• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist intolerance?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That's like pouring a glass of water into a lake to make it wet.

I suspect it's more like pouring gasoline on a fire to put it out.

There is actually a lot on intolerance in the US for Atheism. You know people are less likely to vote for an Atheist for President then just abort any other religion. A person has to be God fearing to be trusted.

Can't have the godless running the country. :sorry1:

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I suspect it's more like pouring gasoline on a fire to put it out.

There is actually a lot on intolerance in the US for Atheism. You know people are less likely to vote for an Atheist for President then just abort any other religion. A person has to be God fearing to be trusted.

Can't have the godless running the country. :sorry1:

Imagine the madness. Allowing the country to be run by people who consistently base their decisions and views on rationality.

The horror!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't think they have any interest in putting out the fire.

The Atheists or the Christians?

People aren't so hard to deal with but I think rubbing one's differences in another's face ain't the best way to go about it.

It's it right or just? No...

I just think taking a practical approach in trying to accomplish tolerance among folks would probably work out better in the long run.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
People aren't so hard to deal with but I think rubbing one's differences in another's face ain't the best way to go about it.

Indeed, subjecting everyone in a school to one's religious views is not only unconstitutional, but also, as you say, rubbing it another's face.

I just think taking a practical approach in trying to accomplish tolerance among folks would probably work out better in the long run.

Removing special treatment for certain groups is certainly a good first practical step.

no-body

atheist-cartoon.gif

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Imagine the madness. Allowing the country to be run by people who consistently base their decisions and views on rationality.

The horror!

One can't trust man's rationality. That is stuck in their heads. Nothing good comes from man without God. That the basis of their reasoning. If you want to change that you got to get people to trust you.

Or not...
Atheists can try winning by attrition. I suspect they don't have the numbers though.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Indeed, subjecting everyone in a school to one's religious views is not only unconstitutional, but also, as you say, rubbing it another's face.

Sure, an Atheist ain't got to act any different then the religious folks. No better no worse. I just don't think it'll accomplish anything beneficial. I suppose if the point is to make one's self feel better by bashing back, it's all good.

Removing special treatment for certain groups is certainly a good first practical step.

Good luck with that. Special interests is what make the world go around. Seems a basic nature of people. I don't think that's going to change regardless of how wrong/immoral people think it is.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Sure, an Atheist ain't got to act any different then the religious folks. No better no worse. I just don't think it'll accomplish anything beneficial. I suppose if the point is to make one's self feel better by bashing back, it's all good.

Good luck with that. Special interests is what make the world go around. Seems a basic nature of people. I don't think that's going to change regardless of how wrong/immoral people think it is.

Some of us think the Constitution is a good thing. A thing worth protecting and upholding. I suppose I might feel differently if I was compelled to place religious dogma ahead of it.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

How is it "bashing" to demand that the law be upheld and a sectarian prayer be removed from a public school? Do you really think that this is an act of violence?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Some of us think the Constitution is a good thing. A thing worth protecting and upholding.
I suppose I might feel differently if I was compelled to place religious dogma ahead of it.
That sums it all up nicely.
I vote to keep dogma out of the driver's seat.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
People tend to learn by imitation of others. Someone has to show them how to be accepting.

LOL - Yeah, they need to be shown that they need to accept that others get special treament, and they should just keep their mouths shut about it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Some of us think the Constitution is a good thing. A thing worth protecting and upholding. I suppose I might feel differently if I was compelled to place religious dogma ahead of it.

Now you're getting it. I suspect you would too.

The law isn't going to change how people feel.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
Now you're getting it. I suspect you would too.

The law isn't going to change how people feel.

Exactly, it's about maintaing fairness despite peoples' misguided feelings. Protection from the tyranny of the majority is one of the Constitution's best features.

There's not much you can do to change peoples' bigotry, but at least you can make sure it isn't state sponsored.