• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism as Religion under First Amendment: Ruling by Federal Circuit Court of Appeals

Do you agree or disagree?

• Total voters

opuntia

Religion is Law
According to the ruling of the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, decided August 19, 2005, atheism is religion under the First Amendment. See Kaufman v. McCaughtry, Case No. 03-C-027-C. Their ruling states:

"Atheism is, among other things, a school of thought that takes a position on religion, the existence and importance of a supreme being, and a code of ethics. As such, we are satisfied that it qualifies as Kaufman's religion for purposes of the First Amendment claims he is attempting to raise."

Many, I am sure, would be incensed by this decision, proclaiming atheism an equal to many religions. But I would agree with the Court that atheism could be considered a form of religion. My reasoning follows:

Let us consider the words contained in Exodus 20:3 (KJV): "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." God places himself above all things that can be worshipped, even the worship of no god. Whoever worshipped someone or something else besides God places him- or herself in the category of worshipping other gods. As unbelief is in opposition to belief, then atheism can form a religion distinct from general religion.

What can be the impact of this legal decision in the United States? Dr. Derek H. Davis of Baylor University wrote that atheism, if recognized by the courts in general, would be scrutinized as any other religion.

"For those who are concerned about atheism qualifying as religion constitutionally, they might take comfort in realizing that at the very least, such a result prohibits the government, per Establishment Clause standards, from ever advancing or promoting atheism in the same way it is prohibited from advancing any religion." Journal of Church and State (Autumn 2005).

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I recently participated in another thread about whether atheism is a religion or not. Theologically speaking, no it isn't. It by itself contains no content. But I did say that under certain circumstances it serves as the functional equivalent of a religion. This is one of those circumstances. Legally atheism has to be considered a religion, simply because considering it as such then confers equal protection to atheists under the first amendment as it does to a member of any other religion. The Supreme Court has been consistently extremely liberal when it comes to the definition of "religion" for this reason. If we start to say that some things are not religions, then some people get excluded from 1st amendment protection.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
opuntia said:
"For those who are concerned about atheism qualifying as religion constitutionally, they might take comfort in realizing that at the very least, such a result prohibits the government, per Establishment Clause standards, from ever advancing or promoting atheism in the same way it is prohibited from advancing any religion." Journal of Church and State (Autumn 2005).
In what way is atheism being advanced or promoted by the government?

opuntia

Religion is Law
lilithu said:
In what way is atheism being advanced or promoted by the government?
The government per se is prohibited from either advancing or restricting religion, it is to remain neutral in the realms of doctrine and practice. Godless you might say. Communism as a government closely fits how our government reacts to religion. Communism forcibly excoriated religion and U.S. government remains forcibly neutral--although our democratic form of government is not to be hostile towards religion. Atheism is a close cousin to neutrality exhibited by our government, so atheism could be closely allied with our government if left unchecked under our constitutional processes. There is no state religion so it can be seen that our government does not represent any form of religion--at least according to the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...." Government neutrality could bond with atheism.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
opuntia said:
The government per se is prohibited from either advancing or restricting religion, it is to remain neutral in the realms of doctrine and practice. Godless you might say. Communism as a government closely fits how our government reacts to religion. Communism forcibly excoriated religion and U.S. government remains forcibly neutral--although our democratic form of government is not to be hostile towards religion. Atheism is a close cousin to neutrality exhibited by our government, so atheism could be closely allied with our government if left unchecked under our constitutional processes. There is no state religion so it can be seen that our government does not represent any form of religion--at least according to the First Amendment: "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...." Government neutrality could bond with atheism.
I've read this several times and cannot deduce your reasoning. What does communism have to do with any of this? :confused: Communism is an economic paradigm, not a religious one. The government is neutral with respect to religion, not hostile. The U.S. is one of the most religious countries in the world. We have a plethora of churches, synagoques, mosques, temples, meeting houses. In Washington DC where I live there is a house of worship on practically every street corner. (I'm not kidding!) If our government were hostile to religion, that would not be the case. Heck, religious organizations even get tax exemptions. In what way is government hostile to religion?

the truth be with us said:
well if it is a religion then there is not separated of church and state. since everything is going toward a none religious view...
If atheism is a religion and everything is going "toward a none religious view," then it is not going towards atheism either. :D

Seriously, I understand what you're saying. Secularism is atheistic. But secularism is not atheism. There is a difference between not talking about God or gods and declaring that there is no God or gods. Secularism is necessary in order for the state to not promote any particular view. Seriously, how else could you do it?

