• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism or No Intelligence Allowed

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Programmers need a working knowledge of logic even if it's not formally presented:

If wishes were horses
then God is a tree
else God is a giraffe
end if

Real programmers would vomit to hear me described as a programmer...lol.

But otherwise yes.
And I could rustle up a couple of for...next loop jokes if we're going full geek.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
God cannot be proven by the intellect. The heart's proof of God is beyond logic.

This is getting to unnecessary semantics. Whether it's the heart or intellect realizes we exist in God's vision and can't exist anywhere else, it doesn't matter, it's a reminder that proves God exists.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
When an atheist says: "I am atheist because there is no proof that God exists", he says a lie.
The same illogical level: "I am atheist because the sky is blue."

You need to work on the difference between honest ignorance, lying, and simply being wrong.

These are all different things. I wouldn't suggest calling atheists 'liars' is in any way holistically accurate, nevermind that it appears pretty ironically judgey to me.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I would say that he is a "soft atheist". Atheists include those with just a lack of belief in a god. They do not have to say "there is no god".

Yup. Dawkins makes the point from time to time that certainty on questions of God are problematic. But he is pretty sure, and that makes him a weak/soft/implicit/agnostic atheist (like me). Not agnostic.

We Never Know

No Slack
This is not quite right. One can prove some negatives, but not all.

Here is an example. You are in Chicago to meet a friend of yours. You get a frantic call from him saying that the Sear's building just blew up (sorry, I don't know what they call it today). You are just a block or two away and drive by it. It is still there unharmed. You just proved that an event did not happen.

Thats not really disapproving a negative. Its dispelling a rumor.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Dr. Richard Dawkins in a religious movie [Expelled: No Intelligence
Allowed] said something like this: ``I am atheist because there is no
proof that God exists." I believe it is incomplete, so, let me try to read
between the lines: ``I am atheist because there is no [globally accepted]
proof that God exists and I want to be atheist." Many respectful and valid
theists say: ``I am the theist because I want so, however, there is no
scientific proof for God yet." Richard would demonstrate an un-emotional
reason to be an atheist if he would say: ``I am atheist because there
is [non-debunked] proof that God does not exist."
There is no proof via reason or science that God exists OR that he does not exist.

Anyone that moves out of a place of absolute agnosticism is opting for a faith position, either atheism or theism.

We Never Know

No Slack
Well, there are proofs in math.

God cannot be proven by the intellect. The heart's proof of God is beyond logic.

A god cannot be proven or disproven with belief, science, want, need, thought, etc.
Anyone seeking prove or disproof of a god just as well be chasing unicorns

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Dr. Richard Dawkins ...: ``I am atheist because there is no proof that God exists."
As I read him, that's only part of it, but it is indeed part of it.
Richard would demonstrate an un-emotional reason to be an atheist if he would say: ``I am atheist because there is [non-debunked] proof that God does not exist."
No, that's not right. Dawkins is not obliged to prove a negative. If someone says "God exists" then they carry the can for showing God exists.

Dawkins is however a long way ahead of me. He apparently understands the claim "a real God exists" well enough to deny it.

I don't. I have no idea what real thing the word "God" is intended to denote, and I've never heard a definition of "God" sufficient to let us determine whether any real candidate, any real suspect, is God or not.

And without such a definition, as far as I can tell anyone who speaks of a real God has no coherent concept of what they're actually talking about ─ whether the speaker be the Pope, a Grand Mufti, Richard Dawkins or anyone else.

Instead, they're talking about an idea, a concept, an imaginary entity; and ideas, concepts, imaginary entities have the advantage of being anything the speaker would like them to be.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
To quote Clarence Darrow again: I don't believe in God because I don't believe in Mother Goose.

Meaning: since God and MG have exactly the same evidence of existing, there is no rational reason to think one is more plausible than the other, once we remove preconditioning, cultural influence, emotions, wishful thinking, and other extra rational arguments.

Ciao

- viole

exchemist

Veteran Member
Well, there are proofs in math.

Mathematics is not science.

It is a sort of system of quantitative logic, with no necessary relation to the physical world.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
However he is correct in saying that "there is no proof that god exists". If you think that statement is incorrect then please provide evidence
The above statement is not correct

More accurate would be: "There is no proof that god exists, as far as I am aware of"

firedragon

Veteran Member
There is no proof via reason or science that God exists OR that he does not exist.

You mean to say no one has every given you any proof for the existence of God? Or you are saying "No proof whatsoever"?

If someone could provide you proof would you say "No Proof"? You won't accept any proof of course, that's a given, and that's no problem. But you must say you won't accept them, not that there is "no proof". Because people do offer proof, though you won't accept any of them.

PureX

Veteran Member
It's a fool, indeed, that thinks God's existence depends on "proof". And that goes for theists as well as atheists. What you or I "believe" has no bearing at all on the nature or existence of God.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member

Another day, another fallacious OP filled with strawmen, unsupported assumption and references to an exposed intellectually dishonest "documentary".