• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist becomes a Christian after 40 years

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I think all religions are false. However if the belief results in a better person I do not care what people had to tell themselves in order to accomplish that result. I do not think people should suppress their belief due to outside views. It is within a similar vein of suppression of doubt when within a religion.
I think that all the older religions have been corrupted by man and the older they are the more corrupted they have become. To the extent that they have been corrupted they are false, because they no longer represent what God revealed in scriptures.

I do not think that people should suppress their beliefs or allow others to suppress their beliefs; people have a right to their beliefs because we all have free will. However, I see no reason why others cannot disagree with the beliefs of others and point out what they believe is false. Likewise, it does not bother me if others disagree with my beliefs or say they are false. Everyone has a right to their opinions.

Shad

Veteran Member
I think that all the older religions have been corrupted by man and the older they are the more corrupted they have become. To the extent that they have been corrupted they are false, because they no longer represent what God revealed in scriptures.

While we disagree with the foundation and part of the results I bet we agree on a lot of causes.

I do not think that people should suppress their beliefs or allow others to suppress their beliefs; people have a right to their beliefs because we all have free will. However, I see no reason why others cannot disagree with the beliefs of others and point out what they believe is false. Likewise, it does not bother me if others disagree with my beliefs or say they are false. Everyone has a right to their opinions.

I have no issues with disagreement. The context is what I use to determine when to voice it. The OP story does not go into details so it is hard pick out parts which are advocates/proselytizing or merely telling a story about their experiences.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Most Christians recognise there was more to Moses than being just a prophet.
More than Just a prophet, what would that be? Certainly no Christians believe that Moses was equivalent to Jesus.
The Bible is quite unique in that it provides the life and Teachings of at least two Manifestations of God. Then there’s Adam, Noah and Abraham.
And Christians have FAILED to recognize any of them for who they actually were. :rolleyes:
There’s quite a few Christians who recognise there is something extraordinary about the life and Teachings of Muhammad and Buddha.
So what? They STILL believe that Jesus is the Only Way.
Why not look for points of agreement of which there are many? You have at least as much in common with Christians as you do atheists. If you are adversarial and emphasise differences it often won’t feel like a spirit of love and fellowship for either party.
I do look for points of agreement, all the time and I am not adversarial. Telling them that I disagree with the basic Christian doctrines is not being adversarial, it is just being honest.
Sometimes sacrifices are made for the greater good. The beloved of all things in the Sight of God is Justice is it not?
Why not just answer directly with a “yes?” Why beat around the bush? I do not consider that justice but then I am not God am I? However, I am not going to just accept what the Bible says God said or did because it is not verifiable. These are just stories. They might be true or not, but I am not gullible enough to “just believe” them because they are in the Bible.

Do you believe that everything that was written in the Bible is literally true? Can you explain to me how whoever wrote the Bible knew what God said to Moses? Moreover, there are lots of other instances where the OT says that God said or did x or y or z. Do you actually believe that God said and did all those things?
Bahá’u’lláh teaches us to see with our own eyes and not through the eyes of others, to know of our own knowledge, not through the knowledge of our neighbours. There is no substitute for reading and studying the Bible firsthand. Remember it is better to read a single verse in a spirit of joy than to wearily read all the scriptures. Eventually it will only take a few minutes to make connections and gain insights. Furthermore an hours reflection is preferable to 70 years of pious worship.
I guess you did not hear what I said? I do not want to read the Bible and it is not a requirement for Baha’is to read the Bible. However, if I see a REASON to read it I surely will, like when I am conversing with Christians and I have to look up verses.
If a Hindu in India becomes a Baha’i, nearly 80% of his countrymen will be Hindus too and only 2% Christian. It’s more important that he can connect Bahá’u’lláh’s Revelation with Hinduism in the first instance than Christianity. If we are to have a truly world embracing view that Bahá’u’lláh asks, then we need to connect with other world views too. For me the best way to learn about Christianity is to talk to Christians. If the topic of the Bible comes up then the best way for me to learn about this book is to read it myself and not rely on the opinions of others, even Bahá’u’lláh’s.
I agree that the best way to learn about Christianity is to talk to Christians. However, I do not think that the best way to learn about the Bible is to read it myself; I would be better off taking a class because I am not going to understand what verses mean without guidance from someone who knows more than I do.

