• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not a default position

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Nonsense as I included the concept of God which is a metaphysical claim requiring no direct religion but is based on first cause arguments.
Plenty of people believe in gods that aren't claimed to be "first causes". These gods don't count as gods in your approach?

The concept of God in a strictly philosophical context; first cause, teleological, ontological, moral, etc arguments.
So now we've gone from the generic term "god" to "God-with-a-capital-G"... and even a very specific form of that: the "classical monotheism" model of God.

I was right: you ARE only talking about some gods.

That it covers all concepts of God from philosophical, metaphysical and religious.

See above.
So your definition excludes polytheism and "non-classical" monotheism. In your mind, were the ancient Greeks, for instance, atheists?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A god that cannot create?
seems a contradiction in terms
There's that monotheistic chauvinism again.

Even if you don't understand why, many people believe in gods that aren't creator-gods. An honest approach to how we define atheism has to take these beliefs into account.

Shad

Veteran Member
Plenty of people believe in gods that aren't claimed to be "first causes". These gods don't count as gods in your approach?

These type of gods are still deities. Look at your own use of words. "People believe in gods" You are categorizing these "entities" as gods before question if I treat what you just called gods as gods....

So now we've gone from the generic term "god" to "God-with-a-capital-G"... and even a very specific form of that: the "classical monotheism" model of God.

General and/or specific does not matter.

I was right: you ARE only talking about some gods.

Nope, you are confused by your own flawed ideas.

So your definition excludes polytheism and "non-classical" monotheism. In your mind, were the ancient Greeks, for instance, atheists?

No as I specifically included those, read my post again. Again making up my argument in your head rather than reading my actual argument.

http://www.religiousforums.com/thre...default-position.178494/page-151#post-4448338