St0ne

Why does it matter? And why of all things would you use scripture as evidence that atheism is a religion? I see no point in even raising this question other than that theists feel that it would cause offense to an atheist and that in itself is quite ungodly.

opuntia

Religion is Law
lilithu said:
I've read this several times and cannot deduce your reasoning. What does communism have to do with any of this? :confused: Communism is an economic paradigm, not a religious one. The government is neutral with respect to religion, not hostile. The U.S. is one of the most religious countries in the world. We have a plethora of churches, synagoques, mosques, temples, meeting houses. In Washington DC where I live there is a house of worship on practically every street corner. (I'm not kidding!) If our government were hostile to religion, that would not be the case. Heck, religious organizations even get tax exemptions. In what way is government hostile to religion?

Communism is a poliltical system or a belief on how a government should operate with respect to the workers or proletariats. Religion was viewed as a hindrance to achieving equality among the masses, hence the word "communism"--commune, communal living.

Here in America, we view religion as a binding agent, a good for society. All I was saying on the aspect of "hostility" is that the U.S. Supreme Court said the government could not be hostile to religion. In fact, the Court said:

"A system of government that makes itself felt as pervasively as ours could hardly be expected never to cross paths with the church. In fact, our State and Federal Governments impose certain burdens upon, and impart certain benefits to, virtually all our activities, and religious activity is not an exception. The Court has enforced a scrupulous neutrality by the State, as among religions, and also as between religious and other activities, but a hermetic separation of the two is an impossibility it has never required." Roemer v. Board of Public Works of Maryland, 426 U.S. 736, 745-746 (1976).

The government system was actually set up to aid religion.

"These words of the First Amendment reflected in the minds of early Americans a vivid mental picture of conditions and practices which they fervently wished to stamp out in order to preserve liberty for themselves and for their posterity. Doubtless their goal has not been entirely reached; but so far has the Nation moved toward it that the expression 'law respecting an establishment of religion,' probably does not so vividly remind present-day Americans of the evils, fears, and political problems that caused that expression to be written into our Bill of Rights." Everson v. Board of Educ., 330 U.S. 1, 8 (1947).

Persecution by political means of minority religions was a grave problem which the Founding Fathers sought to address through the Bill of Rights. Hostility goes against the grain of religious liberty.

Atheism is either neutral or hostile to God. Communism can be considered an atheistic political system, not believing in a God--hostile, not neutral. The U.S. government or democratic system is beneficially neutral toward religion--not hostile to believers. But I am saying that neutrality could be subverted to serve hostility to religion if we are not careful.

Ormiston

I agree with the ruling because the protection is much more important than the label or the logic. I have just as much right to speak about and think about religious issues as the next person and my views are just as valid. Why would anyone vote against it? Is there a disadvantage for atheists?

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
opuntia said:
Atheism is either neutral or hostile to God. Communism can be considered an atheistic political system, not believing in a God--hostile, not neutral. The U.S. government or democratic system is beneficially neutral toward religion--not hostile to believers. But I am saying that neutrality could be subverted to serve hostility to religion if we are not careful.
Namaste Opuntia,

Communism was hostile to religion because communisim (at least as it was practiced) was totalitarian, and therefore any alternative source of authority was a threat to the state. (I just want it to be clear that it was the political aspect of communism, not the economic aspect, that was hostile to religion.) Yes, totalitarianism is the opposite of democracy. But since we are a democratic country and religion is not a threat to our form of government, doesn't that make it unlikely that our neutrality can be subverted to hostility?

opuntia

Religion is Law
lilithu said:
Namaste Opuntia,

Communism was hostile to religion because communisim (at least as it was practiced) was totalitarian, and therefore any alternative source of authority was a threat to the state. (I just want it to be clear that it was the political aspect of communism, not the economic aspect, that was hostile to religion.) Yes, totalitarianism is the opposite of democracy. But since we are a democratic country and religion is not a threat to our form of government, doesn't that make it unlikely that our neutrality can be subverted to hostility?
James Madison did cover that aspect of having a secure form of government, but he also outlined that a majority could subvert ideals under the Constitution.

