• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is a lie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pah

Uber all member
chamberlain said:
The lie will be found out. Then we will see. There will be truth for them to reckon with.

You are merely asserting that Atheism is a lie - you have offered no proof of the truth you hold for it to be a lie.

Heh, yes, Sprinkles, I am a skeptic. I am the first to write off 'spiritual' encounters as psychological. I have to have hard proof of something before I am even mildly interested. if something walks up and says 'hi' to me, the first thing i do is question my sanity. acceptance does not equate gullibity if you are a hard sell. and yes, I do believe in demoic possession. every case of it I have seen however, the demon is some long repressed facet of the persons personality. even if it vests them with powers seemingly beyond normal ability. a man on an adrenalin rush is inhumanly strong, but not actually inhuman. i do not pretend to fully understand, but I attempt to apply reason to it.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
chamberlain said:
To all those children who are talking about cat bridges and cant see the forest from the trees, i think its past your bedtime.

This child was pointing out a simple fact, that there are multiple perceptions of 'truth' and that one religious idea cant fit everyone. Sorry if my analogy
escaped you, perhaps you should sleep on it. :roll:

Mr.Spinkles said:
You are a skeptic? I thought you believed in demonic posession and spirits and whatnot.

the skeptic keeps his/her mind open to the possibility, but looks at each case and accepts or discards them on thier individual merits.
the unbeliver chooses not to believe at all.

I have seen things I can not scientifically explain away as fake, thus untill more evidence is found I believe in what I saw. I have also seen many things that I have been able to find logical causes for and thus find those things to be fun examples too keep me on my toes.

Take sea monsters for an example. I do believe that the chance of 'sea monsters' is pretty good, the ocean is a big place. I believe in the Kraken, with the discovery of the giant squid and some evidence for the 'collosal squid' the Kraken makes sence. At least as far as the idea that the anchient people may have found a washed up giant squid and then elaborated. As for Nessie, I'm not holding my breath, all the evidence points to there being nothing in the loch apart from the occasional sturgeon.

Thus as a skeptic I can both believe in sea monsters and disbelieve in them as the facts allow.

Much like with religion, the believer and the unbeliever will both find a way to explain away all evidence to the contrary of thier stance. The evidence isn't good enough, its biased, it too unscientific and so on.

And yes, Chamberlain, lies will come out, on both sides. Its how you choose to deal with them that counts. 8)

If faith is so dependant on EVERYTHING being true in a religion then you are blind, and I personally can not conceve of God wanting people to be blind.

wa:do

Yes, well... What Painted Wolf said. frankly she said it all much better than I, so I will hide behind her for a little while. :mrgreen:

painted wolf said:
I have seen things I can not scientifically explain away as fake, thus untill more evidence is found I believe in what I saw.
That doesn't sound very open minded. To be a true skeptic, you would still have to consider the possibility that these things can be explained scientifically as fake....not just believe in them automatically.

the unbeliver chooses not to believe at all.
If that is your definition of an unbeliever, then I am not an unbeleiver. Just a skeptic who has never seen evidence for spirits and demons.

Ceridwen018

chamberlain,

Atheism is a lie from an atheist to himself as well as those he speaks about it to.

Because you know, believing in something that has absolutely no evidence to back it up (aka, god) runs no risk of turning out to be a lie.

You see a mind is like a parachute, it only works when you open it

I couldn't agree more, however, one must pair their open-mindedness with logic. Take the bible for example: it takes a great deal of open-mindedness to accept such a book, however, once that open-mindedness is paired with logic, it suddenly seems unrealistic. Having an open mind is highly necessary, but that doesn't mean that you have to accept everything you hear.

Atheists just put their life in a box. Birth, breath in and out a few million times then drop off the perch. nothing meaningful before during or after their lifespan.

Why don't you let us speak for ourselves, eh? I experience every single emotion that you do, with the same intensity. I get pissed at my parents and plan to love my future husband-- are these not meaningful aspects of life? God gives your life meaning, and thats great! But I have found meaning within myself, and don't need someone else telling me what to do to be happy and feel secure.