If Baha’u’llah interpreted something in the Bible, I certainly would defer to Baha’u’llah’s interpretation rather than my own.

“Know assuredly that just as thou firmly believest that the Word of God, exalted be His glory, endurethfor ever, thou must, likewise, believe with undoubting faith that its meaning can never be exhausted. They who are its appointed interpreters, they whose hearts are the repositories of its secrets, are, however, the only ones who can comprehend its manifold wisdom. Whoso, while reading the Sacred Scriptures, is tempted to choose therefrom whatever may suit him with which to challenge the authority of the Representative of God among men, is, indeed, as one dead, though to outward seeming he may walk and converse with his neighbors, and share with them their food and their drink.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 175-176
It’s strongly implied. One of the fundamental Baha’i principles is the Oneness of religion. That is the Central theme of one common faith. So I no longer see there’s separation but a process of progressive Revelation.
Oneness of religion simply means that all religions came from the SAME Source, God. It does not mean that all the religions are the same or that all religions are pertinent to this new age.

A fundamental principle of the Baha’i Faith is that time marches on and the older religions are no longer pertinent to the new age:

“The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 213

That is why a new religion is revealed in every age, and THAT religion is the one that humanity is enjoined to follow.
There’s no disconnect between God telling Moses to stone the one who breaks the Sabbath and Bahá’u’lláh commanding to burn the arsonist. Then when Bahá’u’lláh talks about outwardly fire and vengeance, inwardly light and mercy there is peace.

The disconnect is that if we are Baha’is, the Laws of Judaism do not apply to us. Moreover, the Laws of Judaism are no longer pertinent to this age in history.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Do you think that homosexuals should be put to death? I cannot see any justice in that. However, I have no problem with an arsonist who killed people in a fire he started being burned because that is just.

I do not see it implied or written anywherethat we should know all about all the older religions. Regarding older religions, this is what Baha’u’llah says:

“To any one that hath read the book of Jük it is clear and evident how much the accounts given by the various books have differed.
Please God thou wilt turn thine eyes towards the Most Great Revelation, and entirely disregard these conflicting tales and traditions.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 174-175

Conversing with people of other religions in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship does not require that we learn all about their religion. It is much more important that we know about the Baha’i Faith than other religions, for obvious logical reasons.
When you talk about having no interest in previous religions it makes as much sense as one who only reads Bahá’u’lláh’s works during Akka but not in Baghdad.
No, that is completely illogical because Baha’u’llah’s Revelation is the Revelation for this age, and Baha’u’llah’s works are Baha’u’llah’s works. They have nothing to do with the works of previous religious dispensations. All the older religious dispensations have been unconditionally abrogated by the Revelation of Baha’u’llah. NOWHERE did Baha’u’llah tell us to study the older religions. In fact, what He said is to turn towards His Manifestation, which obviously implies that we do not turn our attention backwards in history.

“This is the Day when the loved ones of God should keep their eyes directed towards His Manifestation, and fasten them upon whatsoever that Manifestation may be pleased to reveal. Certain traditions of bygone ages rest on no foundations whatever, while the notions entertained by past generations, and which they have recorded in their books, have, for the most part, been influenced by the desires of a corrupt inclination. Thou dost witness how most of the commentaries and interpretations of the words of God, now current amongst men, are devoid of truth. Their falsity hath, in some cases, been exposed when the intervening veils were rent asunder. They themselves have acknowledged their failure in apprehending the meaning of any of the words of God.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 171-172
As I see Bahá’u’lláh’s Revelation that’s exactly what we’re obligated to do.
We are obligated to proclaim that Baha’u’llah has come and teach the Faith to those who are interested. We are not obligated to learn all about their religions.
It’s much easier for those following the latest Manifestation to enter into the world of those followers of a previous dispensation than the other way round. We’re the ones with the latest guidance after all. If we follow Bahá’u’lláh we will acquire the knowledge and skills to guide and teach others if they are receptive.

