• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist Activism

HonestJoe

If atheism isn't a belief system, why do atheists act from it and theist react to it? Can we have our cake and eat it too?
Is everything people react to a belief system? If what you’re thinking of people reacting to actually atheism, alone and in itself, or deeper and more constructed concepts which may grow from it? If atheism is a religion, why wouldn’t it’s opposite, theism, also be a religion?

Maybe you’re the one protesting too much. :)

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Is everything people react to a belief system? If what you’re thinking of people reacting to actually atheism, alone and in itself, or deeper and more constructed concepts which may grow from it? If atheism is a religion, why wouldn’t it’s opposite, theism, also be a religion?

people don't act from nothing, it goes against the law of every action has an equal but opposite reaction.

so when a string vibrates it's ascending wave crest has a descending response trough.

as above; so below :eek:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
So you can’t answer any of my questions or you simply chose not to? Maybe you don’t like that the answers go against your belief system. :)

i act from belief. i answered your question. i don't believe in a god apart from self. i don't believe in a consciousness apart from my self.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
For me, it was about resisting having their belief systems imposed upon us.
I remember when Christian prayer was required in public school.
i did too. you can't force belief, many have converted openly to a belief system under pain of death and yet lived outwardly as one thing and another in the safety of their own minds.

but don't believe me, talk to someone in the lgbtq community. one of the most reviled groups in the world.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
If atheism isn't a belief system, why do atheists act from it and theist react to it? Can we have our cake and eat it too?

Common misconception.

Atheists are people, and therefore agents. But atheism is not a motivation even for us.

Anti-theism can be a motivation. Reaction to presumption of theism from the social environment may be a motivation. Even existential angst hypothetically related to atheism might conceivably be a motivation.

But Atheism proper is not a motivation.

Audie

Veteran Member

Obsessively posting complaints, generally made up ones, is kind of a sign. It pays to learn to read sign. :D

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Common misconception.

Atheists are people, and therefore agents. But atheism is not a motivation even for us.

Anti-theism can be a motivation. Reaction to presumption of theism from the social environment may be a motivation. Even existential angst hypothetically related to atheism might conceivably be a motivation.

But Atheism proper is not a motivation.

interesting conundrum.

theists react to nothing but atheist don't act from something?

everyone acts from or reacts to something even something as insignificant as belief.

even scientists, seekers of knowledge, act from questioning and hypothesizing

its ok to be human

Last edited:

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Obsessively posting complaints, generally made up ones, is kind of a sign. It pays to learn to read sign. :D

signs of belief?

not every atheist/theist will react; especially to something that they don't feel strongly for/against

“Belief, like fear or love, is a force to be understood as we understand the theory of relativity and principals of uncertainty. Phenomena that determine the course of our lives. Yesterday, my life was headed in one direction. Today, it is headed in another. Yesterday, I believe I would never have done what I did today. These forces that often remake time and space, that can shape and alter who we imagine ourselves to be, begin long before we are born and continue after we perish. Our lives and our choices, like quantum trajectories, are understood moment to moment. That each point of intersection, each encounter, suggest a new potential direction.

Proposition, I have fallen in love with Luisa Rey. Is this possible? I just met her and yet, I feel like something important has happened to me.”

David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
interesting conundrum.

theists react to nothing but atheist don't act from something?

Atheists act for many reasons. It just happens that atheism proper is not one of them. Atheism lacks motivational power.

Why do you think that theists do not react to anything?

everyone acts from or reacts to something even something as insignificant as belief.

even scientists, seekers of knowledge, act from questioning and hypothesizing

its ok to be human

I think you may be failing to understand what I say.

Thermos aquaticus

people don't act from nothing, it goes against the law of every action has an equal but opposite reaction.

You are assuming that they are reacting based on a belief. You need to define what that belief is.

I would say that many atheists believe in freedom of religion, secular government, and a few even like a good debate. What beliefs are you referring to specifically?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Atheists act for many reasons. It just happens that atheism proper is not one of them. Atheism lacks motivational power.

Why do you think that theists do not react to anything?

I think you may be failing to understand what I say.

think = believe is a belief you act from and use to identity self and portray self from belief.

i know theists/atheists act/react to things. things as seemingly insignificant as beliefs. all humans have beliefs and all humans choose labels to identify themselves with.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You are assuming that they are reacting based on a belief. You need to define what that belief is.

I would say that many atheists believe in freedom of religion, secular government, and a few even like a good debate. What beliefs are you referring to specifically?
I think it's more like atheist reaction. Theists started all the hoopla to begin with.

i think is also a belief

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You are assuming that they are reacting based on a belief.
they either know there is no god, or believe there is no god, or believe there is no need to know/believe. still a belief.

You need to define what that belief is.

all humans have a belief system. all humans don't identify as theists, nor atheists. they choose to portray, identify, themselves from their beliefs. a person doesn't identify themselves as conservative/liberal when discussing their moral values; unless it's in respect to political views.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
"I don't believe in deities" would be a lack of a belief.

Is there a belief in particular that you are thinking of? Perhaps a belief in the validity of Skepticism, or Logic?
process of elimination doesn't result in the abscence of everything. just results in an absence of deity, not an absence in beliefs.

still a belief system. a belief system has no requirement of deity. thats why it's called a "belief" system.

the system is made up of belief(s)

the word belief modifies the noun as an adjective.