"If a faction consists of less than a majority, relief is supplied by the republican principle, which enables the majority to defeat its sinister views by regular vote. It may clog the administration, it may convulse the society; but it will be unable to execute and mask its violence under the forms of the Constitution. When a majority is included in a faction, the form of popular government, on the other hand, enables it to sacrifice to its ruling passion or interest both the public good and the rights of other citizens. To secure the public good and private rights against the danger of such a faction, and at the same time to preserve the spirit and the form of popular government, is then the great object to which our inquiries are directed. Let me add that it is the great desideratum by which this form of government can be rescued from the opprobrium under which it has so long labored, and be recommended to the esteem and adoption of mankind." The Federalist No. 10. (http://www.constitution.org/fed/federa10.htm)

Diligence by the citizens of the States and of the United States was key to his argument for sustaining freedoms under the Constitution. But democracy means a vote by the people for whatever they desire--good or ill. Today, the abortion issue is a good example of divided loyalties among the citizens.

Pah

Uber all member
The Bill of Rights is written for an individual. The diligence mentioned is for a individual citizen for protecting rights and freedom from the majority and from the state. Actualization of that dillegence is in the court when law has been mandated that curtails or suppress liberty. Suit is brought. The utlimate arbiter of whether the law is unjust is the Supreme Court. It is done by examination of constitutional law, which includes precedents, that have bearing on the arguements presented.

evearael

Atheism, in the letter of the law, but not necessarily in the hearts of those who practice it, should fall under the catagory of religion.

I do not feel that it will interfere with the separation of church and state because faith or lack thereof does not belong in 99% of government decisions, routines, rules, regulations and laws. There is rarely a need to address it in a neutral government. Of course, this is all ideal and no where near the reality of it...

Pah

Uber all member
The cited case (Kaufman v. McCaughtry, Case No. 03-C-027-C) used McCreary County, Ky. v. American Civil Liberties Union of Ky., 125 S.Ct. 2722 (2005) as precedent where it was held “the principle that the First Amendment mandates government neutrality between religion and religion, and between religion and nonreligion.”

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
opuntia said:
James Madison did cover that aspect of having a secure form of government, but he also outlined that a majority could subvert ideals under the Constitution.

"If a faction consists of less than a majority, relief is supplied by the republican principle, which enables the majority to defeat its sinister views by regular vote. It may clog the administration, it may convulse the society; but it will be unable to execute and mask its violence under the forms of the Constitution. When a majority is included in a faction, the form of popular government, on the other hand, enables it to sacrifice to its ruling passion or interest both the public good and the rights of other citizens. To secure the public good and private rights against the danger of such a faction, and at the same time to preserve the spirit and the form of popular government, is then the great object to which our inquiries are directed. Let me add that it is the great desideratum by which this form of government can be rescued from the opprobrium under which it has so long labored, and be recommended to the esteem and adoption of mankind." The Federalist No. 10. (http://www.constitution.org/fed/federa10.htm)
Yes, that is why Madison (one of my heros btw) advocated for religious diversity:

“If there were a majority of one sect, a bill of rights would be poor protection for liberty. Happily for the states, they enjoy the utmost freedom of religion. This freedom arises from that multiplicity of sects, which pervades America, and which is the best and only security for religious liberty in any society. For where there is such a variety of sects, there cannot be a majority of any one sect to oppress and persecute the rest.”

opuntia said:
Diligence by the citizens of the States and of the United States was key to his argument for sustaining freedoms under the Constitution. But democracy means a vote by the people for whatever they desire--good or ill. Today, the abortion issue is a good example of divided loyalties among the citizens.
Abortion may be a good example of our dividedness, but I don't see it as a problem in the issue of church and state. At least, as long as it's legal it's not a problem. If it were made illegal through the efforts of certain religious groups, it would be a problem. As long as it is legal, it is up to each person, according to her conscience, as influenced by her religious convictions, to decide what she will do. If it were illegal, that would be the imposition of the religious beliefs of one group (even if it were a majority) onto others who do not share those religious beliefs.