We all acquire knowledge and skills to guide and teach others in our own individual ways.There is no reason to think that all Baha’is should teach the Faith in the same way.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
While we disagree with the foundation and part of the results I bet we agree on a lot of causes
Probably... ;)
I have no issues with disagreement. The context is what I use to determine when to voice it. The OP story does not go into details so it is hard pick out parts which are advocates/proselytizing or merely telling a story about their experiences.
I was just sharing what I heard on Christian radio and how I felt about it.

Shad

Veteran Member
I was just sharing what I heard on Christian radio and how I felt about it.

I took it as just a reflection type of statement rather than an opening for a theological debate. The only issue I have is with the perception based conclusion which is based on individuals but extended into a generalization. It is far too monolithic in my view.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I took it as just a reflection type of statement rather than an opening for a theological debate. The only issue I have is with the perception based conclusion which is based on individuals but extended into a generalization. It is far too monolithic in my view.
What was the generalization? o_O

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
"I cannot side with Christianity because it has hurt so many people"

The crimes/act of the RCC are not the crimes of say Dutch Reformist.
I am not sure what you are getting at. o_O

When I said Christianity has hurt so many people that was in the context of the OP, so the people I was referring to are atheists.

Milton Platt

I listen to Christian radio on my bike and between songs people call in and tell stories. A few weeks ago a man called in with a story of how he had just become a Christian after 40 years of being an atheist.

Is it better that this man at least believes in God now? I am not so sure. I think it might be better for atheists to remain atheists rather than becoming Christians because I believe that the doctrines of the Church are false. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against belief in Jesus and all His wonderful parables and teachings, but that is not what Christianity teaches. It teaches that Jesus is God, original sin, being saved and forgiven by the cross sacrifice, and the bodily resurrection, ascension and return of Jesus from heaven on some poufy clouds.

Whereas I believe in the cross sacrifice, I do not believe in original sin, so I do not believe there is anything to be saved from except our attachment to selfish desires and the world. Moreover, I do not believe in heaven and hell as places we go to, contingent solely upon whether we accepted Jesus as our Savior. I believe that the Christian doctrines are false, and not what Jesus taught. They are concoctions of the Church which came about as the result of misinterpretations of scripture, not to mention the influences of Paul, which changed the course of Christianity.

So, in my opinion, Christianity as it is believed by most Christians is a false religion. At least there is hope that an atheist might someday find another pathway to God, and even if he didn’t, I think that if an atheist has good principles and characterand leads the life that Jesus taught, he can receive the mercy and pardon of God in the afterlife and come to believe in God.

I apologize if I hurt any Christian’s feelings but I have seen far too many atheists who have been damaged by the Bible and Christianity and I have empathy for them. Christianity is the primary reason there are atheists.

I cannot side with Christianity because it has hurt so many people. Some of these atheists are good friends I met on forums and I have known them for years. They escaped Christianity, so they are doing just fine, they are good people. There is no reason they have to believe that Jesus died for their sins in order to have a chance at heaven. Websites like the following are beyond disgusting… :rolleyes:

How To Get To Heaven

How to get to heaven - Believe the truth!
The truth is that there is only one way for any human being to get to heaven and that is to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Atheists become Christians, Christians become atheists......happens daily. Actually gods are the reason there are atheists,,,,,,,atheists acknowledge that Christians exist.

Shad

Veteran Member
I am not sure what you are getting at. o_O

When I said Christianity has hurt so many people that was in the context of the OP, so the people I was referring to are atheists.

Those are Christians though. Christianity didn't do a thing to me. The people did. (Nothing horrible)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Those are Christians though. Christianity didn't do a thing to me. The people did. (Nothing horrible)
I think it is the doctrines of Christianity that hurt people (original sin, hell, etc.) All the Christians of today did was pass those along to other people. If there is any blame to be laid, it is on those Christians who created those false doctrines at councils such as Nicaea.

Shad

Veteran Member
I think it is the doctrines of Christianity that hurt people (original sin, hell, etc.) All the Christians of today did was pass those along to other people. If there is any blame to be laid, it is on those Christians who created those false doctrines at councils such as Nicaea.

