• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism and death

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
For unbeliever and Atheist that's what it would be called, The unknown.
Correct, it's The Unknown.
Making up stories about Omnimax entities doesn't change that fact.

All because they don't believe in God.
I do believe that the term "God" is the best one to describe the reason for why there is something rather than nothing. But don't jump from there to "God is a dude who thinks that gay sex is an abomination, just like I do" without having something a little more substantial than a batch of bronze age legends.
Tom

Aldrnari

What happens to an amoeba when it dies? What about an ant? A dog? What about a chimpanzee? Homo habilis? Neanderthal? Early homo sapiens?

At what point do we determine animals cease to be animals, and are instead people with "souls?"

If it isn't so hard to imagine an ant dying and decomposing back into it's basic elements, then why is it so difficult to imagine people doing the same? People are amazing beings that can shape the very reality we exist in, and their stories can touch us to our very core, but ultimately, we are just corporeal creatures who live and die like everything else on this planet. We are not as special as we would like to think, despite what our egos tell us, IMO...

Reactions: syo

Faithofchristian

I have no proof of an afterlife, so I conclude that there isn't one. Science can't prove something doesn't exist; it can search, not find any evidence and conclude it is very unlikely to exist, but there is always a chance an afterlife exists. You can say the same about unicorns.
I didn't say I'm sure that I'll see you after I die; what I did say was that it'll be your privilege to come up to me if I'm wrong and say, "I told you so"
No, I'm not for getting something. I suppose the biggest gain to me is that I treat this life as my one chance and make the most of it, live it to the full.
Obviously because I do not believe in any god, it follows that I do not believe in god's kingdom; so threats and warnings do not effect my thought process.
I have not denied god, I can assure you in younger years I looked, but the more I looked the more I became convinced that gods were man made concept and in most cases religion is a controlling and money making enterprise.
So if god wants to get in touch, he knows where I am.
btw Which god is it you refer to, Zeus, Thor, Allah, Jesus's dad, Poseidon or the Flying Spaghetti Monster? Whichever it is, I hope it is the last as he likes beer, I'll look out for him/her.

That's exactly my point, Science can't prove life after death.
But the bible can.

If you wish to believe there's no life after death. That's you.

But as for me i would rather believe there is life after death and get there and find there is life. Than to believe there's not and get there and find there is life, and have God turn me away, all because in my life I denyed him.
Hey what's fair is fair, you deny God, then you gave God every right to deny you also.

What goes around comes around.

QuestioningMind

when i say afterlife i mean that our conscience/self will live on. when our body dies it rots but what about our conscience/self? it seems that death destroys our self like our body. a supernatural god can keep our conscience/self intact.

Okay, so let's say we've somehow established that our conscious/self lives on after our physical body dies and rots away. Why do you assert that a supernatural god being is required to keep a conscious/self intact? How do you know that it is even possible for this assumed conscious/self that exists after a body dies to ever NOT be intact?

Faithofchristian

That's Pascal Wager which has been debunked that many times, I'm surprised you have the gall to quote it.
It falls down because you are assuming that this god that will appear is the one you happen to worship.
What if on your death bed Zeus appears? You've spent years worshipping the wrong god. Come and join me in hell!!

Have you any idea who Pascal is.

Pascal was a French man of the Christian faith, who lived back in 1623-62, That after his death, it came down to be called Pascal's Wager,

Pascal's Wager came about, to reinforce the Christian in their faith in God.
Pascal said-- that it is in one's own best interest to believe as if God exist, Since the possibility of eternal punishment in hell out weighs any advantage of believing otherwise.

As to how Atheists come to think that Pascal's Wager has something to do with them.is anyone guess. Which it doesn't, but to the Christian faith in God.

There's another betting process, which is called Hedge Betting.
Is when a Gambler places a bet they cover all their base's, Leaving ñothing to chance, to a gambler this is called hedge Betting.

Like betting on a football team to win and betting on the other football team to win.
This is called Hedge Betting. Covering all your bases.leaving ñothing to chance. That no matter which wins or loses, the gambler still comes out the winner.all because he/she place their bet on both teams to win this is called Hedge Betting.

This is covering all your bases, leaving ñothing to chance.
This way the gambler wins no matter the out come.

Therefore, I'm a hedge better covering all my bases leaving ñothing to chance.

Therefore I believe there is God, so when I die and there is God I win.

When I die and find there is no God, I still win, I haven't lost nothing, that either way I win.

But as for Atheist, when they die and find there is God, they lose.i win. All because I covered all my bases, leaving ñothing to chance.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
To day, you can say all you want to.

But that will all change, when your laying there in your bed and death standing there staring down in your face and the unknown comes to get you, to cross over into the domain of the unknown. What am I facing next over in the unknown.

You see, when I get there and find there is no God, what did I lose, nothing.

But when I get there and there is God, I have everything to gain.

But as for you to find there is God, you lost completely.
You denyed God and now you gave God the right to deny you.

Are you telling me how I consider death? That is a very arrogant statement to make.

