• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist intolerance?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
It's impossible for it to ever leave my mind. I interact with rationally-challenged people every day. Many of them on RF.

It's much easier then having to deal with them face to face.

I don't think that student's life is going to get any better now that they took the banner down. I hope she wasn't planning on becoming a politician.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
How is it "bashing" to demand that the law be upheld and a sectarian prayer be removed from a public school? Do you really think that this is an act of violence?

IDK, I wasn't the one who equated the banner being up as bashing.
Do you think having the banner there was an act of violence?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That sums it all up nicely.
I vote to keep dogma out of the driver's seat.

Sure, secular societies function better but you're not going to stop people from carrying their bias in their back pocket.

People will get away with whatever they feel they can. Make enemies at your own risk.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It's much easier then having to deal with them face to face.

It's equally as annoying in real-life as it is on RF. I probably find it a bit easier in real-life actually, as I find it easier to make people back down from irrational positions in real-life than online. In real life, people are more appropriately responsive when they are clearly outclassed - the internet gives people the illusion that they are on equal footing with someone like me, whereas in real life, this is much more rare.

I don't think that student's life is going to get any better now that they took the banner down. I hope she wasn't planning on becoming a politician.

I hope not either. Someone that idealistic and honest wouldn't last long in the hypocrisy-driven world of politics. And I'm sure her life will turn out just fine. Anyone that ballsy and brave has a bright future ahead of them.

Last edited:

no-body

Not right now no but the student can feel proud that they had the cojones to do the right thing at such a young age despite what the majority thought. Just because the prayer was tolerated there for such a long time didn't make it right. Hopefully it will keep leading us toward a more sane secular world.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Not right now no but the student can feel proud that they had the cojones to do the right thing at such a young age despite what the majority thought. Just because the prayer was tolerated there for such a long time didn't make it right. Hopefully it will keep leading us toward a more sane secular world.

Well maybe, I'm not a prophet so who can say the repercussions. Otherwise I hope the pride was enough for her.

waitasec

Veteran Member
i think this was a perfect opportunity for the "christians" to show their tolerance of others...
but alas, they displayed their pride as they are called to be meek and humble to protect something that is ultimately unconstitutional

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
i think this was a perfect opportunity for the "christians" to show their tolerance of others...
but alas, they displayed their pride as they are called to be meek and humble to protect something that is ultimately unconstitutional

I think you expect too much of Christians, and maybe I expect too much of rational people.

Certainly an Atheist need not behave any better then anyone else. I'm sure she acted as she felt is was necessary. I just don't think it accomplished anything meaningful.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
IDK, I wasn't the one who equated the banner being up as bashing.
Do you think having the banner there was an act of violence?
I wasn't asking about the banner going up; I was asking about having it taken down, which you called "bashing back"; how is it "bashing"?

waitasec

Veteran Member
What's wrong with enabling the freedom of religion?
It's in the Constitution. Though I suppose you can try to change it if you want.

the constitution says it will not recognize one religion over others...
enabling the banner was holding a christian religion over others.

had it been a mission statement, no problem...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I wasn't asking about the banner going up; I was asking about having it taken down, which you called "bashing back"; how is it "bashing"?

Have you seen her Blog? It bashes Christians pretty good.
I don't see any reason to think bashing Christianity is not part of her motivation.

So yeah, good term... "bashing".

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
the constitution says it will not recognize one religion over others...
enabling the banner was holding a christian religion over others.

had it been a mission statement, no problem...

Where does it say that?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Have you heard all the crap she's had to put up with? I kind of feel sorry for her.

I don't think it'd lead to anything particular for the world. Though I suspect people will refer to the incident from time to time trying to make a point. I don't think it's going to make the world any more sane.

It's not about right or wrong. It's not right or wrong to hang up a prayer that was part of the schools history. Maybe better to encourage other student of different faiths/non-faiths to add some inspirational message and call it the Wall of Tolerance.