The idea does not harm anyone. It is other people or themselves.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
More than Just a prophet, what would that be? Certainly no Christians believe that Moses was equivalent to Jesus.

Most Christians would recognise that Judaism is founded on the Teachings of Moses which are recorded in the Torah or the first five books in the Christian Old Testament. That obviously raises questions about the station of Moses as being greater than the OT prophet. Like Christ, Moses was a mediator of Covenant between God and His people. Moses also provided His people with salvation and redemption through enabling them to escape the oppression and tyranny of the Egyptians. The key reasons why Jesus is seen as being greater than Moses are:

1/ Jesus is perceived to be without sin whereas Moses sinned by killing a man.
2/ Jesus was the Son of God
3/ Jesus was God

So I appreciate why it is difficult for Christians to believe Jesus is exalted above Moses.

And Christians have FAILED to recognize any of them for who they actually were. :rolleyes:

The problem for the Christians is they only have the accounts in Genesis to go on. If its not clear that Moses and Jesus have the same station from the Bible (and it isn't) then its even less clear that Adam, Noah and Abraham are all Manifestations of God.

So what? They STILL believe that Jesus is the Only Way.

That's not true. While some Christians believe Jesus to be the only way, many don't.

I do look for points of agreement, all the time and I am not adversarial. Telling them that I disagree with the basic Christian doctrines is not being adversarial, it is just being honest.

That takes me back to your OP and the reason I've responded:

So, in my opinion, Christianity as it is believed by most Christians is a false religion. At least there is hope that an atheist might someday find another pathway to God, and even if he didn’t, I think that if an atheist has good principles and characterand leads the life that Jesus taught, he can receive the mercy and pardon of God in the afterlife and come to believe in God.

I apologize if I hurt any Christian’s feelings but I have seen far too many atheists who have been damaged by the Bible and Christianity and I have empathy for them. Christianity is the primary reason there are atheists.

I cannot side with Christianity because it has hurt so many people. Some of these atheists are good friends I met on forums and I have known them for years. They escaped Christianity, so they are doing just fine, they are good people. There is no reason they have to believe that Jesus died for their sins in order to have a chance at heaven. Websites like the following are beyond disgusting… :rolleyes:

How To Get To Heaven

How to get to heaven - Believe the truth!
The truth is that there is only one way for any human being to get to heaven and that is to believe in the Lord Jesus Christ.

I appreciate you are just being honest, but calling Christianity a false religion seems adversarial.

None of us can truly know the soul of another. Why attribute Christianity as the primary reason for one's choice to be an atheist?In my experienc e it is not the primary reason at all.

Baha'is believe in the freedom of religion. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, fundamentalist Christians too.

Why not just answer directly with a “yes?” Why beat around the bush? I do not consider that justice but then I am not God am I? However, I am not going to just accept what the Bible says God said or did because it is not verifiable. These are just stories. They might be true or not, but I am not gullible enough to “just believe” them because they are in the Bible.

Do you believe that everything that was written in the Bible is literally true? Can you explain to me how whoever wrote the Bible knew what God said to Moses? Moreover, there are lots of other instances where the OT says that God said or did x or y or z. Do you actually believe that God said and did all those things?

You know I don't believe everything in the Bible to be literally true.

I don't beat around the bush, instead consider Abdu'i-Baha's wise words.

Follow thou the way of thy Lord, and say not that which the ears cannot bear to hear, for such speech is like luscious food given to small children. However palatable, rare and rich the food may be, it cannot be assimilated by the digestive organs of a suckling child. Therefore unto every one who hath a right, let his settled measure be given.

‘Not everything that a man knoweth can be disclosed, nor can everything that he can disclose be regarded as timely, nor can every timely utterance be considered as suited to the capacity of those who hear it.’ Such is the consummate wisdom to be observed in thy pursuits. Be not oblivious thereof, if thou wishest to be a man of action under all conditions. First diagnose the disease and identify the malady, then prescribe the remedy, for such is the perfect method of the skilful physician.

Bahá'í Reference Library - The Promulgation of Universal Peace, Pages 458-460

I guess you did not hear what I said? I do not want to read the Bible and it is not a requirement for Baha’is to read the Bible. However, if I see a REASON to read it I surely will, like when I am conversing with Christians and I have to look up verses.