Given that we have a president who believes that God put him in the White House and a Supreme Court, the majority of whom are openly religious, I am currently not concerned about the possibility of our government favoring atheism and being hostile to religion. I am much more concerned about a certain narrow brand of Christianity becoming so powerful that it excludes other religions and other forms of Christianity.

Ormiston

lilithu said:
Abortion may be a good example of our dividedness, but I don't see it as a problem in the issue of church and state. At least, as long as it's legal it's not a problem. If it were made illegal through the efforts of certain religious groups, it would be a problem. As long as it is legal, it is up to each person, according to her conscience, as influenced by her religious convictions, to decide what she will do. If it were illegal, that would be the imposition of the religious beliefs of one group (even if it were a majority) onto others who do not share those religious beliefs.

Given that we have a president who believes that God put him in the White House and a Supreme Court, the majority of whom are openly religious, I am currently not concerned about the possibility of our government favoring atheism and being hostile to religion. I am much more concerned about a certain narrow brand of Christianity becoming so powerful that it excludes other religions and other forms of Christianity.

Ditto.

Edit: No more frubals to give. :(

opuntia

Religion is Law
lilithu said:
As long as it is legal, it is up to each person, according to her conscience, as influenced by her religious convictions, to decide what she will do. If it were illegal, that would be the imposition of the religious beliefs of one group (even if it were a majority) onto others who do not share those religious beliefs.

Illegality has already happened in America's past. For me it is not just an academic exercise--I am Native American and grew up within a tribal setting. The American Indians of the 1800s suffered from the Federal Government's attempt to assimilate the Indians into mainstream society. I have felt the residue of those actions in my life.

"For a long time the Indians, regarded as wards of the government, were confined to their reservations--sometimes behind barbed wire--and were often forbidden to leave them without a permit. Far from being given an opportunity to learn to manage their own affairs, they were treated as prisoners or children; the smallest detail was directed and handled for them by the agent. Their religious practices, ceremonies, and organizations were banned, and their children were taken from them, sometimes forcibly, and sent to distant all-Indian schools like Carlisle in Pennsylvania, where they were taught the white men's ways. Some of these Indians, as adults, eventually became assimilated into the white culture; others returned to Indian life on the reservations, and still others became hopelessly lost, unable to make their way successfully among non-Indians, and out of place and scorned when they tried to return to their own people. On the reservations, strong efforts were made to end tribal cultures and ways of life, but no satisfactory substitutes were offered. Traditional means of livelihood had disappeared, but no suitable new economy was introduced. The hunters and warriors, stripped of their dignity and self-respect, were given few manly diversions, and many of them, losing the respect of the women and children, sank into an indolence that withered their souls and turned them, ultimately, to alcohol as an escape and violence as an outlet for their hurts. At the same time, corruption and graft on the part of many agents and hostility and pressures from neighboring whites added to the demoralization of the beaten peoples." Alvin M. Josephy, Jr., The Indian Heritage of America (Alfred A. Knopf, 1978, 1968), pp. 349-350.

A short note on Josephy:

"Alvin M. Josephy, Jr., a leading historian of the American West, was the author of many award-winning books, including The Patriot Chiefs, The Indian Heritage of America, Now That the Buffalo’s Gone, 500 Nations, and A Walk Toward Oregon. He was a vice president and editor of American Heritage magazine, the founding chairman of the board of trustees of the Smithsonian’s National Museum of the American Indian, and president of the Western History Association. Josephy died in the fall of 2005...." http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/catalog/results2.pperl?authorid=53957

The alcoholism rate did climb to the point where some tribes registered a 100 percent alcoholism rate. Today it may be closer the the national average but still high enough to warrant programs on reservations.

The Mormons almost lost all of their church property in the late 1800s. The United States Supreme Court authorized the confiscation of church property and the jailing of individuals who practiced polygamy.

