• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheisms and the supernatural

firedragon

Veteran Member
Care to name some?

You mean like personal names?

If you wish to read research its there on the internet. But then again, I shall cut and paste a quick google search that would give you a pew research.

10 facts about atheists

Just like people who call themselves as belonging to a religion may identify themselves as such may not in an in-depth interview believe in any higher power or a God, there are atheists who identify themselves as atheists who do the opposite.

But I dont have any research that shows how many people who identify as "religious" actually dont believe in a higher power, but there is research to the flip side above.

).

Audie

Veteran Member
You mean like personal names?

If you wish to read research its there on the internet. But then again, I shall cut and paste a quick google search that would give you a pew research.

10 facts about atheists

Just like people who call themselves as belonging to a religion may identify themselves as such may not in an in-depth interview believe in any higher power or a God, there are atheists who identify themselves as atheists who do the opposite.

But I dont have any research that shows how many people who identify as "religious" actually dont believe in a higher power, but there is research to the flip side above.

).

Terrif, yet again the grim spectre of Equivocation raises its hoary head.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
The remark, snooty and childish as it is, belies deep-rooted ignorance. It is also very unemphatic and shows a gross lack of understanding for those atheists who do go through harrowing supernatural encounters. The majority of them demonic in nature. I have a feeling if one were to approach you with their experiences you would answer in your same condescending tone as you do here. It is your nature.

Existence is far more grand and broad than your strict and narrow view of things. And to judge others on your narrow and preconceived ideas of life, full of prejudice and ignorance, is well, just that.

But that is not to say that all encounters are of evil. I know of atheists who have turned to serving the living God after having known him personally in their lives.

Here is something for you to think about. Atheism and satanism are synonymous. The word atheist comes from Greek, a - without, theos - god. It literally means without God. Satan means Resistor. Satan is in opposition to God. And in fact many satanists are outright atheists in proclamation. So it is of little wonder that atheism and satanism go hand in hand, they are both in opposition to Jehovah God.

It is amazing how you can criticize a person for ignorance while simultaneously revealing your own. Atheism and Satanism are not synonymous. Some Satanists are theists, others are not. Many words have meaning beyond their literal etymology. For example, you being a Jehovah’s Witness does not necessarily mean you have literally laid eyes on Jehovah himself.

Secondly, if you have such undeniably convincing evidence of supernatural encounters with demons, share it. Don't keep us all in suspense.

Audie

Veteran Member
So, you've never bothered, then, to formulate a logical justification for your opinion. You just go around spitting it out whenever the opportunity arises, completely unquestioned, and then become rude and condescending with anyone who dares to ask for some sort of logical justification. Is that it? Because that certainly seems to be what you're implying, here.

You are so determined to make things into some "philosophical" construct!

Maybe you do formulate logical truth statements about why you ignore flying tirtle claims. You do, uh, right?

To understandcan atheist you would have to
understand why we would not bother.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Its not necessary to not believe in any supernatural as an atheist, but I think the majority disregard it, or at least hold the position that they are being irrational for doing so.

Simply because, dismissing God(s) which by default are supernatural, its rather hypocritical to then claim that their own "supernatural" believe is correct, without being sceptical about it. :)

Eh. Sometimes I think atheism for some is more about the christian version of god more so than the supernatural itself. It does depend on how they define the term. Many believers don't compare it to unicorns as many (RFians) atheists do. So, I guess it depends?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I read the bible, i mean read it from beginning to end ad opposed to cherry licking which verses the preacher recommends. I think thats enough to make any open mind ask questions. When there are no answers, or because god those questions made me at least look deeper.

As i said, people can think whatever they want, and believe me there are some very lateral thinkers on RF when it comes to something they don't understand, like how simple atheism is

I can see personal experience can shape your views. One reason why it strikes my curiosity is I never had a christian (or religious) childhood and never had a belief in god et cetera in order to "base my" atheist position from other than strict definition. So, the "additions" and the reasons/justifications for disbelief is interesting when the subject doesn't get to personal as to the deeper reasons why people don't believe god exists rather than the statement meant as is.

firedragon

Veteran Member
You called atheism a religion

I didnt really call it a "religion". I said other religions.

Nevertheless, I think its a problem with definitions. I presume you define religion as some kind of group that believes in supernatural things like God and other things. My understanding comes from the historical meaning of the word religion stemming from Religare and where it was referring to a binding like the Roman army soldier who had a "binding" to the empire.

Anyway, you got hooked onto this trivia and missed the point. No problem.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Atheism is a disbelief in all god(s). Atheists can still believe in supernatural and paranormal things but most generally atheists are also materialists meaning they only believe in the physical/material aspects of reality. They usually don't believe in things like ghosts and spirits.

That's the general consensus I get on RF. Though, maybe atheists arent materialists they just don't use religious language to communicate what religious use as spiritual jargon/concepts.

Same (human) experiences, different "language".

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No.

Take me: I think that the whole notion of "the supernatural" is incoherent and ultimately meaningless, so I *can't* disbelieve in the supernatural as a category.

The statement "the supernatural does not exist" is only meaningful if the term "supernatural" is meaningful; I say that the term "supernatural" is meaningless.

Would you use an alternative word for it?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Not sure where you read that, but it's simply not true. Atheism is nothing more than a lack of belief in any god or gods. It may be true that many if not most atheist have a lack of belief in any god or gods based upon a lack of verifiable evidence, but it certainly isn't a requirement. It's conceivable that you could have an atheist who doesn't believe in any god or gods based upon the fact that the magical pixies that they do believe in told them that no god or gods exist.

I usually go by strict definition. Some atheists say they are atheists because they don't believe in the supernatural. (Not believing in deities existence and believing in the supernatural sounds like a contradiction to some). Others, less commonly, pose that the reason why atheist don't believe in god is lack of evidence; I hear and read the first point more than the second.