ONLY if a christian is headed for eternal paradise after death thats great.
WHEREAS an atheist is bound for hell.

Rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, baby. Wacha!

Christianity isnt 100% 10/10 proven on paper thats why its a faith.

Mmmm...more like 0/10, actually.

Not a blind faith because there is strong evidence for what we believe

You sure about that? How about you slap some of that evidence down for us all right now?

But there is nothing lost in being a chritstian yet everything to gain.
go on atheists you have nothing to lose, find meaning to your life and release i from the box you placed it in.

If I go by that philosophy, I'd also have to accept Allah and Zeus and Isis, just to be safe...Oh, and don't forget the amazingly terrible invisible Pink Unicorn.

i dare you

And I dare you to put on your logical thinking cap and analyze everything you believe.

Ceridwen018

Here is an example:

Suppose that we could speak with an embryo in his mother's womb and that you would tell him that the embryonic life is only a short one after which follows a real, long life. What would the embryo answer? He would say what you atheists answer to us, when we speak to you about paradise and hell. He would say that the life in the mother's womb is the only one and that everything else is religious foolishness.

The difference of course, being that this 'real long life' following life in the womb can be proven...

Why was it necessary to grow in knowledge and wisdom that we can use no more? Why do arms, legs and eyes grow on an embryo? IT IS FOR WHAT FOLLOWS. So it is with us here. We grow in experience, knowledge and wisdom for what follows. We are prepared to serve on a higher level that follows death.

What could you possible need knowledge and wisdom for in eternal paradise? What about babies who die-- the don't have knowlege or wisdom. Do they go to hell?

When an engineer has built a bridge, the fact that a cat can pass over the bridge is no proof that the bridge is good. A train must pass over it to prove its strength. The fact that you can be an atheist when everything goes well does not prove the truth of atheism. It does not hold up in moments of great crisis.

Sooo, just because people tend to turn to the emotional support provided by religion during hard times, it is proven? The fact that you can be a Christian when everything goes well does not prove it. it does not hold up to arguments of great skepticism.

I believe in God like I believe in the sun. Not because I see it, but because by it, I see everything else.

I don't 'believe' in the sun. I recognize its existence as a proven fact. If the sun were not visibly apparent, yet light still shone upon the earth, it would make just as much sense to attribute the light to her holiness, the invisible pink unicorn, as it would to attribute it to a giant yellow orb.

chamberlain said:
The lie will be found out. Then we will see. There will be truth for them to reckon with.
Let me ask you a question: if a Muslim came up to you and said "You Christians are going to hell for equating the prophet Jesus to Allah. You're all going to pay the judgement for not heeding Muhammad's word.....if you reject his message, you will pay the price. Allah is truly just, peace be upon Him."

Would you care at all about this Muslim's empty threats? Would you respect his opinions, considering he has just told you that he knows God better than you do? Finally, what would you think of him implying that you Christians are just misguided Muslims who have chosen to reject Muhammad's message (and will pay the price)?

Now, think about what you said earlier about atheists going to hell, and you may see where I am going with this...

Try explaining something like love with logic. Dont get me wrong logic works in most situations but just because you cant rationalise everything that happens around you doesn't stop it happening.

Maryanne

To LeaderNotFollower,who wrote:

If God is an all-loving character, why didn't you feel this so-called love and peace before you started believing and praying? Why don't I feel it?
The bible:
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."

"But in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."

We are all God's children, no?
Bible: "How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God. And that is what we are."

Thanks Chamberlain! :mrgreen:

To PaintedWolf who wrote:
If faith is so dependant on EVERYTHING being true in a religion then you are blind, and I personally can not conceve of God wanting people to be blind.
Jesus says to one of the disciples: "I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me."

