• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism doesn't exist?:)

dianaiad

But that's not what generalizing means. When we generalize, we take a one characteristic thing and represent as a whole. If I don't like seafood, it doesn't mean that I don't like all the food that comes from the sea.

Uh, yes, it does.

So if you are anti a particular type of theist, ie Catholics, Mormans, Muslims etc, you are opposed those particular type of theist. [/quote[

And when you are, it is that particular type of theism that is named. Anti-Catholic, anti-Mormon, anti-Muslim etc.

And we generalize it by using the general term, which is theist.

No. "theist' is the all inclusive term that covers ALL theists and theism, just as atheism That's why it is possible to have an anti-theist Christian, someone being a Christian that is opposed to a particular type of theist(s).

No. Theism is an all inclusive term that describes ALL theists and theism. Atheism is an all inclusive term that describes ALL atheists and atheism.

That's why both terms have very pared down definitions, so that the qualities that make one a theist (or atheist) are qualities that are shared by ALL theists or atheists.

Atheism...in general...means 'lack of belief in any god or gods.' That's it. No matter what subset of atheism you ALSO belong to, "strong' atheism, ignosticism, anti-theism, you begin with a 'lack of belief in any god or gods."

Theism is the opposite. In general, it means 'a belief in or worship of a god or gods." No matter what subset of theism you belong to; agnosticism, Abrahamic, pagan, Hindu, whatever...you first begin with a 'belief in or worship of a god or gods."

So if you are anti-atheism, you are against atheism in general and indeed, ALL atheists.
If you are anti-theist, you are against theism IN GENERAL and ALL THEISTS.

You can't be an atheist who is against all atheism. You can only be against the particular FORM of atheism that isn't yours.
If you are a theist, you can't be against all theism. You can only be against the form or forms of theism that aren't yours.

So a theist can be anti-Catholic, or anti-Semetic, or anti-muslim, or anti--pagan....absolutely.
And he can be anti-atheist. But he can't be anti-THEIST, because that would mean he is anti-against his own beliefs. Contradictory indeed.

An atheist can't be anti-atheist. He can be anti-'strong' atheism. He can be anti-ignosticism. He can be anti-wishy washy atheism. He can be anti American Atheists.
But he can't be anti-atheist.

Stop twisting the meaning of words to make yourself feel better. It's not a matter of who is meaner, or who persecutes whom more. It's a matter of logical thought and language.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
It's quite simple...atheists don't believe in the worship of idols.
Except for Batman and Superman, and Patrick of course.
One can do the worship one does, in silence in one's own room.
The Cosmos is everywhere, why pick a place for this god,
in your heart and mind, you know that He can't be everywhere !

dianaiad

Yes. That's why being anti those are anti-theist.

(sigh)

ONLY if you are willing to acknowledge that those who oppose strong atheists as being 'anti-atheist."

Anti-Catholics are anti-CATHOLICS. They aren't anti-every other sort of theist.

Or are you trying to claim that the only true theists are the ones you don't like? As in...if you are anti-Catholic, then only Catholics are theist?

I am very much against atheistic government leaders who make laws against religion and enforce those laws with lethal means. That doesn't mean I'm 'anti-atheism.' It just means that I'm against the sort of atheism that is expressed in that way.

I'm QUITE sure that you would be greatly incensed if I decided that all atheists are out to eliminate theism by any means possible, and was therefore anti-atheism, wouldn't you?

but you are committing the same fallacy here...deciding that if anybody is against any one particular brand of theism, that they are against ALL theism.

Ayjaydee

Catchy title. A-theism means something like No theism. And it's rare maybe almost impossible that somebody would not believe in God 100%. Not even a 0.01% that maybe God created this world.
And if he/she thinks that there is a very small percentage so, than it's not atheism; and still he/she will call himself an atheist.
BTW, a famous said or wrote something like that.
Not impossible at all

night912

(sigh)

ONLY if you are willing to acknowledge that those who oppose strong atheists as being 'anti-atheist."
Of course, I'm willing to be honest, why deny something that has been shown as facts? Strong atheists are afterall, atheists. There's all sorts of anti-atheists, such as anti-atheist Christians, anti-atheist Muslims, etc.

Anti-Catholics are anti-CATHOLICS.
Obviously. Of course they are also anti-theist, Catholics, by definition, are theists.

They aren't anti-every other sort of theist.
That's why I just called them anti-theists.

Or are you trying to claim that the only true theists are the ones you don't like? As in...if you are anti-Catholic, then only Catholics are theist?
No, your no true Christians/theists fallacy is your own, I'll let you use it since you're already using the strawman fallacy.

I am very much against atheistic government leaders who make laws against religion and enforce those laws with lethal means. That doesn't mean I'm 'anti-atheism.' It just means that I'm against the sort of atheism that is expressed in that way.
Of course not. Those have nothing to do with atheism. But you are anti-atheists, because government leaders who is an atheists are atheists. But at least you're being honest now and showing your true colors. Going against government leaders because they're atheist? BTW, it's not an assumption, evidence shows that you are clearly just against those who are atheists who make equal rights laws about religion, but if they are theists, you leave alone. It doesn't come as a surprise, you did support those who use their religion as an excuse for discriminating against gays.

And FYI, majority of the people sitting in those government seats are theists.

I'm QUITE sure that you would be greatly incensed if I decided that all atheists are out to eliminate theism by any means possible, and was therefore anti-atheism, wouldn't you?
See, you've clearly shown that you have no clue what you're saying and/or don't even care anymore cause I actually showed you why you were wrong and instead of addressing my points, you just continue to post repeatly your old arguments and fallacies, which I already shown you how they are wrong. That statement is 100% wrong, why would I call atheists who are out to eliminate theism, anti-atheism? It has nothing to do with atheism.

but you are committing the same fallacy here...deciding that if anybody is against any one particular brand of theism, that they are against ALL theism.
Oh no, the same fallacy called strawman was committed by you. Twice in this post actually. And I don't where you got your way of reasoning from, cause I never knew it was a fallacy to use words with their correct definitions.

amorphous_constellation

Catchy title. A-theism means something like No theism. And it's rare maybe almost impossible that somebody would not believe in God 100%. Not even a 0.01% that maybe God created this world.
And if he/she thinks that there is a very small percentage so, than it's not atheism; and still he/she will call himself an atheist.
BTW, a famous said or wrote something like that.

As much as theists might disagree with them, atheists have a valid point of view too. They don't think of god all the time like a believer does, and so they dedicate their minds to other things. I don't really get what you mean by this whole percentage thing, because this seems like it's more of a binary operation. What exactly, to your mind, would constitute a belief that amounts to 0.01 percent? What does that mean, are you saying that they give god something like a three millisecond mental glance every day? That once a week, they believe in god for six minutes? Atheists choose instead to focus on much more practical things like science and what comes to their physical senses. And that is good. Why should everyone focus on the metaphysical? Maybe some shouldn't

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
But.....the point seems to be moving !
I can't see the goal-posts from here !

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
Sometimes...….beliefs should be mysteries,
there's no goal-post beyond imagination, yes !