• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism biggest "religion" now in USA.. gets associated social ills..

Dell

Asteroid insurance?
God Help Us: Atheism Becomes Largest Religion In U.S.

Spin those statistics... Amazing how the writer blames depression on people having to cope with reality.... The fact you better make most of the life you got because there are no streets of gold to walk on in an after life.

Not that drugs are addictive, causing altered thinking short and long term and is usually associated with draining finances and causing problems in the home and society.

Nah its them damn athiest fault...

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It is amazing how biased some people are, and how eager to blame atheism for things that could not possibly be its fault.

Yerda

Veteran Member
I've noticed that as atheism increases the US is getting older on average. The obvious conclusion is that to stay young you should pray to God.

Also, America is becoming more multi-ethnic. I'm unsure at this stage whether atheism is causing people to become Hispanic or if learning Spanish and getting a suntan is making people confident enough in themselves to reject God.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

Spin those statistics... Amazing how the writer blames depression on people having to cope with reality.... The fact you better make most of the life you got because there are no streets of gold to walk on in an after life.

Not that drugs are addictive, causing altered thinking short and long term and is usually associated with draining finances and causing problems in the home and society.

"To have no religion" isn't the same as atheism.
The former could just be eschewing traditional labels.
I'd like atheism to be dominant in Ameristan, but I doubt that it is.

Shad

Veteran Member

Which just makes religion a placebo by the article's context.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Those darn evil atheists!!! Worship Satan, don’t you know? :rolleyes:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Notice how societal ills are seen and portrayed as being much worse when you're a theist.

I wonder who's actually the depressed one here.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Which just makes religion a placebo by the article's context.
Not much of a placebo when you walk in the church every Sunday, and getting continually reinforced each time on how much of a miserable sinning wretch you are and you got to keep doing better ad infinitum.

That's gotta take its toll on a person's psyche after awhile.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Atheism is no social ill. There are a lot of things that get attached to atheism that are social ills.

The only point about atheism i might consider myself, is that with many atheists there is no emphasis on moral and spiritual principles. Spirituality does not have to be associated with ghosts, and non physical realities. Spirituality is about the concept of love and what produces love. Love of self, love of others and how that comes about.

I think a lot of atheists might fall into a trap that there is only physical causation. Conceptual motivation is every bit as important as physical causation. If you have good spiritual principles and concepts then the life of an atheist is more fulfilling then ever getting caught up in many religious fantasies mixed with spiritual ideas.

Spirituality is an abused word, and really does not ever need be attached to all the mumbo jumbo it gets attached to.

I am a spiritual atheist. And that for me means nothing about whether i believe in a non physical reality or not. There are motivations conducive to love, and motivations that are not.

Shad

Veteran Member
Not much of a placebo when you walk in the church every Sunday, and getting continually reinforced each time on how much of a miserable sinning wretch you are and you got to keep doing better ad infinitum.

Yah but if you admit how much of a horrible person you are now you get the rest of infinity to live in utopia like a robot.

That's gotta take its toll on a person's psyche after awhile.

I bet it does especially as there are actual religious movements that punish their bodies as part of the whole sin dynamic. Look up the self-flagellation and religion.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Can't help but quote some of that silly link: "Social scientists have long since established the link between religiosity and life satisfaction. As social psychologist Sonja Lyubomirsky observes, people who attend religious services several times each week are nearly twice as likely as those who worship less than once a month to describe themselves as “very happy.” Such psychologists simply state the obvious: the belief that God loves you and that you will live with him in eternity offers greater consolation than the view of death as a dirt nap that stiffens you into worm food."

Yes, as I wander back in history...those church-goers were happy and content to own, and beat nearly to death, other humans as slaves. Church-goers who thought nothing of imprisoning others for the religious views, their sexuality, or any number of other things.

Here's something to think about: "is satisfaction, or 'describing yourself as very happy'" the only measure that we should care about? How good a life have I lived if I've been happy by not giving a rat's *** about the horrible injustices we humans are wont to inflict on others?

Self-satisfaction is, in the end, entirely self-serving...even if it comes from believing that something you can't know "loves" you...no matter what you do.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Interestingly the incidence of drug abuse, other crime, unwanted pregnancy, abortion etc are higher (percentagewise) among christians than they are among atheists.

Maybe some christians see this as a reason of opting out of the race for god.

BTW atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Nothing more, nothing less

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Interestingly the incidence of drug abuse, other crime, unwanted pregnancy, abortion etc are higher (percentagewise) among christians than they are among atheists.

Maybe some christians see this as a reason of opting out of the race for god.

BTW atheism : disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

Nothing more, nothing less
In my extended family, no heathens have had out of wedlock babies.
But in the Catholic wing (an errant former sibling), all of the whelps are ba$tard$.
(Note: The prohibited word is used in the accurate technical sense.)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But in the Catholic wing (an errant former sibling), all of the whelps are ba$tard$.

I am not surprised

tas8831

The DailyWire... Isn't that the Alt-Right Munchkin's baby? The guy who DESTROYS leftists with FACTS that are not actually FACTS but OPINIONS presented as FACTS?

tas8831

I am the only atheist in my family. I have been married for more than 20 years. Only marriage, no divorces, no ba$tard kids out there. Didn't have our first kid for almost 10 years.
3 of my 4 sisters had out of wedlock births. Of the 3, 2 have been married multiple times. Any guesses as to which of them are the most religious? Any guesses as to which are currently Trump supporters?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am the only atheist in my family. I have been married for more than 20 years. Only marriage, no divorces, no ba$tard kids out there. Didn't have our first kid for almost 10 years.
3 of my 4 sisters had out of wedlock births. Of the 3, 2 have been married multiple times. Any guesses as to which of them are the most religious? Any guesses as to which are currently Trump supporters?
In my family....or ex-family in the Catholic wing, they're
all rabidly anti-Trump, anti-Republican, Democrats.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
It is amazing how biased some people are, and how eager to blame atheism for things that could not possibly be its fault.

Now now Luis. We had this conversation.like a year ago. You said yourself that if Atheism ever got bigger than religion that Athiest would be up to the task of taking the responsibility of these social ills.

Not quite so easy now that you are the blame of all the world problems eh?