"The following is a timeline of events leading up to the suspension of new polygamous marriages in 1890. During this interval, many attempts were made to achieve statehood for the territory of Utah. All were unsuccessful -- largely because of the widespread practice of polygamy:

"1856: The recently formed Republican Party called, in its national platform, for the abolition of the 'Twin Relics of Barbarism, Slavery and Polygamy.' 5 [footnotes]

"1862: The Mormon practice of polygyny was criminalized by the federal Morrill Anti-Bigamy Law which President Abraham Lincoln signed into law on 1862-JUL-8. There were actually two unrelated federal laws often referred to as the 'Morrill Act;' the other deals with land grants for universities. 7 The anti-bigamy Morrill Act It made bigamy a federal offense and assigned a punishment of up to five years in jail and a $500 fine. The law also annulled all acts passed by the Territory of Utah's Legislative Assembly 'pertaining to polygamy and spiritual marriage.' Finally, in a direct attack on the LDS church, the law placed an upper limit of $50,000 on the real estate holdings that any one religious or charitable organization could hold in any U.S. territory. Any holdings over that amount were to be forfeited to the government. 'The law, however, was not enforced in the Utah territory because Mormons controlled the judicial system. ...Probate courts functioning as local tribunals had jurisdiction over most criminal offenses, and federal indictments for polygamy could not be obtained from grand juries composed of Mormons. ...Thus, despite Congress's efforts, the Mormon Church still exercised considerable control in the [Utah] territory.' 8

"1874: In a test case, George Reynolds, Brigham Young's secretary, volunteered to be charged under the Morrill Act. The Church had claimed that the federal government had no jurisdiction to regulate marriage and other internal church practices. They also claimed that the act was a violation of Mormons' First Amendment rights. He was found guilty, given a two year jail sentence, and ordered to pay a $500 fine.

"1879: The U.S. Supreme Court upheld Reynold's conviction. They declared that the Morrill Act was constitutional, that the government had a right to enforce marital standards, and that polygyny was a barbarous practice.

"1880: LDS leader Wilford Woodruff submitted a revelation he had received from God to church president John Taylor and the Twelve Apostles. God promised retaliation against anyone who seeks '...to hinder my People from obeying the Patriarchal Law of Abraham...your enemies shall not prevail over you.' 5 (This religious law authorized plural marriages.)

"1882: The federal Edmunds Act amended the Morrill Anti-Bigamy Law of 1862. It canceled the citizenship rights of polygamous Mormons. They were no longer allowed to vote, run for public office, or serve on a jury.

"1887: Wilford Woodruff recorded in his journal that '...scores of the Leading Men of the Church [are] in prison and the Presidency and Twelve & many others in Exile for obeying the Law of God.' The federal government passed the Edmunds-Tucker Act as a supplement to the Edmunds Law. This authorized the government to disincorporate the Church and to confiscate its assets.

"1889: Wilford Woodruff, now president, received a revelation from Jesus Christ who promised that he would protect the church's practice of polygamy from attacks by the federal government.

"1890: The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the government could deny the right to vote or hold office to all Mormons who practiced the Law of Abraham, or who merely believed in plural marriage. Later in the year, they ruled that the Edmunds-Tucker Act was constitutional, and that the federal government could repeal the LDS' charter and dissolve the church. The situation had reached a critical point in the Utah territory.

"When the federal government announced that they would start to seize the temples, the LDS Church decided to obey the law. At that time, the Church received a revelation from God that changed church beliefs and practices. The fourth president of the Church, Wilford Woodruff, issued a manifesto (called the 'Great Accommodation') on 1890-SEP-24. It generally suspended the solemnization of new plural marriages for an indefinite interval.

"Woodruff wrote, in part,

"'And I now publicly declare that my advice to the Latter-day Saints is to refrain from contracting any marriage forbidden by the law of the land.'

During the next thirteen and a half years, 'members of the First Presidency individually or as a unit published twenty-four denials that any new plural marriages were being performed. The climax of that series of little manifestoes was the 'Second Manifesto' on plural marriage sustained by a vote of a general conference.' 9

"President Joseph F. Smith's later statement of 1904-APR-6 read, in part:

"'Inasmuch as there are numerous reports in circulation that plural marriages have been entered into contrary to the official declaration of President Woodruff, of September 24, 1890, commonly called the Manifesto... I, Joseph F. Smith, President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, hereby affirm and declare that no such marriages have been solemnized with the sanction, consent or knowledge of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.' 9

"In spite of the denials, a few such marriages were apparently sealed as late as 1910 for trusted leaders of the Church. The polygamous weddings were generally performed secretly in Mexico or Canada.