It doesn't bother me if you do or don't read the Bible. I had throught that taking the time to study the Bible might help you soften your stance towards Christians.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree that the best way to learn about Christianity is to talk to Christians. However, I do not think that the best way to learn about the Bible is to read it myself; I would be better off taking a class because I am not going to understand what verses mean without guidance from someone who knows more than I do.

If Baha’u’llah interpreted something in the Bible, I certainly would defer to Baha’u’llah’s interpretation rather than my own.

“Know assuredly that just as thou firmly believest that the Word of God, exalted be His glory, endurethfor ever, thou must, likewise, believe with undoubting faith that its meaning can never be exhausted. They who are its appointed interpreters, they whose hearts are the repositories of its secrets, are, however, the only ones who can comprehend its manifold wisdom. Whoso, while reading the Sacred Scriptures, is tempted to choose therefrom whatever may suit him with which to challenge the authority of the Representative of God among men, is, indeed, as one dead, though to outward seeming he may walk and converse with his neighbors, and share with them their food and their drink.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 175-176

I agree some formal study is helpful and I've taken courses from time to time. I've also studied the Bible with both Baha'is and Christians. I too would undoubtedly defer to Baha'u'llah's opinion. However I would also consider that most of Baha'u'llah's works were addressed to Muslims. Some of the Summons to Kings and Rulers of the World along with the tablet to the Christians are amonsgt some important exceptions. So most of the Baha'ullah's audience have the benefit of the Muhammadian dispensations. Christians do not. In fact the Baha’is need to do what the Muslims have failed to do. Teach those in the West about Islam.

'There is so [much] misunderstanding about Islam in the West in general that you have to dispel. Your task is rather difficult and requires a good deal of erudition. Your chief task is to acquaint the friends with the pure teaching of the Prophet [Muhammad] as recorded in the Qur'án, and then to point out how these teachings have, throughout succeeding ages, influenced[,] nay[,] guided the course of human development. In other words you have to show the position and significance of Islam in the history of civilization.'
- Shoghi Effendi, (the Guardian of the Bahá'í Faith). Lights of Guidance, New Delhi: Bahá'í Publishing Trust, 2nd rev. and enlarged edition, 1988, #1664.

'The mission of the American Bahá'ís is, no doubt to eventually establish the truth of Islam in the West.'
- Shoghi Effendi, Lights of Guidance, #1665.

On the importance of the study of Islam to Bahá'ís, the Guardian, Shoghi Effendi, said that for 'a proper and sound understanding of the Cause' its study was 'absolutely indispensable.'

- Lights of Guidance, #1903.

Islam and the Bahá'í Faith

Seems reasonably clear don’t you think? I don't see how a Baha'i can connect a Christian to the pure word of Muhammad in the Quran without also having a connection with the words of the Torah attributed to Moses or the Words of Gospel attributed to Jesus.

In fact a study of the Kitab-i-Iqan will reveal its exactly what Baha'u''llah criticised the Muslims leaders for in their approach to Christians. The Muslims because they had the Quran felt they didn't need to study the Bible and that the Gospel the Christians had in their possession was of little value. OTOH Bahá’u’lláh doesn’t criticise the Christians at all.

We have also heard a number of the foolish of the earth assert that the genuine text of the heavenly Gospel doth not exist amongst the Christians, that it hath ascended unto heaven. How grievously they have erred! How oblivious of the fact that such a statement imputeth the gravest injustice and tyranny to a gracious and loving Providence! How could God, when once the Day-star of the beauty of Jesus had disappeared from the sight of His people, and ascended unto the fourth heaven, cause His holy Book, His most great testimony amongst His creatures, to disappear also? What would be left to that people to cling to from the setting of the day-star of Jesus until the rise of the sun of the Muḥammadan Dispensation? What law could be their stay and guide? How could such people be made the victims of the avenging wrath of God, 90 the omnipotent Avenger? How could they be afflicted with the scourge of chastisement by the heavenly King? Above all, how could the flow of the grace of the All-Bountiful be stayed? How could the ocean of His tender mercies be stilled? We take refuge with God, from that which His creatures have fancied about Him! Exalted is He above their comprehension!

