• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism and gender

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I never blamed all men and I don't believe there is anything wrong with justified wars.
Yes, your post was aimed at atheists, but it still stands, and this has nothing to do with atheism. The religious are hardly immune from conflict, and probably are more willing to participate in such conflict, given they usually have something to fight over.

Fallen Prophet

Yes, your post was aimed at atheists, but it still stands, and this has nothing to do with atheism. The religious are hardly immune from conflict, and probably are more willing to participate in such conflict, given they usually have something to fight over.
Obviously my post was "aimed at atheists" considering that the question was about atheism.

I still never blamed all men for meaningless wars or dedicating to fight losing battles.

I also never claimed that the religious could not engage in war - so I don't really know what your comment is all about.

Either way - according to the Encyclopedia of Wars - only 6.98% of known/recorded historical conflicts had religion as their primary cause.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'd like to get some theories why Atheism attracts more men than women.
You need a study that includes a frequency function, separately for each sex, for age and how age relates to atheism. Women are really several species as are men. The child becomes a preteen, then a teenager, then goes into some other bracket and so on. If you want to know you'll have to find all that relevant data and collate it.

Faith in numbers: Behind the gender difference of nonreligious Americans
Scholars have long noted that atheism skews male. Meanwhile, critics have pointed toward the apparent dominance of male authors in the “new atheism” movement as evidence of a “boys club.” Indeed, a quick scan of the best-selling books on atheism on Amazon indicates that almost all of them are written by male authors.
Specifically American males skew atheist. Why? Perhaps churches are like temples for worshiping some man (or small group) that does all the talking, all the deciding, all the doing. Everything seems to be about attending and doing what one is told. Pray for the minister. Listen to the minister. Whatever verbiage is used to explain this away, I think it weighs upon a man's mind; and when he begins to wonder about God which he associates with church he has a different recollection of church and memory about God than a woman does. Women just like it more. They feel comforted I think when there is a strong leader talking to them week after week. Men want to be doers and are left out in the cold in such an arrangement. They also get bossed around indirectly. Sunday Schools tend to be very boring and predictable, and you get blamed for not being excited enough. In general men get blamed for not feeling excited enough.

Yep. Remember Elevatorgate?
No. I'll look it up though.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Obviously my post was "aimed at atheists" considering that the question was about atheism.

I still never blamed all men for meaningless wars or dedicating to fight losing battles.

I also never claimed that the religious could not engage in war - so I don't really know what your comment is all about.

Either way - according to the Encyclopedia of Wars - only 6.98% of known/recorded historical conflicts had religion as their primary cause.
Well it is well known that males do have a greater tendency for aggression and violence than females, but since there are many more males inclined towards religion than atheism, it would seem more likely that such aggression is correlated with religious belief than with atheism.

Fallen Prophet

Well it is well known that males do have a greater tendency for aggression and violence than females, but since there are many more males inclined towards religion than atheism, it would seem more likely that such aggression is correlated with religious belief than with atheism.
I would think that the tendency for aggression would stem from the desire to protect something - either their family, ideals or their own inflated egos.

The things that can make a man the worst can also make him the best - depending on how he decides to use it. Same goes for women.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I would think that the tendency for aggression would stem from the desire to protect something - either their family, ideals or their own inflated egos.

The things that can make a man the worst can also make him the best - depending on how he decides to use it. Same goes for women.
Perhaps more down to increased levels of testosterone in males though:

Testosterone - Wikipedia

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Men are not bad for being more aggressive. There is nothing wrong with aggression as long as it is channeled appropriately - given the situation.

The same goes for more feminine traits. They can also be abused.
Yes, we can look to sport for examples of getting some benefits from such, but it seems many prefer the other options available - like beating people up of a Saturday night for fun, or similar. :oops:

Fallen Prophet

How did you figure that out from my comment?
All you can attribute to male aggression is sports and beating people up for fun.

Male aggression has shaped the world of industry and technology. It has lifted millions out of poverty.

But all you see are games and violence.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
All you can attribute to male aggression is sports and beating people up for fun.

Male aggression has shaped the world of industry and technology. It has lifted millions out of poverty.

But all you see are games and violence.
Bit of a literalist are you? My giving a couple of examples of where testosterone might be involved (and the different behaviours involved) is definitive for you? :D

Fallen Prophet

Bit of a literalist are you? My giving a couple of examples of where testosterone might be involved (and the different behaviours involved) is definitive for you? :D
Based on what you have said on this thread - how is what I said inaccurate?

We owe everything we have and are to men being and acting like men and women being and acting like women.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Based on what you have said on this thread - how is what I said inaccurate?

We owe everything we have and are to men being and acting like men and women being and acting like women.
And never the twain shall meet! And who or what designated our roles? Really think it is that clear cut?

leroy

Faith in numbers: Behind the gender difference of nonreligious Americans
Scholars have long noted that atheism skews male. Meanwhile, critics have pointed toward the apparent dominance of male authors in the “new atheism” movement as evidence of a “boys club.” Indeed, a quick scan of the best-selling books on atheism on Amazon indicates that almost all of them are written by male authors.
My best guess is that men are more likely to question the “status quo”………if I where to bet I´ll say that there are more males that question the holocaust, the 911, global warming, etc……..perhaps men like to “feel smart” while woman have other interests,

leroy

Yes, perhaps its an egos issue, “I like to be an atheist because I want to be different from the masses” this sounds like something that men are more likely to say, than woman.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yes, perhaps its an egos issue, “I like to be an atheist because I want to be different from the masses” this sounds like something that men are more likely to say, than woman.
Atheism is akin to a fashion statement?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
yes

I mean most atheist became atheist when they were teenagers , it´s not like they became atheist because they became super smart scientists and realized that there is no God
I became a non-believer in gods as soon as my brain switched on.
This was significantly prior to becoming a teenager.
(I never did believe in sky fairies. Lifelong atheist here.)