"U.S. President Cleveland issued a statehood proclamation for Utah on 1896-JAN-4, six years after the manifesto was declared. Although no new polygamous marriages were conducted after the 1920's, existing plural marriages continued to receive strong support from the Church." http://www.religioustolerance.org/lds_poly.htm

The bone of contention was over polygamy, a practice still observed in Islam (limit of 4 wives). The Holy Bible carried references to plural marriages.

"So David [king of Israel and slayer of Goliath] went up thither, and his two wives also, Ahinoam the Jezreelitess, and Abigail Nabal's wife [after he died] the Carmelite." (2 Samuel 2:2: KJV). Cf. 2 Sam. 5:13; 12:7-14; Gen. 16:1-16.

Pah

Uber all member
I wonder if there will be law suits about atheism being taught in public schools. Will the Religious Right demand "equal time"?

opuntia

Religion is Law
Pah said:
I wonder if there will be law suits about atheism being taught in public schools. Will the Religious Right demand "equal time"?
It is likely now that the door to the United States Supreme Court has been opened (by an atheist at that. See case). Some day the Court will probably hear a case on the issue.

"equal protection: an overview

"The Equal Protection Clause of the 14th amendment of the U.S. Constitution prohibits states from denying any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. See U.S. Const. amend. XIV (http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.amendmentxiv.html). In other words, the laws of a state must treat an individual in the same manner as others in similar conditions and circumstances. A violation would occur, for example, if a state prohibited an individual from entering into an employment contract because he or she was a member of a particular race. The equal protection clause is not intended to provide 'equality' among individuals or classes but only 'equal application' of the laws. The result, therefore, of a law is not relevant so long as there is no discrimination in its application. By denying states the ability to discriminate, the equal protection clause of the Constitution is crucial to the protection of civil rights. See Civil Rights and Discrimination (http://www.law.cornell.edu/topics/civil_rights.html).

"Generally, the question of whether the equal protection clause has been violated arises when a state grants a particular class of individuals the right to engage in activity yet denies other individuals the same right. There is no clear rule for deciding when a classification is unconstitutional. The Supreme Court has dictated the application of different tests depending on the type of classification and its effect on fundamental rights. Traditionally, the Court finds a state classification constitutional if it has 'a rational basis' to a 'legitimate state purpose.' The Supreme Court, however, has applied more stringent analysis in certain cases. It will 'strictly scrutinize' a distinction when it embodies a 'suspect classification.' In order for a classification to be subject to strict scrutiny, it must be shown that the state law or its administration is meant to discriminate. Usually, if a purpose to discriminate is found the classification will be strictly scrutinized if it is based on race, national origin, or, in some situations, non U.S. citizenship (the suspect classes). In order for a classification to be found permissible under this test it must be proven, by the state, that there is a compelling interest to the law and that the classification is necessary to further that interest. The Court will also apply a strict scrutiny test if the classification interferes with fundamental rights such as first amendment rights, the right to privacy, or the right to travel. The Supreme Court also requires states to show more than a rational basis (though it does not apply the strictly scrutiny test) for classifications based on gender or a child's status as illegitimate.

"The 14th amendment is not by its terms applicable to the federal government. Actions by the federal government, however, that classify individuals in a discriminatory manner will, under similar circumstances, violate the due process of the fifth amendment. See U.S. Const. amend. V (http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html#amendmentv)."

Website: http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/index.php/Equal_protection

Reactions: Pah

Pah

Uber all member
I have the feeling, even though atheism is considered a religion by the Seventh Court and that may be upheld by the Supreme Court, any lawsuit based on that in public school curriculum will be frivilious. There is no atheistic doctrine to teach, there is no creed, there is no impingment on science or any other subject. It would be very difficult to prove atheism is incorporated into a curriculum and harm is being caused.