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Mr. Spinkles

I am a skeptic as well, I certenly don't believe every ghost story I hear. Nevertheless I have had experiences that convinced me that thier is some chance 'spirits' are real. Now if I get evidence in the future that what I experienced was a 'natural phenominon'(sp?) then I will mark it off my list of 'spooky stuff' and put it in 'wierd things/ solved' list. For now though, unless I am diagnosed with some sort of perceptual ailment (scitzophrenia maybe?) I'll have to say I did infact see something 'spooky'

marryanne said:
Jesus says to one of the disciples: "I am sending you to them to open their eyes and turn them from darkness to light, so that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me."

"I am a red man. If the Great Spirit had desired me to be a white man he would have made me so in the first place. He put in your heart certain wishes and plans, in my heart he put other and different desires. Each man is good in his sight. It is not necessary for Eagles to be Crows. -Sitting Bull

"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" -Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket"

"We understand that your religion is written in a book; if it was intended for us as well as you, why has not the Great Spirit given it to us, and not only to us, but why did he not give to our forefathers the knowledge of that book, with the means of understanding it rightly?" - Sogoyewapha, Red Jacket

anyway, as I said earlier, god made everyone different (like we make differnt bridges ) Atheists are just another bridge. (not the bridge I would take, but hey, that is why we have choices) Your book says one thing they believe in another, that is the way people are. Personally I can't base my life on a book, just like you can't base your life on not having that book.

wa:do

Gunnard

What is faith?

What is it truly when you believe in something day in and day out?
having your faith forever reinforced by the cozy little place in your head
of how life is supposed to be, away from the storm that is reality.

The naysayers may say that their faith is true faith,
but if you peel back the layers and get to the core they think know without a doubt.

This goes for atheists and religious persons alike
Nobody is exempt from this.

Ceridwen018

"How are we all the chldren of god, yet Jesus is his only begotten son?"

:lol: Oh lordy, that's pretty good!

tumble_weed

XD! nice

however I'm going to type a real post instead of two letters...what I would like to know is what exactly makes Jesus so special? Is it him tricks (water into wine)? His leadership? His originality? Charisma?

I know a man called David Copperfield. He's fantastic at doing magic tricks, in fact he's one of the best magicians there is. He is a great leader too. He draws crowds of thousands and he earns their trust enough to "make them disappear". Originality, sure he's original, his magic tricks are really unique, also combined with comedy and performance. Charisma. Definitely!...How many people worship him?

Atheism...all it seems is that each religion is another religion's lie

chamberlain said:
nothing meaningful before during or after their lifespan.

chamberlain said:
go on atheists you have nothing to lose, find meaning to your life and release i from the box you placed it in.

i dare you

Well....so you mean unless you're a christian your life is meaningless....OK...so 67% of the world lead meaningless lives....good point.

chamberlain said:

And you're saying atheists are liars but the lie hasn't been found yet?

Now you see I haven't found any real evidence that God actually exists...other than it says in the bible that God exists so he must...it all seems to be circular logic...there is not actual scientific proof that he exists...infact I agree religions in general all seem to be purely psychological. As it was said before we cannot be conscious after we die. if you measure the brain waves of a dead people....it would just be flat. There would be no sign of consciousness

Pah

Uber all member
chamberlain said:
wheres the proof God doesn't exist?

There is no need for us to prove God doesn't exist The burden is on the one who affirms that God exists.

There is no discussion for things assuumed not to exist until someone says that it does exist.

Ceridwen018

pah, I agree.

chamberlain,

Do you believe in unicorns? Of course not. Why? Because there is no evidence for them. The only counts of someone actually seeing or talking to one are contained in stories which we readily accept as myths, and fancy fairytales can't be used as evidence!...hmmm, that analogy got deeper than I thought it would!

In science, a lack of evidence warrants nonexistence. I mean, are you wanting archeologists to uncover an ancient stone tablet which reads "GOD DOES NOT EXIST"? I guess that could be counted as evidence against god...

If we thought like you, we would all have to believe in unicorns because there is not tangible evidence against them. We would also have to believe in fuglyploofs. You might say, "That's ridiculous-- you totally just pulled the word 'fuglyploof' out of your butt." Perhaps...but where is your evidence against their existence, eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.