believed although I realize that is overly optimistic that you would be able to believe what I say instead of speaking for me as if you know my thoughts and intentions.

I was not referring to my religious beliefs. I was referring to my thoughts and intentions. I do expect people to believe what I say with regard to my thoughts and intentions because I am the only person who knows my thoughts and intentions, so when I say what I was thinking or intending I expect to be believed. I would never assume I know what another person is thinking or intending and I certainly would not insist I know, especially after that person told me that was not what they were thinking or suggesting.
You are misusing logical fallacies again. It is not an "ad populum fallacy" to observe that many people have pointed out that you make the same mistakes over and over again. You see, people do not just believe that, they know that. There is a difference. The ad populum fallacy is based upon people's beliefs, not people's knowledge.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Like I said, whether you think you are or not, everything about the things you post are promoting the Baha'i as the truth for today. Why you think that's bad, I don't understand.
I say that I believe that the Baha'i Faith is the truth from God for this age. That is not pushing it and it is not even promoting it just because I say that within the context of a discussion or a debate.

As a Baha'i, what am I supposed to say, that I believe the Baha'i Faith is a false religion? That would be a lie.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
You are misusing logical fallacies again. It is not an "ad populum fallacy" to observe that many people have pointed out that you make the same mistakes over and over again. You see, people do not just believe that, they know that. There is a difference. The ad populum fallacy is based upon people's beliefs, not people's knowledge.
Do you know what @Tiberius and I were discussing? It had nothing to do with how many people have pointed out that I make mistakes. I was talking about my beliefs.

Trailblazer said: I said in post #3971: That's correct reasoning, and conversely, having people who believe that the Baha'i Faith is true is something we could have if the Baha'i Faith was true. However, how many people believe it is true or false has no bearing on whether it is true or false since beliefs do not determine reality.

Where do you see me suggesting that you committed the fallacy? I am a very direct person so if I thought you had committed it I would have said so.

#3980 Trailblazer, Yesterday at 5:00 PM

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Do you know what @Tiberius and I were discussing? It had nothing to do with how many people have pointed out that I make mistakes. I was talking about my beliefs.

Trailblazer said: I said in post #3971: That's correct reasoning, and conversely, having people who believe that the Baha'i Faith is true is something we could have if the Baha'i Faith was true. However, how many people believe it is true or false has no bearing on whether it is true or false since beliefs do not determine reality.

#3980 Trailblazer, Yesterday at 5:00 PM
For once you may be right. You have been wrong so often on logical fallacies that I may have made an incorrect assumption.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
many people have pointed out that you make the same mistakes over and over again. You see, people do not just believe that, they know that. There is a difference. The ad populum fallacy is based upon people's beliefs, not people's knowledge.
They know that I make the same mistakes over and over again? No, they don't know that, they just arrogantly assert that. It is nothing more than a personal opinion, a bald assertion.

What is "bald assertion?" Well the name says it all, doesn't it? It's stating something without backing it up.
Logical Fallacy Lesson 4: Bald Assertion | Rational Response Squad

You cannot back up a personal opinion because there is nothing to back it up except a personal opinion.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They know that I make the same mistakes over and over again? No, they don't know that, they just arrogantly assert that. It is nothing more than a personal opinion, a bald assertion.

What is "bald assertion?" Well the name says it all, doesn't it? It's stating something without backing it up.
Logical Fallacy Lesson 4: Bald Assertion | Rational Response Squad

You cannot back up a personal opinion because there is nothing to back it up except a personal opinion.
NO, they explain again and again. There were no "bold assertions".

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
And why are they the best evidence? Because they are not clearly fulfilled.
Just because it is not clear to some people that they were fulfilled that does not mean they were not fulfilled. That is completely illogical because how many people believe they were fulfilled has nothing to do with whether they were fulfilled or not.
Proven? Like the earthquake in Portugal and the smoky, dark day and meteor shower in North America, that all happened years before 1844, fulfilled Bible prophecies? Then there's the KJV fulfillment of "He" will come to you from Assyria. And you read it for yourself that none of the other translations worded it like the KJV. That fulfilled %&*# is still not sticking to the wall.
Yep, all of those events match up perfectly with what the Bible foretold.
But you can and will believe whatever you want to believe. Nothing will ever be good enough for you and that s why you will remain undecided.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So, in your opinion the Baha'i Faith true? Because you have proven it to yourself by examining the evidence? But, you don't know it for a fact? Because religious belief can never be proven as a fact? So you could be wrong? So what exactly did you prove to yourself? And, were there any things you could call "facts" that you looked at?
I looked at the facts about Baha'u'llah and His life and I looked at the history of the Baha'i Faith and I looked at the teachings of the Baha'i Faith and I read the Writings of Abdu'l-Baha and Baha'u'llah. I also read other books that have been written about the Baha'i Faith and the central figures of the Baha'i Faith.

I do not think like you and some other people. I do not think I could be wrong just because the religion cannot be proven as a fact because I would never expect ANY religion to be provable as a fact given the nature of religion. I look at the whole ball of wax, what I refer to as evidence, and I ask myself how it could be wrong. I ask myself if there is any other logical explanation for the existence of the Baha'i Faith and there isn't any. There is just too much evidence that it is the truth, too many pieces of the puzzle that fit together.

All that said, I am not happy with the Baha'i explanation for some things such as why we have to suffer, that God is all-loving and all-good, and that we are all sinners, but I realize that there are many things I do not understand because I am just a fallible human being. The only thing that really matters to me is that there is one true God and Baha'u'llah was His latest Messenger who got a Revelation from God, all the other details do not need to be sorted out in my mind in order to believe that the Baha'i Faith is the truth.
Why not just say that the Baha'i religion sounds good, so you took it on "faith" that it was true but it might not be?
Because that is not what happened. Admittedly, when I first became a Baha'i I probably believed it because it sounded good, but since then and especially in recent years after delving into it more and more I no longer believe it for that reason. Now I believe it because I know it is the truth from God, and I cannot think of any better reason to believe it.

For 51 years I have believed that Baha'u'llah was a Manifestation of God but now I do not just believe, I know. Now I am certain that Baha'u'llah was a Manifestation or God which means that the Baha'i Faith is the newest religion that has been revealed by God.