Bahá'í Reference Library - The Kitáb-i-Íqán, Pages 81-93

Oneness of religion simply means that all religions came from the SAME Source, God. It does not mean that all the religions are the same or that all religions are pertinent to this new age.

A fundamental principle of the Baha’i Faith is that time marches on and the older religions are no longer pertinent to the new age:

“The All-Knowing Physician hath His finger on the pulse of mankind. He perceiveth the disease, and prescribeth, in His unerring wisdom, the remedy. Every age hath its own problem, and every soul its particular aspiration. The remedy the world needeth in its present-day afflictions can never be the same as that which a subsequent age may require. Be anxiously concerned with the needs of the age ye live in, and center your deliberations on its exigencies and requirements.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 213

That is why a new religion is revealed in every age, and THAT religion is the one that humanity is enjoined to follow.

Of course. That is why learning about both the Quran and/or Bible is insufficient. We need to learn the history that gave rise to laws that are no longer applicable now as well as appreciating how both faiths have positively affected the course of civilisation.

Shoghi Effendi has for years urged the Bahá’ís (who asked his advice, and in general also) to study history, economics, sociology, etc., in order to be au courant with all the progressive movements and thoughts being put forth today, and so that they could correlate these to the Bahá’í teachings. What he wants the Bahá’ís to do is to study more, not to study less. The more general knowledge, scientific and otherwise, they possess, the better. Likewise he is constantly urging them to really study the Bahá’í teachings more deeply.

Bahá'í Reference Library - The Kitáb-i-Íqán, Pages 81-93

The disconnect is that if we are Baha’is, the Laws of Judaism do not apply to us. Moreover, the Laws of Judaism are no longer pertinent to this age in history.

Leviticus 20:13 If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Do you think that homosexuals should be put to death? I cannot see any justice in that. However, I have no problem with an arsonist who killed people in a fire he started being burned because that is just.

I do not see it implied or written anywherethat we should know all about all the older religions. Regarding older religions, this is what Baha’u’llah says:

“To any one that hath read the book of Jük it is clear and evident how much the accounts given by the various books have differed.
Please God thou wilt turn thine eyes towards the Most Great Revelation, and entirely disregard these conflicting tales and traditions.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 174-175

Conversing with people of other religions in a spirit of friendliness and fellowship does not require that we learn all about their religion. It is much more important that we know about the Baha’i Faith than other religions, for obvious logical reasons.

We know many of the laws of Judaism no longer apply. They were revealed 3 1/2 thousand years ago to people through Moses during a time of exile before going on to conquer the land of Canaan.

The book of Juk is an obscure text that few have heard of. OTOH the Bible and Quran are the two most well known and studied books on the planet.

No, that is completely illogical because Baha’u’llah’s Revelation is the Revelation for this age, and Baha’u’llah’s works are Baha’u’llah’s works. They have nothing to do with the works of previous religious dispensations. All the older religious dispensations have been unconditionally abrogated by the Revelation of Baha’u’llah. NOWHERE did Baha’u’llah tell us to study the older religions. In fact, what He said is to turn towards His Manifestation, which obviously implies that we do not turn our attention backwards in history.

“This is the Day when the loved ones of God should keep their eyes directed towards His Manifestation, and fasten them upon whatsoever that Manifestation may be pleased to reveal. Certain traditions of bygone ages rest on no foundations whatever, while the notions entertained by past generations, and which they have recorded in their books, have, for the most part, been influenced by the desires of a corrupt inclination. Thou dost witness how most of the commentaries and interpretations of the words of God, now current amongst men, are devoid of truth. Their falsity hath, in some cases, been exposed when the intervening veils were rent asunder. They themselves have acknowledged their failure in apprehending the meaning of any of the words of God.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 171-172

The words of Shoghi Effendi seem clear about what is required with study of the Quran. Abdu'l-Baha certainly exhorted the Baha'is of the West to comprehend the Divine mysteries enshrined in the Bible as well as providing extensive commentary on many of its passages.