I know precisely what will happen to me when i die mythical bronze age desert dreams have no baring on the fact

And threatening people with your mythology is against forum rules.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
But the bible can.

But as for me i would rather believe there is life after death and get there and find there is life. Than to believe there's not and get there and find there is life, and have God turn me away, all because in my life I denyed him.
Hey what's fair is fair, you deny God, then you gave God every right to deny you also.

Which God, though? Oh...sorry. YOUR God. Of course. I guess you spend a heap of time worrying about whether the Halls of Valhalla will be open to you, right?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Have you any idea who Pascal is.

Pascal was a French man of the Christian faith, who lived back in 1623-62, That after his death, it came down to be called Pascal's Wager,

Pascal's Wager came about, to reinforce the Christian in their faith in God.
Pascal said-- that it is in one's own best interest to believe as if God exist, Since the possibility of eternal punishment in hell out weighs any advantage of believing otherwise.

As to how Atheists come to think that Pascal's Wager has something to do with them.is anyone guess. Which it doesn't, but to the Christian faith in God.

There's another betting process, which is called Hedge Betting.
Is when a Gambler places a bet they cover all their base's, Leaving ñothing to chance,

Like betting on a football team to win and betting on the other football team to win.
This is called Hedge Betting. Covering all your bases.leaving ñothing to chance.

This is covering all your bases, leaving ñothing to chance.
This way the gambler wins no matter the out come.

Therefore, I'm a hedge better covering all my bases leaving ñothing to chance.

When I die and find there is no God, I still win, I haven't lost nothing, that either way I win.

But as for Atheist, when they die and find there is God, they lose.i win. All because I covered all my bases, leaving ñothing to chance.

You basically just admitted you follow God out of some twisted self interest. I'm sure he is fine with that. Heck, maybe he doesn't read your posts here and you can fool him once you die?!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
But the bible can.

The bible does not prove life after death in the same way the harry potter novels don't prove magic

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Unless, of course, you picked the wrong one.
And this angry and jealous God is not okay with that.

I believe in God. I don't believe in you humans telling me about God. I don't believe in religion. I think religion is fiction, a primitive notion where humans pick an old story to believe, out of the many many stories out there that humans have invented. Christianity is just a batch of those stories, with a common theme that is not especially important to the story.
Tom

Faithofchristian

Unless, of course, you picked the wrong one.
And this angry and jealous God is not okay with that.

I believe in God. I don't believe in you humans telling me about God. I don't believe in religion. I think religion is fiction, a primitive notion where humans pick an old story to believe, out of the many many stories out there that humans have invented. Christianity is just a batch of those stories, with a common theme that is not especially important to the story.
Tom

That all depends on which Christianity your referring to.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That all depends on which Christianity your referring to.
No it doesn't.
Christianity is fiction. It comes in many varieties already, and there will doubtless be more over time.
But, no, which versions of Christianity I don't find credible doesn't matter. The more credible ones are the ones that have best adopted secular ethics.
Tom

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Nobody really knows what happens after death. Belief, or non belief, has no merit to it. All is assumption here!

I suppose either we will never know, or know in time.

You can make cases for, or against the after life and it will seem what it seems.

But nobody really knows! And what seems likely don't really matter.

Reality holds it's own cards regardless.

Grandliseur

suppose atheism is correct and there is no god. what happens when we die?
The same as what the Bible says, on dying everything returns to not being any longer as a single organism. Our material husk of a corpse is recycled. There is nothing left.
Ecclesiastes 3:18-20 18 I, even I, have said in my heart with regard to the sons of mankind that the [true] God is going to select them, that they may see that they themselves are beasts. 19 For there is an eventuality as respects the sons of mankind and an eventuality as respects the beast, and they have the same eventuality. As the one dies, so the other dies; and they all have but one spirit, so that there is no superiority of the man over the beast, for everything is vanity. 20 All are going to one place. They have all come to be from the dust, and they are all returning to the dust.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What happens to an amoeba when it dies? What about an ant? A dog? What about a chimpanzee? Homo habilis? Neanderthal? Early homo sapiens?

At what point do we determine animals cease to be animals, and are instead people with "souls?"

If it isn't so hard to imagine an ant dying and decomposing back into it's basic elements, then why is it so difficult to imagine people doing the same? People are amazing beings that can shape the very reality we exist in, and their stories can touch us to our very core, but ultimately, we are just corporeal creatures who live and die like everything else on this planet. We are not as special as we would like to think, despite what our egos tell us, IMO...
I'm totally open to all forms of life living on, if there is more life to be bad after the brain dies. Humans aren't special.

Beetlejuice is on. There's no mention of any deity in that movie's afterlife. Just remember to read your:
jpsq_beetlejuice_handbook_journal.jpg

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
suppose atheism is correct and there is no god. what happens when we die?
I don't think the hypothetical existence of a god makes any difference there, nor that it should make any.

Death is indeed death. When we die, we die. We may leave behind some sort of legacy, hopefully a significant, constructive cultural one. Others may or may not carry on from that legacy.

I fail to see how or why it could or should deviate from that in any way.