• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Activism

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Atheists have hobbies, but no one thinks collecting stamps is a form of atheism. Atheists have children, but no one thinks having children is atheism. Atheists have jobs, but no one thinks earning a salary is atheism. Just because an atheist does something does not make that something atheistic.
we not discussing salaries, hobbies, children.

we're discussing atheist acting from belief in regards to an atheists behavior towards others and acceptable/unaccepatable behavior of others towards self.

these behavior are a result of one's beliefs in how self and other as self should behave

Thermos aquaticus

we not discussing salaries, hobbies, children.

we're discussing atheist acting from belief in regards to an atheists behavior towards others and acceptable/unaccepatable behavior of others towards self.

What in the world is an "atheistic behavior"?

these behavior are a result of one's beliefs in how self and other as self should behave

But you haven't shown that they are a result of not believing in gods, which is the topic at hand.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's rather wide ranging....similar to not collecting coins behavior.

To elaborate...
I once collected coins.
I behaved a certain way.
Now I don't collect coins.
I behave the same way....except for not collecting coins.

So the question is....
What are the associated behaviors of not collecting coins....other than not collecting coins?

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
action from belief. movement away from referencing god and solely focusing on interrelationships to humans. theist don't focus solely on god, gods in respect to their belief system either. they are considered a part of it and humans relationship to them and each other.

some theist believe humans, or human, to be god.

But you haven't shown that they are a result of not believing in gods, which is the topic at hand.
this thread is about action from belief. as a human you act from belief. all humans do in relationship to self and others.

you hold two primary beliefs as a atheist.

1. there is no god
2. there is no gods

the rest of your belief system is again a personal amalgamation of beliefs of belief and disbelief

Thermos aquaticus

action from belief.

You act from your beliefs, do you not? Does that make you an atheist?

movement away from referencing god and solely focusing on interrelationships to humans.

That would be humanism, not atheism.

this thread is about action from belief.

The problem is that atheism is not a belief.

you hold two primary beliefs as a atheist.

1. there is no god
2. there is no gods

I am an atheist and I don't hold either of those beliefs.

the rest of your belief system is again a personal amalgamation of beliefs of belief and disbelief

I agree. Part of my belief system seems to hold close to secular humanism. I also believe in subjective morality. There are lots of things I believe, but atheism isn't one of them.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It's rather wide ranging....similar to not collecting coins behavior.

To elaborate...
I once collected coins.
I behaved a certain way.
Now I don't collect coins.
I behave the same way....except for not collecting coins.

So the question is....
What are the associated behaviors of not collecting coins....other than not collecting coins?

you can't exist in a society where you don't use some type of money en lieu of barter?

why collect coins if they are only good for collecting. obvious they are transferable and only worth what everyone agrees to believe they are worth.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
you can't exist in a society where you don't use some type of money en lieu of barter?

why collect coins if they are only good for collecting. obvious they are transferable and only worth what everyone agrees to believe they are worth.
Who said coins are only good for collecting?
When I converted from being a coin not collector (as I was born) to
a coin collector, I spent some coins, & collected the interesting ones.
But now that I've converted from a coin collector to a not coin collector,
I don't keep any coins.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Who said coins are only good for collecting?
When I converted from being a coin not collector (as I was born) to
a coin collector, I spent some coins, & collected the interesting ones.
But now that I've converted from a coin collector to a not coin collector,
I don't keep any coins.

you may not keep them but it doesn't mean you're not using them in some other capacity. chances were that you were only keeping the one's you "believed" to be of great value.

one man's trash is another man's treasure. qualifiers rise and fall with the belief of the person

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
you may not keep them but it doesn't mean you're not using them in some other capacity. chances were that you were only keeping the one's you "believed" to be of great value.

one man's trash is another man's treasure. qualifiers rise and fall with the belief of the person
I never worshiped coins either.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
If a Christian acts from their beliefs, does that make them an atheist?

if the person identifies as christian atheist it does

its sad to learn sometimes that we're not as special as we believe, isn't it?

another atheist taught me that once.

So who says that atheism isn't a belief system?
I am an atheist and I have a number of fundamental tenets that are the basis of that belief.
I believe that hell and the devil were the invention of a bunch of medieval monks with too much time on their hands and a perverted mind.
That the belief in heaven and God were the product, over time, of fear. Fear of dying being the end of life and a desperate desire to believe there is more to follow.
I also believe that as humans we have a duty to act in a way where the pursuit of our own happiness does not become an obstacle for other people seeking their happiness.
I also believe we are morally accountable for our actions, not to some imaginary God or Satan but to ourselves and to our fellow human beings.
I believe the name for my belief system is Humanism.

"I don't believe in deities" would be a lack of a belief.

Is there a belief in particular that you are thinking of? Perhaps a belief in the validity of Skepticism, or Logic?

Rather than using a negation, I. e. what you don't believe in, try this on for size:
"I believe that theism in it's many forms, be it Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc., is a product of people's imagination pure and simple. Motivations to join a theist group include but are not limited to, fear of death being the end of life, a psychopathic desire for the control and power over other human beings that is unique to religious gatherings, and pure and simple loneliness, the feeling of acceptance and companionship that many people get from being in a religious group.

Is there a belief in particular that you are thinking of? Perhaps a belief in the validity of Skepticism, or Logic?

Rather than using a negation, I. e. what you don't believe in, try this on for size:
"I believe that theism in it's many forms, be it Christianity, Judaism, Islam etc., is a product of people's imagination pure and simple. Motivations to join a theist group include but are not limited to, fear of death being the end of life, a psychopathic desire for the control and power over other human beings that is unique to religious gatherings, and pure and simple loneliness, the feeling of acceptance and companionship that many people get from being in a religious group.

Thermos aquaticus

Those don't seem to be necessary beliefs that an atheist would need to have. I am sure that there are many, many reasons why people have arrived at atheism, and those reasons may very well differ from yours.