We are obligated to proclaim that Baha’u’llah has come and teach the Faith to those who are interested. We are not obligated to learn all about their religions.

If we take that approach we disregard all the passages in the Baha'i writings that teach us about Islam and Christianity!?

We all acquire knowledge and skills to guide and teach others in our own individual ways.There is no reason to think that all Baha’is should teach the Faith in the same way.

I agree.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The key reasons why Jesus is seen as being greater than Moses are:

1/ Jesus is perceived to be without sin whereas Moses sinned by killing a man.
2/ Jesus was the Son of God
3/ Jesus was God

So I appreciate why it is difficult for Christians to believe Jesus is exalted above Moses.
Yes, I know why Christians believe that Jesus was greater, and I also appreciate why it is difficult for Christians to see Moses as equivalent to Jesus.
The problem for the Christians is they only have the accounts in Genesis to go on. If its not clear that Moses and Jesus have the same station from the Bible (and it isn't) then its even less clear that Adam, Noah and Abraham are all Manifestations of God.
But it has been made clear in the Writings of Baha'u'llah. ;)
That's not true. While some Christians believe Jesus to be the only way, many don't.
Can you give me some examples? o_O
That takes me back to your OP and the reason I've responded:
I appreciate you are just being honest, but calling Christianity a false religion seems adversarial.
I said that I believe that the doctrines of the Church are false. Let's look at what I actually said, in context:

I believe that the doctrines of the Church are false. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against belief in Jesus and all His wonderful parables and teachings, but that is not what Christianity teaches. It teaches that Jesus is God, original sin, being saved and forgiven by the cross sacrifice, and the bodily resurrection, ascension and return of Jesus from heaven on some poufy clouds.

Whereas I believe in the cross sacrifice, I do not believe in original sin, so I do not believe there is anything to be saved from except our attachment to selfish desires and the world. Moreover, I do not believe in heaven and hell as places we go to, contingent solely upon whether we accepted Jesus as our Savior. I believe that the Christian doctrines are false, and not what Jesus taught. They are concoctions of the Church which came about as the result of misinterpretations of scripture, not to mention the influences of Paul, which changed the course of Christianity.

So, in my opinion, Christianity as it is believed by most Christians is a false religion.​
None of us can truly know the soul of another. Why attribute Christianity as the primary reason for one's choice to be an atheist? In my experience it is not the primary reason at all.
Of course none of us can know the soul of another, but in my experience, the Bible or Christianity is the primary reason most atheists are atheists. I go only by what atheists tell me and that is what most (but not all) atheists tell me.
Baha'is believe in the freedom of religion. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, fundamentalist Christians too.
Where did I say that people are not entitled to their beliefs? o_O
You know I don't believe everything in the Bible to be literally true.
Then how do we determine what is true and false? Do you understand the problem?
It doesn't bother me if you do or don't read the Bible. I had thought that taking the time to study the Bible might help you soften your stance towards Christians.
Reading the Bible would more likely harden my stance. ;)

What you don't know is that I get most of my inspiration from Christians, not from Baha'is. :D

I get most of that inspiration from Christian radio, which I listen to all my way to work and back, a three hour commute, and whenever I can get away with it at home. The first thing I do when I get up is turn on the Christian radio station, and it stays on till my husband gets up and turns it off. He just got up so I only had it for about three hours today. :(
Any Baha'i music pales in comparison to Christian music. :D

A lot of the songs incorporate the Christian doctrines but I do not care, because it is Jesus and God that are most important, and the songs reflect them. My favorite new song is about the resurrection: Resurrecting

My all-time favorite song is MercyMe, as I need all the help I can get with God. ;)

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So most of the Baha'ullah's audience have the benefit of the Muhammadian dispensations. Christians do not.
Are you saying that Baha’u’llah wrote more about Muhammad and the Qur’an than about Jesus and the Bible?
In fact the Baha’is need to do what the Muslims have failed to do. Teach those in the West about Islam.

'The mission of the American Bahá'ís is, no doubt to eventually establish the truth of Islam in the West.'
- Shoghi Effendi, Lights of Guidance, #1665.
Of course Muslims are not going to teach the Baha’i Faith, they do not believe in it, but I understand what you mean. That would mean it is more important to know the Qur’an than the Bible; then again, there are not very many Muslims in the West to talk to. However, there are a fair number of Muslims on forums so I think knowing the Qur’an is more valuable than knowing the Bible, especially because in many ways, Muslims are already in the same ball park as Baha’is, except for recognizing Baha’u’llah.
Seems reasonably clear don’t you think? I don't see how a Baha'i can connect a Christian to the pure word of Muhammad in the Quran without also having a connection with the words of the Torah attributed to Moses or the Words of Gospel attributed to Jesus.
It seems reasonably clear that if Christians were ever to accept the Baha’i Faith, Muhammad cannot be left standing on the doorstep.:rolleyes:

So, logically speaking, Baha’is should know what is in the Qur’an at least as well as what is in the Bible.
In fact a study of the Kitab-i-Iqan will reveal its exactly what Baha'u''llah criticised the Muslims leaders for in their approach to Christians. The Muslims because they had the Quran felt they didn't need to study the Bible and that the Gospel the Christians had in their possession was of little value. OTOH Bahá’u’lláh doesn’t criticise the Christians at all.
No, not in the Kitab-i-Iqan, but He lambasts Christians in the Proclamation of Bahá’u’lláh

POPE PIUS IX
O CONCOURSE of Christians!
“O CONCOURSE of priests!

Baha’u’llah sent Tablets to all the Christian leaders of His day, including the Pope and the priests, and he also addressed all the rulers of His day who were Christians, telling them who He was, the return of the Christ Spirit promised by Jesus Christ. Of course, they all rejected Him, so Christianity continued. In many ways, we cannot blame individual Christians because they are just following their leaders. As Baha'u'llah said in the Kitab-i-Iqan, it is the religious leaders who are to blame for leading their flocks astray.
Of course. That is why learning about both the Quran and/or Bible is insufficient. We need to learn the history that gave rise to laws that are no longer applicable now as well as appreciating how both faiths have positively affected the course of civilisation.
I do not understand why knowing all of that is necessary to teach the Baha'i Faith?

Sorry, but as I said before I cannot do all of that and also proclaim and teach the Baha'i Faith. I consider what Baha’u’llah has enjoined us to do before I consider what Shoghi Effendi says. There is only so much time in a day.

“O ye beloved of God! Repose not yourselves on your couches, nay bestir yourselves as soon as ye recognize your Lord, the Creator, and hear of the things which have befallen Him, and hasten to His assistance. Unloose your tongues, and proclaim unceasingly His Cause. This shall be better for you than all the treasures of the past and of the future, if ye be of them that comprehend this truth.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 330

“Be unrestrained as the wind, while carrying the Message of Him Who hath caused the Dawn of Divine Guidance to break. Consider, how the wind, faithful to that which God hath ordained, bloweth upon all the regions of the earth, be they inhabited or desolate. Neither the sight of desolation, nor the evidences of prosperity, can either pain or please it. It bloweth in every direction, as bidden by its Creator. So should be every one that claimeth to be a lover of the one true God. It behoveth him to fix his gaze upon the fundamentals of His Faith, and to labor diligently for its propagation.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 339
The words of Shoghi Effendi seem clear about what is required with study of the Quran. Abdu'l-Baha certainly exhorted the Baha'is of the West to comprehend the Divine mysteries enshrined in the Bible as well as providing extensive commentary on many of its passages.
I guess I will just have to be a “bad Baha’i” then, until I have TIME to read the Qur’an and the Bible. :oops:

The words of Baha’u’llah are clear about proclaiming and teaching the Baha’i Faith. I have a Word document with 101 quotes from Gleanings alone that say we should proclaim and teach the Cause. I do not NEED to know all about the older religions in order to proclaim and teach the Baha’i Faith. I need to know the Baha’i Faith.
If we take that approach we disregard all the passages in the Baha'i writings that teach us about Islam and Christianity!?
I never suggested we disregard anything in the Baha’i Writings.

Neutral Name

That is such an interesting question. If he believes in the love that Jesus taught, then maybe it's not such a bad thing but if he listens to other "Christians" who preach hate, then it is not such a good thing.